1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How to tell if you have root in froyo 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by joleme, Jun 12, 2010.

1. joleme

joleme New Member

Hello All, as like most posters I am a bit new to all this. Here is my progression of issues and my question.

I performed the steps here to root my 2.1 droid.
    Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

No real problem there, but I didn't do the last 1 minute of it to check if it did give me root access, i simply went on to installing froyo 2.2.... kinda dumb.

I have froyo running on my droid now, wifi fixed, market fixed. When I install certain programs I do get a popup box asking for access, but when i open the SU program I just get a blank black screen.

Is that how it is supposed to be? I doubt it, and can i fix it in 2.2, or will i have to revert back to 2.1 and start over to get root on 2.2?

I have tried about 3-4 of the different "update.zip" files that are suppossed to give you root, but i dont know if that would "fix" the SU program.

Any pointers would be nice.

Thanks
  2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

The su program/icon does not do anything until actually use a program that requires root access. Once you have such a program, the first time you run it a box will pop up asking whether or not you want to allow it root access, and whether to "remember". Once you do this for these other root access programs, when you click on the su app a box will cone up with a list of root programs, and their access. Nothing more.

Since you are freshly rooted, most folks agree that some type of terminal program or root explorer is pretty necessary. The terminal program runs like a windows command prompt. allowing you to hand type commands. The explorer program is just like windows "my computer". for the most part.

I use Terminal Emulator Pro for terminal. In this program you type SU,to enter super user permission. For explorers, Root Explorer would likely be consider a staple for most root users. I use this and I also use SUFBS. If you do not want to pay for a program, you can use the base Terminal Emulator program to at least confirm root access. You could also search the market for other programs that you typically might use that say "require root access". Any should trip the SU program for a root prompt.

Craig

Edit: Just to clarify, if your SU box is blank/black, it just likley means you have not installed any root access required programs.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

The latest version of 2.2 will comes with root so if you're using the latest version and you see Superuser, you are definitely rooted. As previous poster said you have to use apps that require Superuser. SetCPU is probably one you want to get to overclock your Droid so you would see that in there.
  4. joleme

joleme New Member

well that makes me feel better then, thank you for the replies. It is much appreciated.
Search tags for this page

how do i know if i have froyo 2.2

how do i know if i have root access on droid
how do i know if my froyo is rooted
how do i know ifi have su on my android

how do you know if someone has roots on you

how do you know if you have froyo

how to know if i have froyo 2.2
how to know if you have froyo
how to tell if someone has root on you
how to tell which droid i have