1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

how to start contacts search instead of google search when typing?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Pro' started by semya, Jan 10, 2011.

1. semya

semya New Member

when I unlock my droid pro and am looking at the desktop, I can start typing using the hardware keyboard. however instead of searching in contacts, the phone launches google search and starts a web-search. can this be changed? it was so convenient to start looking for a person on your contact list this way on my BB Bold 9700 (especially driving).
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

One way or another you have to put your phone into contacts and search there. You can do this either by just pressing the contacts icon on the home screen, or by putting your phone in your car on car dock and pressing contacts.

On the Car Dock screen you should see some spaces where you can load a few favorites.

I have pretty good success with Voice search. Long press on the search icon. But not everyone does. Usually it works if you say "Call Mary Mobil" and it will look on your contacts list.
  3. semya

semya New Member

All of these options still look like workarounds to me. But thanks anyway. Why would a Browser be able to capture my keyboard, and I can't bind that to contacts search? IMO, Droid Pro still lacks such a simple and obvious feature. Sometimes I wonder if any of Droid Pro engineers ever used a blackberry phone themselves.

I guess this can only be fixed on a ROM-level. So only a custom ROM will actually be able to make Droid Pro closer to Blackberry in relation to hardware keyboard utilization.
  4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

:sad: this is one of the few things I miss from WinMo... After a year of Android I've all but forgotten about it until you brought it up. I use BT most of the time so I can just voice-dial most people best rec I could make is to create a shortcut to your contacts or (for the numbers you dial often) create a 'direct call' folder with all your routine contacts in it.
  5. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 New Member

You can change what it searches from the universal search. Menu - settings - search - searchable items. This is where you specify what that search function from your home screen will search on your device. Uncheck everything but contacts. I have mine only for contacts and music search. If I want a web search, just hit enter after typing and it will automatically hit google search. Otherwise, it starts searching as you type, so type what you want and don't hit enter (unless you want to web search).

My biggest complaint about the home screen universal search is that it only displays 8 results. I have 17 Michael's and 11 Joseph's in my contacts and it doesn't show enough. Also, sometimes it doesn't catch that first letter I type and gets hung and force closes.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  6. Ride

Ride New Member

This how I have mine set up and it works just like my old Be's. Add the No lock app, and it mimics BB perfectly:
    - hit keyboard to wake phone
    - start typing Smith, it pulls them up and select one
    - either pick a number to call
    Or
    Just start typing on keyboard to send an SMS

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App
  7. semya

semya New Member

Great! That's what I was looking for. Thank you for the awesome hint!

This is also very nice! Didn't know about it.
  8. SoftWyer

SoftWyer New Member

Quick Search Box

(apologies if this is not possible on your device)

Under OS 2.2 you can add the Google Quick Search Box (aka Universal Search) widget to the home screen and choose the search provider.

If you want to see more than the 8 contacts, then try another Contacts Search application.
Search tags for this page

android contact search widget

android contacts search widget

android google search only contacts
android phone can't search contacts when typing first letter
android search box contacts
android type home google search

contact search widget android

droid coitact widget cant select contacts
droid semya
google search pulling up contacts on droid
how does google search contacts