How to stop screen turning off during a call

Mattempathy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
M-Pie MP-H118
The screen on my Android phone switches off when I hold the phone to my ear, apparently so I'm not exposed to radiation (although I thought it was the actual phone signal that was supposed to be bad for you) and then switches back on when I take the phone away from my face. Does anyone know if there is a way to turn this feature off because it doesn't switch back on quickly enough so I'd much rather have a warm face than have to stare at a blank screen until it comes back on.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum.

In the settings menu, there should be an option to keep the screen on.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with radiation. The purpose for the screen blanking.is to prevent accidental face contact with the screen. I know several people who don't blank their screen and they disconnect me during calls and blame it on a carrier drop but I know better. It happens most with a specific phone that shall remain nameless, (not Android) ;)

It also saves the battery.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The screen on my Android phone switches off when I hold the phone to my ear, apparently so I'm not exposed to radiation (although I thought it was the actual phone signal that was supposed to be bad for you) and then switches back on when I take the phone away from my face. Does anyone know if there is a way to turn this feature off because it doesn't switch back on quickly enough so I'd much rather have a warm face than have to stare at a blank screen until it comes back on.

Is there anything blocking the Proximity Sensor? A lot of aftermarket screen protectors cover the proximity sensor and can make the screen take a long time to turn back on when the phone is pulled away from your ear. If the proximity sensor is not covered (or dirty) the screen should come on pretty quick.

P

promo87

Well, that's is just a weird issues that a user has reported tell you what screen getting dark when your hold your device close to your ear is good because it helps you in saving battery, It has nothing to do about radiation, its been there to keep you safe from the effects of radiation.

OP
M

Mattempathy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
M-Pie MP-H118
It has nothing to do with radiation. The purpose for the screen blanking.is to prevent accidental face contact with the screen. I know several people who don't blank their screen and they disconnect me during calls and blame it on a carrier drop but I know better. It happens most with a specific phone that shall remain nameless, (not Android) ;)

It also saves the battery.
That does make more sense

OP
M

Mattempathy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
M-Pie MP-H118
Is there anything blocking the Proximity Sensor? A lot of aftermarket screen protectors cover the proximity sensor and can make the screen take a long time to turn back on when the phone is pulled away from your ear. If the proximity sensor is not covered (or dirty) the screen should come on pretty quick.
Where exactly is the proximity detector?

OP
M

Mattempathy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
M-Pie MP-H118
looks kind of like an elongated black spot?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
An easy way to test if the proximity sensor is working correctly is to call another phone as a test...and hold your phone out in front of you while connected. Put your thumb or finger over the sensor and the screen should go black. Remove thumb or finger and the screen should instantly come back on. If that does not happen, it might be dirty, blocked by a case or screen protector or failing. There is an older thread in here somewhere about a recommended app that can do a more thorough test of the proximity sensor if a basic test fails & it's not blocked.