how to send attachments with Droid

luvtype

Reaction score
how to send jpg attachments on the Droid?

I have figured out how to download a jpg on the Droid — now how do I email a jpg on the Droid?

I've tried send a jpg attachment via the Gmail app, via the email app, and via Gmail on the browser. No go, period. Gmail, the mobile version on the browser, doesn't even offer an attachment option (at least I didn't see one). And on the Gmail/email Droid apps, all i get is a "Sending" indication in red, which stays red forever and never completes. How come? I've searched on the web and it appears (at least from what I've understood) that most people are able to send at least jpgs (albeit no other kinds of attachments).

Now here's one detail that may be messing things up. Droid renames my jpgs in Gallery. So if my file is named P1234.jpg, the Droid-name version is Downloadfile3.jpeg. It's bad enough that it's renaming the file, but to rename the file format...that takes the cake. Is it possible that the file can't be sent because of the "jpeg" (instead of "jpg") name at the end?

If so, is there a way to go in there and change it back to "jpg"? I don't see any access to this kind of information.

What about other kinds of attachments: pdf, doc, zip? How can I get/send/open/read/save these kinds of files on the Droid? Or should I ask this question in a separate post?

Please, if someone has any insight into this, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I can't send and/or receive attachments, I probably won't be able to keep the Droid.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score
I went to my gallery, ALL PICTURES, pressed and held on a photo, an option list appeared, pressed share, the pressed GMAIL and send...

Silver Member
Reaction score
for images in the gallery, i'm able to long-press the thumbnail and select share and choose gmail as an option and that gives me the ability to send those photos as an attachment.

from gmail, i can either choose items from the gallery or use Documents To Go to browse to a folder location and add any attachment.

from ES File Manager, I'm able to browse to any folder location, long press any file and select Send to attach it to an email. however, i was not able to attach multiple items using this method.

it seems to me a different file manager allowed the use of the "attach" command from the Menu press, during a gmail conversation, which may allow for multiple attachments, but i'm not 100% on that.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
Okay, i was sending this jpg to myself, and for some reason *all day long* this didn't work. Why???? I do this all the time on my desktop and laptop -- can one not send files to one's own Gmail account on the Droid? -- anyway, I now sent it to a different email address and it went through! finally!

But it only went through using Gmail. Not via my other non-Gmail email account.

So what about the other files? doc, pdf, --use ES File Manager? is that an app from the Droid market? and you're saying it works with all these files and from any email account?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay, i was sending this jpg to myself, and for some reason *all day long* this didn't work. Why???? I do this all the time on my desktop and laptop -- can one not send files to one's own Gmail account on the Droid? -- anyway, I now sent it to a different email address and it went through! finally!

But it only went through using Gmail. Not via my other non-Gmail email account.

So what about the other files? doc, pdf, --use ES File Manager? is that an app from the Droid market? and you're saying it works with all these files and from any email account?

Thanks!

Thanks!
it's an app and it's free. it's just a file explorer, of sorts.

check your spam box for messages sent to yourself. gmail automatically marks these as spam.

mitchb2

Reaction score
I went to my gallery, ALL PICTURES, pressed and held on a photo, an option list appeared, pressed share, the pressed GMAIL and send...

I figured that out, too. But once it launches the Gmail compose window, isn't there any way to choose a contact for the To: field?!

This is driving me nuts. If I choose Contacts, then choose a contact and choose to email them, that's fine. But why can't I access my contacts from the To: field in Gmail? I must be missing something, this seems obvious. I thought if I long-clicked "To" it would bring up my address book, or an option to go to the contacts list.

Silver Member
Reaction score

I figured that out, too. But once it launches the Gmail compose window, isn't there any way to choose a contact for the To: field?!

This is driving me nuts. If I choose Contacts, then choose a contact and choose to email them, that's fine. But why can't I access my contacts from the To: field in Gmail? I must be missing something, this seems obvious. I thought if I long-clicked "To" it would bring up my address book, or an option to go to the contacts list.
if you start typing any part of the contact's name, it will bring up a list. that's the only way i've been able to do it.

Reaction score
I think there is a limit of how big the files can be? Is that correct? And if so what method can be used to to send larger sized files from the Driod?

I have the same problem when going to gmail fom "Browse" instead of the widget/app there is not a way to attach files is there? I dont see one?

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score

It doesn't support the feature your looking for by going to contacts and just hit add or something to that effect. it might remember or give you a suggestive address option, but you'll have to add the comas manually.

check the MARKET if an APP will improve or add that program.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
for images in the gallery, i'm able to long-press the thumbnail and select share and choose gmail as an option and that gives me the ability to send those photos as an attachment.

from gmail, i can either choose items from the gallery or use Documents To Go to browse to a folder location and add any attachment.

from ES File Manager, I'm able to browse to any folder location, long press any file and select Send to attach it to an email. however, i was not able to attach multiple items using this method.

it seems to me a different file manager allowed the use of the "attach" command from the Menu press, during a gmail conversation, which may allow for multiple attachments, but i'm not 100% on that.
I looked for ES File Manager but didn't find it in Droid's Market. is this the right name?

Reaction score
anyway to send multiple attachments or multiple pictures from the gallery at once? Cant seem to figure that one out?

thank you for the help.