How-To:Totally Integrate Google Voice

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mekishiko, Nov 12, 2009.

1. mekishiko

mekishiko New Member

Not technically a hack, but Just a tutorial for those who want to integrate Google Voice transparently on their DROID and other Android powered phones.

1) First Get a Google Voice account here: https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

2) Log into it and click on the SETTINGS link in the top right

3) Click on the PHONES tab and click ADD PHONE

4) Type in the name fo rthe phone profile EG: MY VERIZON DROID or whatever

5) Enter the phone type, select MOBILE in the drop down box, and make sure RECEIVE SMS check box is ticked.

6) Click on SHOW ADVANCED SETTINGS and from there you can disable the need for a PIN code if you call to check Voicemail from your Cell Phone (If you want)

7) Finish by clicking SAVE you will be given a 2-digit number, click CONNECT and your cell phone will ring, an automated voice will ask you to type in the number given on the website, so type it in! if successful you should hear "Your forwarding phone is active" then you can hang up

8) You should still be on your Google voice settings page, on the PHONES tab. click the link right next to the new phone entry that says "ACTIVATE GOOGLE VOICEMAIL ON THIS PHONE"

9) a window will pop up asking you to "Switch your voicemail to google voice" the number of the cell should already be there, but you have to use the drop down box to select your carrier (Verizon for Droid users) and click continue

10) the window will change to an activation screen with a number *71########## (Where # is your Google voice number) so grab your phone, and enter that exactly as shown, and press CALL as if you were calling someone. It will connect and then it will hang up, an dyou're done with that.

11) Grab your phone and go to the Android Market and search GOOGLE VOICE and download the official GV app. Install it.

12) Install it, and set the phone to USE GV FOR ALL CALLS in the GV SETTINGS

13) Go back to your Google Voice page, click SETTINGS and click the VOICEMAIL AND SMS tab.

14) Disable Voicemail transcription if you want, or pick SEND AS SMS or FORWARD AS EMAIL. Whatever is your pleasure.

15) Now grab your cell phone again, and open up the default sms text program called MESSAGING and press the Menu key, then click SETTINGS and make sure DELETE OLD MESSAGES is checked, then scroll to the bottom and UNCHECK the NOTIFICATIONS box.

16) Now make a link to the Google Voice Application on the Home Screen or wherever you used to have your MESSAGING icon.

What this does is it sends SMS to both Google Voice SMS AND to your carriers SMS system, which forces the Google Voice application to check for new messages so they are delivered INSTANTLY instead of having it find messages at intervals which is slow, creates conversational delay, and wastes battery.

(sms tip is from robertbaker13 on google forums)

17) LAST STEP! make sure all of your numbers are in 10-digit format EG: 6195551234 if your numbers are in any other format EG: +16195551234 or 5551234 then your Google voice Number will not show up on their Caller ID INSTEAD your actual carrier # will show up and confuse people if you're trying to use GV as your primary contact number.
  2. lolcatz

lolcatz New Member

Really interesting....

so i can send/receive unlimited texts with this?...

I already have the VOICE completely integrated :)
  3. adam8ch

adam8ch New Member

google voice still uses your regular minutes(and in cases where you would be calling a M2M user, uses more minutes) and uses your regular txting quota. i'd keep a close eye on your usage statements if you are trying to integrate Google Voice.
  4. VitsDroid

VitsDroid New Member

You can text through the google voice app and it doesn't use your sms allotment from verizon it uses your data plan, and you can set up google voice to send you the texts to your email instead of your sms and you would use data in that instance.
  5. bguild

bguild New Member

anyone having problems with the http links to the Gvoice recordings of the voicemails? I am getting a "google internal server error 500" when clicking those links. I can play the voicemails out of the Gvoice application, but that is a pain, I'd rather just click the link. Thoughts?
  6. mekishiko

mekishiko New Member

Also: Has anyone tried checking out their bill yet that is using google voice?

I am a new verizon customer so i'm not too familiar with the frequency call details are refreshed on the account page, but wouldn't it be cool to add the Google Voice Phone number that is uses as a proxy as a "Friends and family" in order to have unlimited minutes?

EDIT: I guess the access number that GV uses changes every so often so you'd have to keep an eye on it like every 3 days or so in order to catch the change and update your Friends & Family records. What a pain.

Source: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=4ed8dfcef914c3cf&hl=en
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. namelessNN

namelessNN New Member

i set up gvoice to send my txt messages to my email. then had my gf send me a txt to my gvoice #. on my phone, i got it as an email AND a txt msg. and my verizon account reflected the txt msg.
  8. sp90378

sp90378 New Member

If you set it up right, you can. I currently have texting on verizons end disabled on my phone, and yet I am sending texts and everything else just fine. Just make sure you get the google voice account and app on the phone, and then for me i disabled sms forwarding in google voices settings. In the phone under contacts I can now select a person and hit text and then when I send it, google voice is the one that I have default for sending texts. Now when I get a text my phone blink and I get a notification from the google voice app that i have a text, then I open google voice and there is the text. i can then from there reply and everything as if i was texting from my phone.
    So for me, I have texting integrated as if I was using the phones texting system, when indeed I am using Google voices. And again I am not using any texts from verizon as I even have it turned off on their end.
  9. mekishiko

mekishiko New Member

Yeah to get it to not copy the text to your verizon number you need to login to GV on a computer and go to SETTINGS and then VOICEMAIL AND SMS

then UNCHECK the box that says "Send a text (SMS) message to: YOURPHONENAME"

then click SAVE CHANGES

let me know how that goes.

