How To Sync Music Between Your Phone and Google Play Music

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Google Play Music is a pretty good service. You are able to buy and listen to just about any song you can think of. All the music is stored online so you don't have to worry about downloading songs to your phone taking up precious phone storage space. There are a few drawbacks to Google Play Music. You have to buy the songs you want to listen to from the GPM service. If you have music you already own on your PC or Phone you won't be able to upload it to GPM to store on the cloud, at least Google doesn't give you an option to do so. Also you aren't able to share songs between accounts which is a bummer since each family could have several different accounts.

There is a way to sync up your songs to Google Play Music. You will need a few things to get started. You need an "always on PC", Cloud storage service, Google Play Music Manager, An Android Device, and ES File Explorer. Once you have all of these head to the link below for the full guide.

via XDA

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I thought that the Music Manager lets you upload your own tunes? That's what I did back in the day when the service first started. I uploaded over 6k songs.

Of course, now I subscribe to All Access, so it's kinda redundant and some of those songs didn't quite rip properly or with the best quality thanks to the old PC that they had been loaded on initially.

Anyway, my question stands. You can't use Music Manager to upload your music?

Or is this a way to keep your library on your PC constantly synced with GPM?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just did that for a customer a couple weeks ago. Google has an installable program for PCs that will auto upload ALL the music it finds on the PC, including iTunes to the Google cloud, and 50,000, (They recently upped it from 20,000), files are free. It's a slow process to get them uploaded but once there all that music is available through the Music app on your phone/tablet. And, of course they are now backed up as well.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Oh. Just read the source. This is kind of a workaround for uploading files from your phone instead of PC, but using a PC as the middle man.

Create a Google Drive folder on the PC and set Google music manager to upload that file, place music files in that Google Drive folder from your phone and it syncs them to the cloud. Can also be used to sync music from one person's phone to another's (different google play accounts).

Kinda handy I guess, but still seems like more work than it's worth to me.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I've tried for years to get my sister off of iTunes (despite the fact that she has an Android phone); but like most people, she fears change and still thinks it's convenient.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've tried for years to get my sister off of iTunes (despite the fact that she has an Android phone); but like most people, she fears change and still thinks it's convenient.
Ugh. (I know I don't have to tell YOU this) It's not though. So bloated. Maybe it's better now, but back when I had an iPod and an android phone, I used it on several different PC's. Took a long time to load and just overall wasn't a pleasant experience to me at all.

As soon as my phone could handle it, I dumped all of my songs out of iTunes. Drag and Drop baby. Then I uploaded them to GPM. Problem solved. Especially with All Access Streaming just about anything I can think of.