How to stop message "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped"

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
This just started pooping up last week while looking for or downloading apps.

I tried clearing the cache of the app, installing updates of the app, etc.

Is there a definitive way to stop this from showing up?

Thanks for any help

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Try clearing data for the play store or play services.... If that doesn't work, uninstall the update in settings - apps and let it update again automatically.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I hate it when stuffs poops on my phone.

I had it happen before. GoCliff's suggestion of uninstalling the updates and then reinstalling worked for me.

duwest

Reaction score
I've had this same message for the past couple of weeks too. It pops up immediately following every app update in the Play Store (I manually update) and usually at the start of any game I open. Other than that annoying message, the apps don't fc or have any other problems.
I've cleared data for both services and uninstalled their updates as suggested by GoCliffGo05. Rebooted the phone and the first thing to pop up is that message again!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Have you tried removing your google account and adding it?

furbymac

Reaction score
I have found if you remove the update for it that it goes away but comes back as soon as the update is installed. Also pops up every time I open up a game

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks for any help
Go into settings, apps, all, scroll down to the one you want, tap it, uncheck notifications, ignore the warning it gives.
I don't know if it's a bug or a perk but every app I have that doesn't close immediately upon going home or to another but later closes itself gives the unfortunately it has stopped message. I started getting these on my Note2 when it updated to JB but if they don't close and give the message they use enough cpu in the background to show up in battery stats. Play services, Tapatalk, Android browser, 250+ Solitaire, Swype for Oppo (or any Swype for that matter) are the ones that come to mind. Sometimes download manager or drm service will do the same thing. Tapatalk closes itself about once a day since its last update and I don't even bother to report it anymore because it doesn't show up in battery stats anymore.
Stock,G2, T-Mobile,4.4.2 and stock Note2, Verizon,4.3.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

doogald

Reaction score

Thanks for any help

Did you switch to the ART runtime? If so, try switching back to Dalvik. See if that fixes it.

Reactions: cr6
OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
After the latest update, it has stopped, but don't know exactly why.

doogald

Reaction score
After the latest update, it has stopped, but don't know exactly why.

There was a problem with Play Services and the version of ART that was installed with 4.4. The update also updated the ART runtime, so that was probably why it fixed.

Einsteindks

Reaction score
A little late, but the only thing I would add is to update Google Play services.

bkgroup

Reaction score

Thanks for any help
You just needs to follow the steps, that worked for me.
Go to Settings -> App Manager -> All Apps -> Google Playstore ( If you find other apps is getting same error, select that app instead of Google Play store)
Now click on force stop or Disable button, that will temporarily disable your selected app untill you enable it.
At bottom, you will see clear data option, click on clear data and scroll down.
You will see clear cache option, click on that option to remove all app cache from your device.

Source : Fix Unfortunately Google Play Store Has Stopped Working
Google-Play-has-stopped-Android.png

listendave

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx HD
Unfortunately for me, Force stop and Uninstall updates are both already greyed out. I think maybe I already tried them and they've stayed this way ever since, and the obnoxious msgs keep coming... It's Google Play services for me, not store, that is bombing. Android support tells me I have to do a factory reset. Uhggg. My biggest dread is that the msgs are just going to start up again after the reset. So, is it factory reset time?

Athron

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lenovo S860
Hi Listendave!

I am having the exact same problem.. cannot even choose Forsce Stop or Uninstall Updates.. driving me crazy.. did you find an answer or have to to factory reset?

aarong03

Reaction score
I get this same message, only after trying to report a problem with an app. This has gone on for sometime now. I've tried uninstalling, and reinstalling the app and it still does it when I try to report an issue with an app.