And yeah you can totally not use your carrier (Verizon) text services when you are using google voice, The method I used is because 1) I have unlimited TXT, and 2) It causes the phone to check the GV system for new texts when it gets dinged with a new Verizon SMS message. It is definitely not necesarry, but I don't like to wait the 5, 10, or 15 minutes it takes to refresh for notification of a new message.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  10. namelessNN

namelessNN New Member

i DID do that :) it still sent me the txt and email both. that's what had me so confused.

i checked the box for "Email the message to:" and i unchecked the box for "Send a text (SMS) message to:"

i also didn't check the box for SMS Forwarding. it says Forward SMS message to my email: as that seemed a bit redundant with the above setting. perhaps that has to be checked as well?
  11. sp90378

sp90378 New Member

Try this, the first box is actually only for VOICEMAIL. So enable the email one, and then uncheck the Send a text (SMS) message to:

The section below it, which says SMS Forwarding, check that box and then put in your email.

Also you could always log into myverizon and disable texting on your phone, which will make sure you never get texts to your verizon number.

Hmm, idk whats wrong then. And yah i use it because my dad would not let me get texting on our family plan, costing $30 a month, yet he let me get this phone even know its costing $30 a month.... Go Figure, so for me, this is way better than nothing!!

Hopefully they are able to have it so whenever you get a text message to the googie voice number, it notifies the google voice app on the phone. Seems to be a better solution than refreshing only after soo many mins.
  12. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Could you add the Google Voice access number to your friends and family out of network list?
  13. sp90378

sp90378 New Member

WHat exactly do you mean?
  14. microbolt

microbolt New Member

Yep, then you have unlimited outbound calling ;)

I have both my Google access number and my Google number in my Friends and family. I get unlimited inbound and outbound that way as I override the inbound callerid to my Google Voice number (via settings in Google Voice website) so that if someone calls me I don't see their callerid I see Google Voices.
  15. JhankG

JhankG New Member

If you have certain calling plans, you can add up to 10 numbers that are not on the Verizon network and those calls will not count against your minutes. My wife and I share 1400 minutes and unlimited text/picture messaging and the 10 friends and family list is included.

Awesome. Thanks!
  16. castalia

castalia New Member

I am almost certain that google voice is actually making the call VOIP. Now I'll admit I could be wrong here, but everything I have read leads me to believe I am not. Since switching to only using google voice I am WAY below my normal minute usage.

So in essence you can use Zero Minutes and Zero Texts. Not sure how long Verizon will let that last of course...

Just my two cents.
  17. adam8ch

adam8ch New Member

You are misinformed. If you dial w/ google voice it does use your minutes. I've checked my statement every day since I got my droid comparing the gvoice calls vs the non gvoice calls. SMS outgoing using the Gvoice app is free however.

When you dial w/ Google Voice you will notice at the top of the call screen there is a message in a white box at the top that says:

Calling via Google Voice
    +### ### ####

That number is a Google Call Center that routes your call to whatever number you dialed. It is this number that will show up on your statement for call usage.

There really should be a Google Voice FAQ :/

That needs to be sticked somewhere
  18. sp90378

sp90378 New Member

Thats not too far off, as google just bought Gizmo.
    Make Free VoIP Calls from Google Voice - Google Voice - Lifehacker

It will be a program on a computer so you can use it as skype, but they also have the app for the phones.
    So soon we will probally see completly free voip using Gizmo and Google Voice.
  19. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Maybe Im not fully under standing this. I have a google voice number and my cell number. Friends and family have my cell number and businesses and others have my google voice number. I have it set up to ring my phone when the google voice number is called, thats easy. But I followed the directions on the forwarding part with the dialing of *71######## etc and set that up. Now when I call *86 or press the voicemail icon from the dialer I am prompted to leave a voice mail. Is that right? or when I call *86 shouldnt that be checking my voicemail or do I have to call my google voice number to check it?

As long as voicemails to my cell number and google voice number are left with google voicmail then im fine, Im just trying to make sure Ive done it correctly.
  20. mekishiko

mekishiko New Member

You have to dial your google voice number to check your google VM.

You can set the Voice Mail Number to your GV number under the DROID settings, that way when you click CHECK VM it will dial your GV voice mail, or hold 1 down to check VM etc.

as far as using your friends and family as GV access number this is a great idea, but i did some research (and confirmed my access number has changed at least once in the first week.

check my post #6 on this thread

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/2182-how-totally-integrate-google-voice.html#post17849
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
Search tags for this page
google voice android hack
google voice android hacks
google voice hacks and tips
google voice integrated with google calendar
google voice integration hack

google voice integration verizon

google voice integration with verizon

google voice integration with verizon?
how to hack google voice with andriod phone
i set up gvoice wrong