How to tether Ipad with Droid

droidkeeper

Reaction score
I have seen other posts on this question but has anyone found a way without rooting? Does easytether work or does it require a download to a computer?I have tried pda net but that requires a download. Thanks for all replies.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
To my knowledge, the ONLY way to tether wirelessly is by rooting. I have heard rumors of pulling a Bluetooth tethering method for the iPad but I never got it to work successfully. So I got tired of waiting and rooted.

OP
D

droidkeeper

Reaction score
Thank you for your response but I'm not really good at all of that stuff and I'm afraid of downloading viruses on my computer. Do you think there is an easier way to unroot if you need to? What happens if your phone does break under warranty and you can't unroot?

CBusTBone

Reaction score
I had this same question about tethering without rooting as well. Here's my situation.

I'm a Verizon Wireless customer. I'm in the market for either the Droid X or Droid 2. I'm also looking to buy an iPad (maybe from Verizon, maybe from Best Buy or elsewhere).

I noticed the iPads sold at Verizon are actually WiFi only and bundled with a MiFi hotspot card to connect to Verizon's 3G network and then allow iPad to connect through WiFi.

Rather than paying Verizon's $20 iPad MiFi data plan, I'm thinking I might invest in a Droid X or Droid 2 that has WiFi hotspot capabilities, pay that $30 data plan, and then connect my iPad through the Droid phone.

Will I need to root the phone? Verizon advertises the phones' hotspot abilities.

Reaction score
If you don't want to pay the extra $20 for only 2GB of tethering with the X/2 then yes you will need to root.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I just got my girlfriend an iPad for her birthday on the 21st. We tethered it using Wireless tether on my rooted DX just fine.

SIDE NOTE. I want a 10 inch Android tab but they're taking forever. I'm seriously thinking about the iPad for myself this week. I liked using it while watching TV in the basement and not having to go to the computer room upstairs to fiddle with email or check something out online.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got my girlfriend an iPad for her birthday on the 21st. We tethered it using Wireless tether on my rooted DX just fine.

SIDE NOTE. I want a 10 inch Android tab but they're taking forever. I'm seriously thinking about the iPad for myself this week. I liked using it while watching TV in the basement and not having to go to the computer room upstairs to fiddle with email or check something out online.

Thanks for the confirmation, Dusty.

I'm going to get my wife an iPad for Christmas and was hoping to be able to tether with my Droid when we travel. Based on your post the last barrier has been removed.

Mike

Nblufire12

Reaction score
Rooting doesn't give you viruses, nothing should give you a virus from this forum...

I've Tethered my iPod Touch with my Droid 1's Wireless Tether App so it'll work for iPad as well!!!

ammodroid

Reaction score
Can I do that with my droid? I'm running Cricket thru it but I dont think the droid can send out the wi-fi signal...am I wrong? If I am, what app do I need? I just bought an ipad and would love to use the wifi signal from the droid to use it.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Thanks for the confirmation, Dusty.

I'm going to get my wife an iPad for Christmas and was hoping to be able to tether with my Droid when we travel. Based on your post the last barrier has been removed.

Mike

Mike, tethering with the Incredible works great with the iPad. I've been doing it since I bought my iPad and love it. Speed is just fine on browsing while tethered.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks JK! I know she will enjoy the ability to play cards (bridge)while driving.

Mike

OP
D

droidkeeper

Reaction score
For people that don't know alot about computers is rooting hard? I know there's step by step instructions but does anyone know the easiest way?