How to theme an app

Hobn

Reaction score
So I'm trying to theme an app, Thumb Keyboard. I've tried opening the apk from TI/Astro backups and repackaging it, which didn't work, because the app manager didn't recognize it. I tried Ninjamorph, but it just makes the app stop responding every few seconds and pop up that FC dialogue. When I uninstall the patched app, the phone soft reboots. So how would I go about theming the keyboard by replacing the png files in the apk? They're the same res, still png files, and I edited them in GIMP.

jrracinfan

Reaction score
Use 7zip and adb push over the top of the current apk.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
Could you explain what that means?

Reaction score
You can't use ninjamorph on non system apps, at least as far as I know.. what I do is unzip, replace images, zip, change extension to .apk then resign with zipsigner which is in the market.
Oh and you'll need to un install the current app too or it won't let you install it.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
Didn't work, even tried deleting META-INF, which I heard about on another forum.

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
I just tried using APK manager 4.9 and it STILL didn't work. I set up my adb and everything too. I signed and zipaligned in APK manager. Maybe it has something to do with LGB v0.7. The 0.7 Droid 2 users were complaining that the themed Liberty keyboard had constant FC's.

Reaction score
Were the pictures that you were editing .9.pgn files? Because if they were and you weren't compiling them after an edit that would cause it to not work. And you do need to delete the META-INF file then resign.

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
Nope, regular PNG files. I was using a script so I assume it was doing that for me. I'll try doing it manually, and installing Mobile Sensei's Liberty Keyboard and see if I have any problems with that.

Reaction score
Alright hope it works.
Oh you should link the images you're trying to put into it to me so I can give it a try too :)

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
Turns out there's an easy way to make skins for Smart Keyboard. It involves 9pngs, but at least it should work. Thumb Keyboard was a bit hard to use anyhow.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
For 9pngs, if I just edit them will I get errors or just a deformed GUI? Like if I want to change the 9pngs to a solid color, can I just edit them and save? What if I just change colors?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
You need to use the draw-9 patch program then re compile with either eclipse or xUltimate which I prefer. There are tons of guides on line and I still don't always do the draw-9 correctly every time.