How to stream music from pc to droid?

mx6er587

Reaction score
I have an extensive music/video collection on my pc (much larger then the droid 16gb capacity) that is shared with all the other computers in the house over wifi. How would I go about streaming this to the droid?

Fuglly

Reaction score
actually id use (and i do use!) gmote. not only does it allow you to remotely play songs on your computer but with the push of a touch screen you can change it to stream directly to your droid. Only drawback is this only works while connected to the same network as your pc. other then that its a great app!

OP
M

mx6er587

Reaction score
Gmote looks close to what I want but not quite. I don't want to have to install anything on the media server, and I don't need to be able to access the files from anywhere. I just want to be able to stream my music to the droid while its connected to my home wifi. The files are on the network already being shared by every computer in the house including the modded xbox. If I can reach the files on a damn original xbox I should be able to get them on the droid without having to install anything on the server.

gabeevans88

Reaction score
Gmote looks close to what I want but not quite. I don't want to have to install anything on the media server, and I don't need to be able to access the files from anywhere. I just want to be able to stream my music to the droid while its connected to my home wifi. The files are on the network already being shared by every computer in the house including the modded xbox. If I can reach the files on a damn original xbox I should be able to get them on the droid without having to install anything on the server.

With orb, it installs a program on your PC, and that only allows you to be able to access your files from a remote location, through wifi/3g, also i believe there is a new thing out now called opera unite which may be what you are looking for? Opera Unite << there is the link, i will keep working on finding something for you, i think i know what you want to do now...

edit** I have not found any solution to your problem, my conclusion is that right now it is not possible to share files to the droid over WIFI similar to the way that you would PC to PC, Sorry man, i tried, i can suggest one more thing but it is similar to ORB, it is called Opera Unite, check it out here http://unite.opera.com/

Fuglly

Reaction score
u will more then likely need to install a server on your pc. the only reason your xbox connects to it is because it is designed to do that 0_o which makes sense because they are both microsoft products. In other words there is already a server installed on your computer, except it is built into the windows operating system. lmk wat u decide to do

OP
M

mx6er587

Reaction score
First I never said the pc was running windows. It happens to be right now, but that could change (and probably will) which is why I don't want to be locked into adding anything to the server

Second the xbox was most definitely not designed to connect. Its an orginal xbox not a 360. Its modded and running xbmc which is how it can connect to the network. Also I have mac,linux, and windows machines running on the network and none of them have trouble getting the files. Its a server, it serves, it doesn't care who's asking.

It comes down to this. I have a sever on a network. Any device connected to that network should be able to have access to the files on the server without any software changes to the server. It is definitely a matter of finding the right software for the droid.

theecigarman

Reaction score
I am playing with FTP server. it is in the App Store. I still am trying to figure it out on my world book, but you can assign ports and settings. I am new to this, but thought I could help point you in the right direction. It does see my wifi network though. Keep me posted and I hope this helps.

zasran

Reaction score
You need some software running on the computer that makes it possible to share the files, if it's windows you can most likely access them using Samba, seems like Estrongs File Manager can mount Samba (CIFS) shares. Never tried it myself, not sure if the performance is good enough for streaming etc.

Another option is FTP (also supported by default by pretty much all operating systems), you might need to enable/configure it for Windows (don't think it's turned on by default), Estrongs File Manager claims to support player over FTP.

I never tried Estrongs but it's free...

EStrongs File Explorer v1.3.0.0 Application for Android | Communication

ero

gabeevans88

Reaction score
u will more then likely need to install a server on your pc. the only reason your xbox connects to it is because it is designed to do that 0_o which makes sense because they are both microsoft products. In other words there is already a server installed on your computer, except it is built into the windows operating system. lmk wat u decide to do
You need some software running on the computer that makes it possible to share the files

Is it a separate Stand alone server? or is it the server that is built into windows? If it is separate what kind? If its run on Windows, more that likely it is windows connect now, therefore your droid is not even compatible with it, thats why it wont connect.......

zasran

Reaction score
What I was talking about (CIFS, SMB, Samba, same thing essentially) is standard Windows filesharing, if you share files that are on Windows machine that's most likely what you use.

If you can see files from other computers then try Estrongs file manager, should work. Actually now I'm curious, gonna try it myself...

ero

mchammer

Reaction score
transfering music

I used a free program called double twist to upload all my music from itunes library it also access your hd files so you can get anything videos, photos and music worked great and seemless

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of uPnP apps out there, but they all seem to still be works in progress....