How to Search Android Phone Internal Files?

pwjone1

Reaction score
Well, this seems pretty basic, but I did look through the forum a bit, couldn't find an answer (thought there are a lot of hits), so apologies beforehand:

How do I search content that is on the phone?

I don't want to search the web, it's just I stuck something in a file or list manager somewhere, and cannot remember where, so what I'd like is something equivalent to Google Desktop search, but searching the files on the phone.

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
I have Aurora, but it does not seem to find items in files.

I found that Astro has some file search, so it's off crunching. Not sure it's entirely working though, might have not gotten the search quite right, it looks more file name oriented than internal file text.

rjax

Reaction score
Oops, I misread your original question slightly.

But, just like you, I saw that Astro supposedly just added search-within-files functionality recently, but haven't tried it. Did it end up working for you?

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
Oops, I misread your original question slightly.

But, just like you, I saw that Astro supposedly just added search-within-files functionality recently, but haven't tried it. Did it end up working for you?

Well, mostly no. It found some files, but they were image files, nothing with the real "text" in them.

jfm

Reaction score
You can use Power Search to search for Internal Files on the phone.

OP
pwjone1

pwjone1

Reaction score
Power Search sort of worked, it did find some files with test terms in them, but not 100%. I suppose it's a matter of file formats or something.

Anyone know how to get a linux low level console, and if the find/grep type commands are available?

jfm

Reaction score
Power Search

Power Search has a default set of text files that it searches. So perhaps the ones it didn't find were not part of the default list. However it has a preference that allows you to specify other text files that are not part of its default list.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
have you tried just hitting search in root explorer?

f0rkyou

Reaction score
Well, this seems pretty basic, but I did look through the forum a bit, couldn't find an answer (thought there are a lot of hits), so apologies beforehand:

I don't want to search the web, it's just I stuck something in a file or list manager somewhere, and cannot remember where, so what I'd like is something equivalent to Google Desktop search, but searching the files on the phone.

This is most likey what you are looking for: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...-7n3CA&usg=AFQjCNG9o_Q7LyRczyM5bDUOG4Vbn8lNSw

Jim12

Reaction score
Google Desktop Search substitute on Android Phones

I realize this thread is OLD, but I just ran into it when searching for text file searching today, and then, when I chased down a couple of suggestions offered here (back in 2010), I ran into the best answer I have seen so far!

The app 'InFileSearch' looks in TXT, DOC, PDFs, and maybe more for a matching string. It is very fast, allows you to open a discovered file while it continues the search, and has a very good interface! I haven't had a chance yet to see if it supports wildcard characters (? and *, for example, or better yet, regex), but I am already satisfied!

I cannot believe that a Google OS (for the Android) neglected to offer the phone equivalent of GDS, sigh!