How to set gmail app as default email from contacts

TheOMB

Reaction score
Have had my razr for two Weeks and just noticed when viewing a contact, I can't just tap the email address to open gmail app with new email to that contact.

I came from OG Droid and used gmail app, there was no 'messagingapp' like on razr.

So I set up my gmail account in the messaging app, and that does open a new email from contact list... But with the messaging app, not the gmail app.

IMO the messing app has poor function. I can't see labels, email conversation is not threaded for viewing and more. I don't wanna use it, gmail app is 10x better with only exception of gmail app inbox is white background and messaging app is dark.

I can't figure out how to make gmail app open by default when emailing from contact list? Killed 30 mins looking. Help...

Btw it baffles me that every other part of razr android/moto OS has a share feature leading to gmail app, but the contact list won't hook to gmail app... Kind of funky doing by moto (who made the messaging app) and weird cause Google just bought motorola.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Andielyn

Reaction score
I may not understand your problem but I am a new RAZR MAXX owner and I can tap the email address from my contact list and open my gmail. Maybe you didn't set up your accounts correctly. Try this: go to settings->my accounts and see if your google account is there. If not, add it. I don't have my gmail account set up through the email app or the messaging app.

When I select a contact email, it pops up and asks if I want to send a message via email, gmail or text (using the icons.) So it doesn't default open with gmail but I do have a choice to email or text at that point. Hope this helps.

OP
T

TheOMB

Reaction score
Thanks, been to that page 20+ times and silk can't make sence of this.

gonna try explaining again.

What I can't do is from a contact, tap there email and open up a new email to that contact via gmail app (not messaging / email app that comes installed).

If I clicked on email icon, it gave a message like 'no email app configured'....so I checked.

My google account is in settings> my accounts with all options synced.

I went through 'add account' and added my gmail email address. That resulted in being able to tap an email of a contact and open the messaging/email app with new email to that contact.

Then I hunted through more settings. removed my gmail email from the messaging/email app in my accounts. Hunted, added email back and nothing i've found can set a tap on contacts email to open gmail app.... Which was default for Og Droid OS and the other roms (OS's) I put on it once it got slow.

Thanks for any help again.

OP
T

TheOMB

Reaction score
Replying because i've found my answer. There is no way to set gmail app as the default email app for contacts. In order to be able to tap an email address of a contact and email... Got to use the messaging app and plug in your gmail account. You'll then have two ways to email from the razr maxx. Got to set either the gmail app or messaging app to no notifications so you don't get two notifications for every new email. I've left notifications on in gmail app.

In the end when sending new emails only, messaging app is used. When reading new and replying, gmail app is used.

IMHO this is a system level error by motorola... We should be able to choose our default email app from contacts and all other apps we may want to instigate am email from.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Go to home screen>menu>settings>applications>manage applications>All>find the email app>clear defaults.
the next time you're in the contacts app and click on an email address, it'll ask you which email app to use to email that person, choose gmail.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
T

TheOMB

Reaction score
Cool.... That worked and please disregard my bashing of motorola on this... I was wrong but think they still made it a bit to difficult to fix.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Its a pretty standard android feature, nothing that moto implemented, but it is surely buried under loads of menus. It's incredibly useful if you have non-stock apps installed, like dolphin browser HD, quickoffice, Google cloud print, stuff like that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BKApple

Reaction score
This thread helped with the contacts, but I still cannot share photos I receive via text through Gmail. When I long press on a picture in the stock texting app, the menu gives me a share option, but only with the stock email app. When I select this, I get a message reading that my email hasn't been configured.

Can someone please explain how I can share picts!ures from the texting app via Gmail?

Thanks!