How to stop text messages from staying visible in Circles even after deletion?

thepep

Reaction score
I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD that auto completed the system update to Version 4.4.2. On my home screen I have the Circles app which I find very useful. My default SMS app is Messaging (not Hangouts). After this system update, I notice that my last text message is prominently displayed in the largest circle (in addition to the little messaging icon at the top left). This message is displayed here even after I've read and deleted the message!! I can "flip" the circle back to the clock which hides it but if I flip the circle again the message is still there. It seems the only way to get rid of this message on the Circle permanently is to tap the message which then opens up a blank text message window. This is really annoying not to mention the lack of privacy it entails. Is there anyway to stop this from happening short of deleting the Circles app (which I don't want to do)? I've browsed thru the Text Messaging settings and didn't see any relevant setting which would help. There is a Notifications checkbox, which is checked, but I'm afraid if I uncheck that I won't get any text notifications at all. Help!

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Irritating indeed. I find that I must "Tap" the message in the circle and then return to the Home screen in order for it to be gone. Yet another incredibly irritating force fed "improvement" of the "Update".

umpire.20

Reaction score
Irritating indeed. I find that I must "Tap" the message in the circle and then return to the Home screen in order for it to be gone. Yet another incredibly irritating force fed "improvement" of the "Update".

Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a pain in the butt this is.

killer428

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Nexus 6
Twitter
04Mystichrome
I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD that auto completed the system update to Version 4.4.2. On my home screen I have the Circles app which I find very useful. My default SMS app is Messaging (not Hangouts). After this system update, I notice that my last text message is prominently displayed in the largest circle (in addition to the little messaging icon at the top left). This message is displayed here even after I've read and deleted the message!! I can "flip" the circle back to the clock which hides it but if I flip the circle again the message is still there. It seems the only way to get rid of this message on the Circle permanently is to tap the message which then opens up a blank text message window. This is really annoying not to mention the lack of privacy it entails. Is there anyway to stop this from happening short of deleting the Circles app (which I don't want to do)? I've browsed thru the Text Messaging settings and didn't see any relevant setting which would help. There is a Notifications checkbox, which is checked, but I'm afraid if I uncheck that I won't get any text notifications at all. Help!
I had the same problem, but was remedied when I did a factory reset.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Motorola knows about the issue and claim to be investigating. For some, opening Settings > Apps > scroll over to All and then one at a time open Circles and Messaging and select Clear Data > then a cache clear on the phone & reboot will get everything back in sync. That has not worked for everyone that tried it though. It worked for my phone, but not my daughter's phone. A FDR should definitely clear it up. But...if you don't want to go that far, you can open the Circles Settings (flip the Battery circle) and uncheck Text Messages. That will stop all new Texts from showing in the Circles Widget...if it's driving you crazy.