[HOW TO] Sipdroid- Free VOIP using Google Voice ---- Credit to DXF Member Snow02

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The GV app doesn't work on the zoom, but really shouldn't be necessary...

Here you go:

Steps:

1. Download Sipdroid from the market and install it.

2. On initially starting the app, there will be a button at the bottom that says set up a free pbxes account to link with google voice. Press it.
sgv1.jpg

3. It will automatically fill in a pbxes account name with your gmail account name. Change this if you wish, just write down what you enter.

4. You'll see right below that, it filled in the name of the gmail account linked to your phone. Again, this is important, and where I messed up, because I had a different google voice account than the account linked to my phone. For the password, make sure you enter the password for the google voice account listed.

5.Enter a sipdroid password. This can be anything. Press Create.

sgv2.jpg

Dial, from the sipdroid app by entering the number on the main screen and pressing enter.

In the main settings screen, press the SIP Account at the top, scroll down and make sure you check 3G and EDGE if you have a 3G plan.

8. That's it! Make sure you write down or remember your pbxes account name and sipdroid password in case you have to reinstall sipdroid.

Last edited:
OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's some more info from Snow02:

To Change Google Voice Account or Password or Find Info to Set up Sipdroid After Reinstall:
In the event you need to change the google voice account or password linked to your sipdroid, or set up Sipdroid again, follow these instructions.

1) Access your pbx at pbxes.org. Your username is the pbx name you chose when you set up sipdroid (see post #1 above). Your password is the same as the google voice password you put in when you set up sipdroid.

2) Do not edit the information in the Extensions tab. This has the information you need to put in sipdroid if you have to reinstall. Click Extensions to expand the category, then click on sipdroid to bring up the information. In the sipdroid app, the authorized username should match the username box (pbxname-200). The password you put into sipdroid is sipdroidpassword. Do not worry about the information in the "dial" box.

3) The Trunks tab contains your google voice login information. You can edit this information to link a different google voice account with your sipdroid, or correct login information. Click Trunks to expand the category, then click the GTalk entry. Enter the correct information as seen in red. Then click submit. A red bar may pop up at the top of the screen asking you to click it to apply changes - do so. That should be it.

Last edited:

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Sipdroid does not have the option box to attach to the Google voice...I wasn't sure how to proceed.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

techguru

Reaction score
Just one note of caution. I have used this on my Incredible, and it works great over WiFi. I had it set to only be active when WiFi is available, so it isn't trying to connect over 3G where I had mixed results. The thing is, when set to use WiFi, it will try to connect whenever you have any WiFi connection, but many public and corporate networks have SIP blocked. SipDroid will try over and over again to connect to the PBXes.org server and will suck down your battery like crazy.

Alan

jayxpx

Reaction score
also noticed that there was no option to link to google voice when i downloaded on xoom...please let me know what to do if thats not an option

psygkosis

Reaction score
Same issue here. Is it because we don't have the gv app installed? I read all the posts in the above mentioned threads and seen no mention of anyone getting it to work on a xoom. Can anyone confirm this working on honeycomb?

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The first ans second post have been updated to be more Xoom specific, remember that everything with this device is a work in progress - it has been confirmed to work on a Xoom by some and others are still having issues, as they get worked out and I find out more I will continue to update the original posts

psygkosis

Reaction score
So what do you do if your sipdroid app is not displaying the button at the bottom to link to a gv account?

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
So what do you do if your sipdroid app is not displaying the button at the bottom to link to a gv account?
The O/P has been updated to address this issue -

Snow02

Reaction score
Guys, my apologies. Sipdroid does need GV installed and linked to your google voice account for the link to pbxes button to show up in sipdroid. I know GV has issues on the Xoom, but if you can open it and link your account to it, that's all that will be necessary.

TP, update the op accordingly?

Edit: Someone got GV working on the xoom
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11971697&postcount=87

Last edited:

xtremeIX

Reaction score
Sipdroid installed on the xoom with GV (Google Voice) only allows you to send calls and not receive them...correct?

xtremeIX

Reaction score
I installed Google Voice from the following APK file (Download) and installed SipDroid. I was able to send and receive calls per the instructions on this thread. I used the APK noted in this post because the one posted wasn't downloading correctly to my Xoom for me. dancedroid

ericcsong

Reaction score
got it working great, but can't receive calls. is there a setting im missing?