how to stream video from home?

damarious25

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a software/app combination that can stream video from home pc to an android device (full screen and including .mkv)???

new to forum, did a quick search with no results, really sorry if this comes up a lot.

question: I have ORB (media streaming software) on a home pc and bought orb app but its horrible.

quickly after sky fire browser (with flash support) came out someone posted on the ORB forum that logging into ORB through the browser and not the app worked perfect, and it did.

just a day or two after, ORB somehow blocked access/login to ORB from stock android browser and sky fire (can still get in with other browsers but they don't support flash).

I've been waiting for ORB to re-allow access to log in but I've given up. its a money grab for them now I fear... :-(

I was wondering if there is any other software/app combination that can stream full screen video to device and including .mkv?

thanks!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can't say about MKV files, but I use Opera Mini (mycast.orb.com) and it streams perfectly from my Orb'ed PC at home.. I'll see if can stream m2ts files, which are in effect HD video as well, but it wouldn't be stream to the Droid as such.

OP
D

damarious25

Reaction score
Ok. I had tried opera but became frustrated because I don't like the browser at all. I find it slow and unresponsive. I have to hit the login button about 4 or 5 times.

Either way, it let me log in so thanks, but it still didn't work. I tried different speeds and ran the speed test but never got video or live tv.

Also not a fan of not being able to control stream type and downloading the stream file. With sky fire you could select flash and it was really fast.

So I'm still looking elsewhere. I'll test opera again, but as of now its a no go for me.

Thanks though. :)

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I know it won't stream m2ts files, so probably a no go with the MKV files.... TV and DVDs stream decent for me, but you can hardly expect HD content thru Orb.
Try streaming in different formats, in Oreb's settings

OP
D

damarious25

Reaction score
That's the problem with opera, it wont let you change orb stream settings.

I tired many file types at slow speeds to test but nothing works.

Sky fire would read any flash stream. I had 1080p files streaming for the one night it worked. Obviously it wasn't that resolution on my milestone, but that's not the point, the poont is that is it streamed, and fast.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's the problem with opera, it wont let you change orb stream settings.

I tired many file types at slow speeds to test but nothing works.

Sky fire would read any flash stream. I had 1080p files streaming for the one night it worked. Obviously it wasn't that resolution on my milestone, but that's not the point, the poont is that is it streamed, and fast.
I didn't have luck with SkyFire... will try it now...

OP
D

damarious25

Reaction score
just a day or two after, ORB somehow blocked access/login to ORB from stock android browser and sky fire (can still get in with other browsers but they don't support flash).

I've been waiting for ORB to re-allow access to log in but I've given up. its a money grab for them now I fear... :-(!

As I said. Sky fire worked amazing, for about one night.

Now it gets stuck in a loading loop when you try to log into orb.

rjax

Reaction score
I can (somtimes) stream MKV files through the mycast.orb.com using xScope browser. You can probably do it with other browsers besides xScope and Opera Mini, too, but that's just a guess.

But the better solution is probably an app that uses the Orb client: Microsorb - Android app on AppBrain -- it's free, with some definite drawbacks... no playlists, for instance. But for video, that might not be such a big deal.

There's also a bunch of differing levels of official Orb clients for sale in the market if you want to go that way. Just search OrbLive.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Orblive sucks... and you did better than I with Skyfire because I can't get it to play shiet!!... only view pics and documents.

Funny how it's different for each of us eh?... I'll try out xScope, but I doubt it'd stream any better than OperaMini in my case... well for TV and VOBs, MP4s, AVIs

rjax

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not using OrbLive either. But right now, I'm streaming a 1080i MKV with Microsorb, and it's working surprisingly well (granted, it's over Wi-Fi).

Microsorb might not work at first (it didn't for me), but after a couple tries updating the media, it's working great for me, though unfortunately you have to run a manual update any time you add new media.

OP
D

damarious25

Reaction score
It is different for all of us.
xscope: not working... not loading websites.

Microrb: it must be fairly new. Failed media update twice. I have a lot of video files. I might need indexing.

And mbk, you managed to log in with sky fire????????? If I could log in with it i'd have no issue. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but I'm always stuck in a redirecting loop when I try to log in.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And mbk, you managed to log in with sky fire????????? If I could log in with it i'd have no issue. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but I'm always stuck in a redirecting loop when I try to log in.
I know you're referring to OperaMini and the finicky login screen... yeah, I logged on once and remembered the login info so it goes directly to my account///lmao...nut I very well know what you meant

OP
D

damarious25

Reaction score
lol. Opera does have a finicky log in butyou said you also managed to log in with sky fire?

rjax

Reaction score
Microrb: it must be fairly new. Failed media update twice. I have a lot of video files. I might need indexing.

I think Microsorb failed me at least twice before it eventually worked. I don't think I did anything in particular to get it work, it just did. Maybe I backed out of the app after each failure, may have even restarted my Droid once. I've got a couple hundred videos and thousands of songs, and eventually it got them all.

rjax

Reaction score
A couple notes about xScope -- the free version doesn't support opening downloads directly from the browser, so I'm pretty sure the paid is the way to go if you want to try that route.

I also had login problems with xScope at first, but I kept trying, and it did work... but only after it worked in Opera Mini. I don't if there's a connection there. Now I have a bookmark going straight to Audio, Video, etc. and have my username/password saved, and it works fine.