How-To:Totally Integrate Google Voice

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by mekishiko, Nov 12, 2009.

1. sp90378

sp90378 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    WHat exactly do you mean?

2. microbolt

microbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, then you have unlimited outbound calling ;)

I have both my Google access number and my Google number in my Friends and family. I get unlimited inbound and outbound that way as I override the inbound callerid to my Google Voice number (via settings in Google Voice website) so that if someone calls me I don't see their callerid I see Google Voices.

#14 microbolt, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have certain calling plans, you can add up to 10 numbers that are not on the Verizon network and those calls will not count against your minutes. My wife and I share 1400 minutes and unlimited text/picture messaging and the 10 friends and family list is included.

Awesome. Thanks!

4. castalia

castalia New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am almost certain that google voice is actually making the call VOIP. Now I'll admit I could be wrong here, but everything I have read leads me to believe I am not. Since switching to only using google voice I am WAY below my normal minute usage.

So in essence you can use Zero Minutes and Zero Texts. Not sure how long Verizon will let that last of course...

Just my two cents.

5. adam8ch

adam8ch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You are misinformed. If you dial w/ google voice it does use your minutes. I've checked my statement every day since I got my droid comparing the gvoice calls vs the non gvoice calls. SMS outgoing using the Gvoice app is free however.

When you dial w/ Google Voice you will notice at the top of the call screen there is a message in a white box at the top that says:

Calling via Google Voice
    +### ### ####

That number is a Google Call Center that routes your call to whatever number you dialed. It is this number that will show up on your statement for call usage.

There really should be a Google Voice FAQ :/

That needs to be sticked somewhere

#17 adam8ch, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  6. sp90378

sp90378 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats not too far off, as google just bought Gizmo.
    Make Free VoIP Calls from Google Voice - Google Voice - Lifehacker

It will be a program on a computer so you can use it as skype, but they also have the app for the phones.
    So soon we will probally see completly free voip using Gizmo and Google Voice.

7. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe Im not fully under standing this. I have a google voice number and my cell number. Friends and family have my cell number and businesses and others have my google voice number. I have it set up to ring my phone when the google voice number is called, thats easy. But I followed the directions on the forwarding part with the dialing of *71######## etc and set that up. Now when I call *86 or press the voicemail icon from the dialer I am prompted to leave a voice mail. Is that right? or when I call *86 shouldnt that be checking my voicemail or do I have to call my google voice number to check it?

As long as voicemails to my cell number and google voice number are left with google voicmail then im fine, Im just trying to make sure Ive done it correctly.

8. mekishiko

mekishiko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have to dial your google voice number to check your google VM.

You can set the Voice Mail Number to your GV number under the DROID settings, that way when you click CHECK VM it will dial your GV voice mail, or hold 1 down to check VM etc.

as far as using your friends and family as GV access number this is a great idea, but i did some research (and confirmed my access number has changed at least once in the first week.

check my post #6 on this thread

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/2182-how-totally-integrate-google-voice.html#post17849

#20 mekishiko, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  9. daddycat31

daddycat31 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing keeping me from using google voice for texting is that it doesn't support MMS. That would make it complete I think.

10. Luxferro

Luxferro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can also set google voice to foward to your gmail account that your droid is setup with. This will give you instant text messages, since gmail is pushed to your phone and it's all integrated ;)

I've blocked verizon texts on my phone, and just use GV. I had had it so I get a SMS notification, and a GMail notification when getting texts. And the GMail notifications always came before the SMS. Right now, I just disable SMS notifications, so I don't get duplicates now - just get a new GMail notification when someone texts me.

11. Mateles

Mateles Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The last time I tried voicemail forwarding from my regular # it took too many rings to get there. Whatever the normal # of rings is + 3 or 4 more (at least) once they're forwarded to google voice.

Who wants to wait 10+ rings to leave a voicemail? Or did they change this?

12. GoGators

GoGators Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to have SMS come from the original Veizon number and the Google voice number too? I can get SMS from te Google number, but when sent to the old Verizon number, nothing comes through.

Update: If you leave the messenger notifications on, you get both. I still do not know if both can be sent through Google Voice.

#24 GoGators, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
Search tags for this page
google voice android hack
google voice integrated with google calendar
google voice integration hack

google voice integration verizon

google voice integration with verizon

google voice integration with verizon?
how to hack google voice with andriod phone
i set up gvoice wrong
integrate google voice with android phone