How To Stop Verizon From Throttling Your Phone

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by sargentmajord, Feb 29, 2012.

1. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

In order to do this you will need SQlite Editor you can get it here: https://market.android.com/details?i...ware.sqleditor and phone needs to be rooted if you are on 902 you can get that here: motofail.zip

Only do this if you are comfortable about messing with system files

idk5 and I have tried this on our Bionic and the Droid 4, the Droid 4 method it a little different, and should work on other phones too but may use different Lines.

1. open up SQlite and select Settings Storage (com.android.provides.settings)

2. Tap on settings.db

3. Tap on secure

4. Change the value of Line 16 throttle_polling_sec to 0

5. Change the value of Line 18 throttle_value_kbitsps to at least 9999999999999

the original values are just in case you need them

Line 16 throttle_polling_sec | 600

Line 18 throttle_value_kbitsps | 300

if you have any questions or need clarification feel free to ask me here or PM me i will help you the best I can.
  2. mb68

mb68 New Member

I'm not sure what u mean by throttling please explain

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  3. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

Ok throttling means to significantly slow down data speeds after a certain amount of data usage has been met meaning ur phone has a data cap i am not sure what the cap is but for example lets say ur data cap is 10 gigs of usage (does not pertain to data plan) ur phone then sees u have hit ur cap an throttles ur download speeds from 5 mbs to 1 mbs untill ur throttle reset day comes which is the day ur bill is populated so its like a governor on a car after a certain speed the governor kicks in to slow the engine down

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums
  4. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

Unless this applies to the new tiered data plans, I have never seen an instance of 'unthrottling' benefit any user. Verizon has said that they have a throttling procedure, but continue to say that it has yet to ever be used.
  5. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Verizon's throttling has noting to do with software on the phones. If your device is in the top 5% of a congested tower, you will be throttled ON THEIR END!
  6. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

I am talking about the throttling by the phone not verizon apparently all 4G phones have a throttle built into them an has the throttle polling value u in it an if u go above that throttle polling the phone then throttles the connection by the throttle kibtsps value which is 300 kibtsps

7. mb68

mb68 New Member

I went into sqlite.setting storage then settings but after that I could only select setting again didn't c any throttle on line 16 an 18. I'm using razr w/2.3.6 any idea what I'm doing wrong

8. amishdude01

amishdude01 New Member

is there another program (free) I can use instead of SQlite?
  9. idk5

idk5 New Member

I am not sure about the razr it should be somewhere in system storage >> secure but the lines are probably different
  10. idk5

idk5 New Member

Sorry I am not aware of any free app that is like SQlite
  11. mb68

mb68 New Member

I found everything u where saying I don't know there where 2 setting an storage thanks 4 everyone help

12. dvsmno

dvsmno New Member

Does this work in the same way as removing the throttle files using baksmali and smali? For roms on my d1 I would use those tools. The only problem I had to watch my temps while tethering but I never got throttled.

13. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

No cuz deleting the temp files will only last maybe 5 min before the system replaces them this hack modifies the throttle itself to a value where the throttle speed is higher than the network speed so basically keeping ur data speed the the same even though the throttle has kicked on

14. Hooks405

Hooks405 New Member

I have managed to pull 27Gb of data on my grandfathered 4g LTE plan, i was regularly getting 18Mbps down but after about 15Gb of data its been ranging from 7-14Mbps. I have not seen a difference since experimenting with this

15. TC_Mits

TC_Mits New Member

Does this apply to the top 5% of all data plan devices, or just to the top 5% of devices on unlimited plans?

HUGE difference there!

If I, on my unlimited plan, am lumped in with all the tiered data plans on my tower then, by the simple and obvious fact that all those tiered plans are self-limiting, of course I'm going to be near the top of the list. The 5% rule applied that way will throttle a much larger than 5% number of unlimited plan buyers.

If applied that way, the 5% number would be grossly misleading, to put it kindly.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/DF app. )
  16. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

The hack only prevents throttling if u are not currently being throttled u will not see any changes it worked for me cuz i was being throttled my data usage was about 35 gigs for the month an i was only half way through the month an being throttled to about 500 kbsps after the hack it jumped to about 2 mbsps plus if u are on a 3G network with a -dbm of at least 60-65 (mine always hovers between 56 an 62) dont expect speeds higher the 2 mbsps after the hack
  17. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Well your looking at it wrong. Take any given tower, if that specific tower gets busy, the 5% of users that are/have (not sure what the criteria are) using the most bandwidth will be throttled to ensure that the other 95% still get good speeds. Its pretty rare on 3G at this point (in my market), and I would assume 4G has enuf headroom to avoid the issue there for a while.

EDIT: Looked up the specifics, looks like they only throttle 3G Unlimited subscribers who fall into the top 5% of all data users. With the raw speed that 4G gives, Ill bet very few 3G users are still getting the throttle.

Also, quote from Verizon : "The difference between our network optimization practice and throttling is about network intelligence. With throttling, your wireless connection is slowed down for your entire cycle, 100% of the time, no matter where you are. Network Optimization balances the best possible experience on the network and for the customer. Network Optimization Practices is more precise and requires more management than throttling, however it provides the greatest balance for everyone. So, if you’re in the top 5% of data users, your connection is slowed only when you are in a congested cell site."
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  18. ramacker

ramacker New Member

First month I had this phone used over 100gb this month 20gb and I haven't been throttled.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
  19. sargentmajord

sargentmajord New Member

Yeah i have noticed that some people with high usage not getting throttled were as some have lol i guess for now its a lottery

20. TC_Mits

TC_Mits New Member

It wasn't clear what is done about high usage LTE users, but unless you are saying that unlimited 4G plans are never throttled, you confirmed my point.

My point was this:
    "With the raw speed that 4G gives, Ill bet very few 3G users are still getting the throttle. "

I'm paying extra for supposedly "unlimited" 4G LTE data. But in reality, if I try to utilize the superior performance of my vzw phone, I will be deprived of the very features I am paying extra money for well before others who are not paying that higher rate. And others in my position will also be penalized at a rate far higher than 5% for simply using the extra performance they paid vzw to get.

What would be fair would be to throttle only the top 5% in each category: 3G, 3G unlimited, 4G, 4G unlimited.

Btw, at this stage of the LTE rollout, it's likely that most towers are "congested" most of the time -- meaning that the "Network Optimization" euphemistic throttling will also be operative most of the time.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/DF app. )
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
Search tags for this page
how can i tell if verizon is throttling my data
how stop verizon from throttling me
how to fix razr 4g with sqlite
how to stop verizon data throttling

how to stop verizon from throttling

how to stop verizon from throttling your phone
how to stop verizon throttling me
how to stop verizon to throttle bandwidth