[HACKS] [HOW TO] Root your Verizon Galaxy S4

Discussion in 'Galaxy S4 Development' started by wicked, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +597
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 3XL
    Rooted... Thanks guys!

Let the fun begin!!!

2. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm confused with a few things. My gs4 is running android 4.2.2 with VRUAME7 build and I read to root it I have to format my sd card to exFAT. can somebody tell me how to do this or what this means? I have a 32gb model phone and am using my 16gb micro sd card I'm hoping it'll work.

3. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Nvm im rooted now

4. xXJakeXx

xXJakeXx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    boot.img

Everytime I download the VRUAMD2 Pre-release Kernel - Link & the VRUAMDK Stock Kernel - Link files I open and extract both of these files I get a boot.img, not a md5 file like in the video. Thus not allowing me to flash them onto my phone via Odin. Is there something wrong with the link or do I need a special unpacking prg? Thanks, xXJakeXx.

5. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Hmmm. Mine failed the very first attempt in the far left window with a big red block. The error on the phone was "secure magicode check fail". Any ideas?

Is it more advantageous to go with this method of root or does the CWM or TWRP method offer better options, features, simplicity, etc.?

6. myfishbear

myfishbear Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +31
    this method doesn't work on me7

7. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Ok, my suspicions were correct. Thanks for the clarification. I am on me7 so I am out of luck. Is there a method that can root me7?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

8. alafferty82081

Ratings:
    +6
    There is a link in xda how to root on me7, worked like a charm for me, you just download the zip, use the terminal emulator from the playstore and put in a string of codes and thou hast root

9. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +125
  10. dephloc

dephloc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if anyone checks this thread but when using ODIN it fails when I try to load the stock ROM (SCH-I545_MD2_423399_Kernel.tar.md5) at the very beginning of the process... I tried the steps to get it working but it was to no avail, does anyone have any idea as to what I can do to fix it?

11. hondabomdc5

hondabomdc5 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    im having trouble installing the device drivers. it messes up at the MTP USB stage. I have tried multiple ways and times and still fails. This is so frustrtating bc i just want to root it so i can flash roms

12. ReaganSmash

ReaganSmash New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hopefully this saves someone some time, OP may want to update post to indicate that this works (at least I assume it does) on the MDK build and not ME7. The link posted by Dalvik-Cache does work (confirmed as of 9/25) for root access on ME7 but to my knowledge, and I searched high and low last night, especially after bricking my ME7 S4, the bootloader is still locked, the only custom recovery option is SafeStrap from one of the XDA devs.

The only ROM I know of, I'd imagine there are others, is Hyperdrive ROM, but theoretically anything that's based on the stock kernel should work. Do NOT forget to re-flash the stock kernel after flashing the ROM of your choice. Also, as it turns out, there's a very good reason to check the MD5 of the ROM before you flash it. I tried 5 or 6 mirrors before I got a matching copy. If your MD5 doesn't match, you're probably going to boot to a black screen.

WARNING!!!

If you plan to try this, read the SafeStrap thread thoroughly. DO NOT forget to select ROM slot 1 (vs stock which is the default when you first launch it) or you will brick your phone. It's recoverable, but you'll need ODIN, the PIT file, and a working stock ROM. The ROM was the hardest part to find, I tried three different hosts before I found a version that wasn't corrupt. I'll get the link from my laptop and, if I remember, update this post with a link to the working ROM for any unfortunate enough to be in that situation.

Feel free to reply or PM me if you have questions, I'll do my best to help you out.

Edited on 9/27/2013 @ 7:38 MDT (8:38 CDT) - Got the custom ROM flashed and working. If there's any interest I could do a complete step-by-step write up.

Search tags for this page
how to root galaxy s4 verizon mac
root galaxy s4 verizon

root s4 verizon

root sch i545 build ng6
root verizon galaxy s4

secure magiccode check fail

secure magicode check fail

secure magicode check fail recovery
verizon galaxy s4 root
verizon s4 root