How to theme Cyanogen Roms-- Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Manigma77, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Manigma77

Manigma77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried theming cyan roms the conventional way like I do everthing else. Whether if it's using mm directly or moving framework-res to sd card, theming, then putting it back. These ways didn't work for me.

I really want to use this rom but I need to be able to theme it, maybe I am missing something here, can someone please help????

2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using normal "made-for-Droid" themes? Most of those will NOT work on CyanogenMod without tweaking the theme beforehand. Look for themes that specifically say they were made for CyanogenMod. And also, a lot of CyanogenMod Nexus One themes will work too :)

3. Manigma77

Manigma77 Member

Ratings:
    +0

I would like to use my own themes, could you please explain what "tweaking" needs to be done and I could do it?

4. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need to make sure and start with the original cyanogen package you are running... copy it and then start doing your thing.... then push it to your phone or make an update.zip from it.

You can't use other ROM's base to start with.... it won't work and this is most likely what is happening.

5. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, most of the time what makes them all incompatible, is the xml's in framework. You can use the same .png images from other themes.

What I would do, is go in the framework-res folder of your MM theme. Click res. And if you have a layout folder in there delete everything in it. Also do the same thing if you have a folder named color.

*NOTE: if you dont already have a folder named "color" in framework-res of your MM theme, then don't worry about adding the "color" folder to the theme.

Now, back out of everything until your at the part of the theme. Where you can see framework-res folder again. If you have a folder named services, or any other folder that would have a file named "services.jar" in it, delete the services.jar file but leave the empty folder.

Download this file:
    CM-fix_files

Extract that file and replace the "layout" folder, "color" folder, and services.jar with the ones I provided. Make sure you put those 3 things in the EXACT same places they were.

"layout" goes in /framework-res/res/ directory of your MM theme. "color" also goes in the /framework-res/res/ directory. "services.jar" should be placed in a folder named "services" in the root directory of your theme. If there wasn't already a folder that had services.jar in it, then you need to create the folder and place services.jar inside of it. And then edit the .thm document to include

services.cpy
    /system/framework/

And then the .thm doc HAS to be saved in a linux style format or Android cannot read it. So if you only use Windows and didn't already have a services.jar in your theme, then you might be out of luck :(

If you do try this, let me know if it worked!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  6. Manigma77

Manigma77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx, I'm downloading a theme now from the newest build and I will replace it's picture files with mine then run it as the update.zip. I'll keep ya posted.

7. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Only way that I can get the framework to theme is by doing the update.zip method. I suppose I could do the whole MM to sdcard but that is getting old.

EDIT: I have another question. I have tried to add wallpapers to the launcher and they don't show up in the wallpaper gallery. How do you add more wallpapers with a theme besides doing the default wallpaper way? Also where does Koush store the other wallpapers? Like the cheerleader one, surfing android and such.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  8. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes from my experience touching the framework while running is a no-go.... along with the phone and contacts. Update.zip is the best method so far.

As far as wallpapers, they are in each launcher... I have added and replaced a few with no trouble.

9. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too cannot add wallpapers.
    When I pull out the launcher, and add the wallpapers, and then move it from my sd card back into /system/app/, and it overwrites the existing launcher (w/ the new wallpapers), so I need to install the launcher?

10. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do my updates with update.zip files, I'm not sure why they would not work for you guy pushing them though. Maybe try deleting the old launcher then pushing the new one with the new wallpapers.

11. marty4short

marty4short Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Easiest way is to just make a folder on your sd card copy all your wall papers there also saves room in system that way. I also liked what jrummy did with his goodies folder I don't run his rom but i do like the scripts. The only way i can get stuffed themed is to use the update.zip I redid forkup's buff theme this way and added some stuff from others work that i liked.
    To install the scripts extract the script folder http://www.***********and place it on the root of your sdcard. Then type the following in adb shell or terminal emulator:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox cp /sdcard/scripts/installscripts /system/xbin
    installscripts

*some scripts require the goodies folder to be on the root of your sdcard*
    ENJOY!

12. Manigma77

Manigma77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE:
    Thanx for all of the help guys, I finally got it. Turns out I was doing it right all along, but, it wasn't until I used adb shell to push framework-res that I finally figured out the problem. I was installing too many apps into system/app before applying theme, and adb said "not enough room in system"
    So I restored my "base" backup and applied the theme first and Hell Yeah!! It finally worked.

I'll post some pics later, Thanx Again!!

13. Manigma77

Manigma77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I finally got it themed pretty much the way I want it, Here are some pics.

Just so everyone knows, I do not take credit for all of these pics, I have used many objects out of many themes along with some of my own work to get the look I wanted.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. bL33d

bL33d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that looks damn nice!!! would be sweet cyanogen blue/turquoise :)

Search tags for this page
android cyanogen remove theme
cyanogenmod wallpaper directory
folder themes cyanogenmod
how do i get different themes for cyanogen
how to create a cyanogenmod theme
how to make a theme for cyanogenmod
how to make cm theme

how to theme cyanogenmod

make a cm themes
where is the directory cyanogenmod theme