1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How to stop deleting email on my PC when I delete from my phone

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by Jay1620, May 10, 2012.

1. Jay1620

Jay1620 New Member

When I delete an email on the phone it deletes it on my PC. Regardless where I store the email (Inbox, folder) after a period of time the email is deleted and goes to my "trash" on the PC. How can I prevent this?
  2. Bang Pow Boom

Bang Pow Boom New Member

Try going into "incoming settings "and check "never delete from server"

Edit: if your talking about the Gmail account, I'm not sure

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. Jay1620

Jay1620 New Member

Where is "incoming settings"?
  4. Bang Pow Boom

Bang Pow Boom New Member

I am using the email app for my business, not Gmail . It is under account settings. I am also on the D1, getting a Maxx today

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  5. Qberry

Qberry New Member

I'm having the same problem. I can't find incoming settings. I have gmail and yahoo mail.
  6. Tuna62

Tuna62 New Member

Once you figure out how to stop them from deleting... Post how to get them to delete. I for one wish they would go away after I delete them from my phone.
  7. brucefulton

brucefulton New Member

I believe this is the way IMAP protocol works. Instead of deleting them from the phone, move them to an archive folder on the PC.
  8. Moose381

Moose381 New Member

I have the same problem....I use Gmail and want it deleted on my computer so that I don't have to back and delete everything a second time. Help with this would be greatly appreciated
  9. ricks

ricks Member

Why do you want to delete emails on your phone and keep them in your computer????? This makes no sense to me. Please explain
  10. brucefulton

brucefulton New Member

Navigate to gmail on your PCs browser. Click the box to select all, and then also click the line that says 'select all xxx conversations in inbox." Then, click the archive icon from the icons toward the top of the screen (looks like a folder with a down arrow, hover and it will say archive). That moves them to the gmail archive folder and your phone and pc email client will sync.
  11. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

What app are you using on your phone?
    What software are you using on your PC?
    How have you set up the connection - POP, IMAP?

It doesn't sound like you are using the gmail app and accessing gmail via a web browser on your pc. I don't think you'd be having problems then. It sounds like you've set up some sort of sync between your email app and a client like Outlook. It's been a while since I did that, but I believe if you set it up as a POP account it will automatically remove it from the server. You would need to set it up using IMAP and then you would have the options as to either delete it from the server or leave it there.

More info is at [h=3]Setting up & troubleshooting email accounts[/h]
  12. JDH

JDH Member

I was a BB user for years and like the feature that allowed you to delete either on the phone or both the phone and the server. Now I can delete my comcast on the phone without deleteing on my server or live mail on the laptop because I configured it that way in settings when I added the account. For my other pop3 accounts I just configure them to keep a copy till I delete on the server. for Gmail just select archive instead of delete and it is off the phone and recoverable at gmail in the "ALL MAIL" tab. there you can open read and print and then delete forever if you want.
    Hope this helps$
  13. Moose381

Moose381 New Member

It doesn't make any sense to me either....that's the problem. When I delete them from my phone, it doesn't delete them from my computer. I have to go into my email on the PC and delete them a second time. This isn't a problem most of the time, but if I go away on the motorcycle for several days...without my laptop, I end up with a hundred emails to delete when I get home. It is sort of syncing...when I read them on the phone, it shows them as read on the computer...it just won't delete them. I'm guessing it's a simple fix, but I've not yet been able to figure it out.
  14. Moose381

Moose381 New Member

brucefulton....thanks for the direction, but it didn't work. I still syncs by telling me that the email has been read, but will not delete it from my PC.

Any one else have other suggestions?:mad:
  15. brucefulton

brucefulton New Member

16. Charlie123

Charlie123 New Member

I too just made the switch from BB to Android. I have ICS on my Razr Maxx and am also disappointed at the apparent inability to Delete From Handset Only with my multiple AOL and Yahoo email accounts. It does work, though, with an earthlink email address that is used with Outlook. For that email, I had the "Never Delete email From Server" option, but I don't have them for the AOL and Yahoo emails (they do not appear in the Settings). That's one thing I really miss about the BB, that all the texts, emails from multiple accounts, etc. all went into one stream and that I could delete from the handset.

So...is this an impossibility to set up the AOL and Yahoo emails on my Droid to Delete From Handset Only?
  17. ricks

ricks Member

This makes no sense to me, why do you want it only deleted on the phone only? When I delete an email on my phone, I want it gone for good. If I want to keep it, it goes into a folder of my choice. I just don't get it...
  18. Charlie123

Charlie123 New Member

Isn't that a duplicate post (#9)?...

Anyway, there are still millions of us migrating away from the BB. For those of us who run multiple businesses and have many different email accounts with different providers, they, like me, probably liked the minimal # of clicks needed to mamage the emails on their BB and servers and adjusted their work habits to it. For me (us?), the handset isn't the primary workstation. When the emails come in, with my BB, if they required immediate action, I could respond on the handset. If they were junk, I could delete from handset and Outlook server/AOL/Yahoo systems simultaneously with one click from the handset. If I wanted to remove it from my handset but keep it in my InBox (where it would show as already read and not New after I opened it from the BB) I could do that with a different single click. That allowed me to only keep the "action item" emails on my handset. The other emails, bill reminders, low-priority emails, etc. would remain in their respective Outlook/AOL/Yahoo In Box marked already read, where I could Move, Delete, Reply at a later date as necessary. From the BB handset, I could also read an email then Mark As New, which would show the email as New on both the handet and in whatever respective email system the email was from (AOL, Yahoo, Outlook). This allowed me (and millions of other BB users) to develop certain email habits that are hard to leave. Run a Google search on the topic...there's two pages just in this thread, and many more threads all over the other android forums. I would prefer to not have to move emails to different folders, reconcile emails from various folders on the handset with those on the server, wade thru tons of emails on my amdroid handset to find a certain one from several days/weeks ago, etc.

So...now that that is out of the way...can anyone answer the original question...Is this an impossibility to set up the AOL and Yahoo emails on my Droid to Delete From Handset Only similar to how the BB manages its email accounts?
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  19. maxx1976

maxx1976 New Member

Maybe im missing the point but why not move the ones you want to go back to in a specified folder instead of trying to delete on the phone only. Seems it would be the same difference, no?

Edit-ohhhhh i see now(sorry i never used a bb) so bb meshes all the emails from all addresses in one spot? I can see how that could make a big mess.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  20. ricks

ricks Member

Are you looking for an app that puts all your emails accounts in one page?
Search tags for this page
android delete email from phone but not server

delete email from phone but not computer

delete email only from handset and not from outlook or serve
delete yahoo mail on motorola but not computer
does deleting yahoo emails from phone delete from laptop
droid maxx deleting my emails
how do i keep emails now do i keep emails on my computer and delete them from my samsung galaxie s4
how to delete email on phone but not computer
how to delete emails from phone and computer
how to get emails to delete from computer and phone
how to stop deleting email on android phone and on computer
how to stop emails deleting when i delete them on android
msn email being deleted from desk top by deleting on cell ph
stop delete
sync earthlink email to delete from computer when i delete o