How To Search for a business in Contacts

Twist747

Reaction score
How do I search for a business name in my contacts.

I have several people that work for the same company and I can't remember their names but do know the business name.

This may be a senior moment on my part, but I am having trouble.

Thanks

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
That's what I'm doing. I do get 1 or 2 listings, but not all (the one I'm looking for didn't show). In my two tests, there are 6 to 8 contacts with the same company name. They are spelled the exact same way.

Is there a setting or a comand to have the database re-scaned?

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Let's see. I just tested mine again and worked just fine. Do you by chance have the check box marked "only display contacts with phones" checked. Maybe the users not coming up don't have phone numbers. Also do those users show up when you search for them by name?

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
Good thought, but i don't have it checked. The contact that I'm searching for does show if I search for the last name (yes it does have a phone #). The Company name has two names. When I search for one of the two, only a person with that last name (doesn't work for the company) shows. When I search for the second of the company names, two contacts do correctly show, but not the other 4.

Confusing.

P_McNeal

Reaction score
Mine is the same way; really inconsistent for anything other than the given name. Haven't found a good solution yet, although there is a super-search app out there. I just don't want to give another app access to all my info.

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
Well, misery loves company. But, isn't Google at least one of the worlds leading "SEARCH" companies? That's why I don't want to buy another app to do Google's job. Frustrating!

Silver Member
Reaction score
your phone doesn't have google's search engine installed on it. the phone has limited search capabilities and everything else, it pulls from the internet.

you could create contact groups for these types of contacts and then choose to only display those groups at the time that you are looking for these individuals.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Weird, mine works well. I have many contacts from John Deere. If I type in John, I get anyone with the first name of John, everyone from John Deere, and a couple people from a company called Johnson Inc. If I type in Deere I get nothing, which I would exspect. Are these contacts from your gmail contact list? All mine are from outlook through exchange. Not sure why that would matter.

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
your phone doesn't have google's search engine installed on it. the phone has limited search capabilities and everything else, it pulls from the internet.

This is a comparative handicap. The old Palms & I assume most others did this function as an elementary action.

Do you have any suggestions on search apps that will search one's contact list properly?

OP
Twist747

Twist747

Reaction score
Weird, mine works well. I have many contacts from John Deere. If I type in John, I get anyone with the first name of John, everyone from John Deere, and a couple people from a company called Johnson Inc. If I type in Deere I get nothing, which I would exspect. Are these contacts from your gmail contact list? All mine are from outlook through exchange. Not sure why that would matter.

I am getting simiar results and it picks up the first name not the second name as well. But, I dont' get 20% of the contacts that have the same company listed.

These are Outlook contacts that sync to gmail, then to the droid.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
i set up my groups on a actual computer- GMAIL CONTACTS

i have several groups which makes navigation faster
WORK
BUSINESS
FAMILY
FRIENDS
STARRED- these are the equivalent of speed dials on a regular phone

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
i set up my groups on a actual computer- GMAIL CONTACTS

i have several groups which makes navigation faster
WORK
BUSINESS
FAMILY
FRIENDS
STARRED- these are the equivalent of speed dials on a regular phone

This is good advice. In general, I've found that gmail contacts need some surgery when they're imported from Outlook. (Of course, Outlook has its own peculiarities in terms of searching. It's just that when you've gotten used to them it's difficult to adjust to another system with inadequacies of its own.)

Best advice if you're going to use google's contact list is to work with it ON A COMPUTER until you've sorted out the entries, merged contacts who are the same person with different names, etc.