Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
cDGOaEE.png

Disclaimer: Rooting your device will void it's warranty and also, DroidForums.net or myself is not responsible if you break your phone while using this root method. Please proceed at your own risk.

Description: This is a simple guide that will allow you to easily root your Verizon Galaxy S4 device without having to flash a prerooted factory image using a leaked prerelease kernel (provided by user sextape) and root method (provided by user djrbliss).

First up, grab the necessary tools:

• Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
  • ODIN v3.07 - Link
  • VRUAMD2 Pre-release Kernel - Link
  • VRUAMDK Stock Kernel - Link
  • Motochopper Root Exploit Tool – Link
ODIN is a tool used for flashing firmware and kernels on Samsung devices. If you've ever modded a Galaxy phone before, you probably used ODIN at least once (Windows-only, by the way). It's always a good idea to check that your device is properly detected by the computer before you get started. Samsung's USB drivers should work on most Windows systems, but you might try Koush's universal driver if all else fails. The next step involves flashing a pre-release kernel to the device using ODIN:

Next, you'll root the device using Dan Rosenberg's Motochopper exploit. This won't work without the modified kernel installed, so don't try running it stock. Samsung blocks root at the kernel level as a security measure. Here's how you run the root exploit:

• Verify in Security settings on your device that "Unknown sources" is checked
  • Verify in Developer options on your device that "USB debugging" is checked
  • Verify in Developer options on your device that "Verify apps via USB" is unchecked
  • Connect your phone to the computer and open "Run.bat" file from the Motochopper folder (wherever you extracted it to)
  • If successful, after your phone reboots, open SuperSU app and let the binary update itself to the latest (very important)
  • Once complete, open a root application and verify that it's able to access root properly
At this point you should have root, but it's a good idea to restore the stock kernel. Running with a mismatched ROM and kernel can cause issues. Do the following:

• Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
  • Flash the VRUAMDK Stock Kernel using ODIN v3.07 (See here for guide on flashing)
  • Boot back to Android and verify everything is still working and kernel has flashed successfully
  • After your phone boots back to Android, you should now be fully rooted and on the original stock firmware

That's it! Your Galaxy S4 is now rooted. Plenty of folks have confirmed this process works, so give it a shot if you dare.
:p

For those who find it easier watching a video tutorial, our good friend Shane (DroidModderX) had provided a step-by-step video guide. Check it below:

[video=youtube;Gm3jw3hft1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm3jw3hft1g[/video]

Credits

Video Credit

Source: XDA & SXTP DEvelopers

fishacura

Reaction score
Thx for posting here!!! Anyone else in the same boat as me (waiting for their new S4 from Verizon)????Perhaps by the time it comes later this month there will be factory recovery files available!

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Tried to root my Verizon S4 with this method but had no luck. Kept getting failure... checked the XDA thread and I guess this exploit doesn't work on the Verizon version! FML! :disappointed:

Will update this thread once proper exploit is posted.

fishacura

Reaction score
Tried to root my Verizon S4 with this method but had no luck. Kept getting failure... checked the XDA thread and I guess this exploit doesn't work on the Verizon version! FML! :disappointed:Will update this thread once proper exploit is posted.
FIRST, count your blessings that it didn't work versus bricking your phone (how's that for a silver lining)!SECOND, when did you get your VZ S4? Mine just came yesterday and I'm assuming that's pretty much one of the first days. I ask because it may just be a matter of someone having a week or so to play with one.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
FIRST, count your blessings that it didn't work versus bricking your phone (how's that for a silver lining)!SECOND, when did you get your VZ S4? Mine just came yesterday and I'm assuming that's pretty much one of the first days. I ask because it may just be a matter of someone having a week or so to play with one.

Mine came in yesterday morning.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Thread updated.

fishacura

Reaction score
Thread updated.
Thanks Wicked. Looks pretty easy but I still may wait. That kernal comment:"Keeping the MD2 kernel may cause issues as you have a mismatch between kernel and ROM. After updating to the latest SuperSU it is recommended to flash back the MDK stock kernel (found here)"worries me as a novice in this sort of thing. Wouldn't even know how to flash it back...plus there is still no stock recovery or ability to unlock the bootloader right?

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Thanks Wicked. Looks pretty easy but I still may wait. That kernal comment:"Keeping the MD2 kernel may cause issues as you have a mismatch between kernel and ROM. After updating to the latest SuperSU it is recommended to flash back the MDK stock kernel (found here)"worries me as a novice in this sort of thing. Wouldn't even know how to flash it back...plus there is still no stock recovery or ability to unlock the bootloader right?

Yeah, I might wait as well. Dan Rosenberg bootloader unlock should be released soon.

RoscoeDpG

Reaction score
im gonna be super patient haha ill wait till things get worked out then root, im ok with stock for abit

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
OP updated. Added info on how to restore stock kernel. :happy:

SpeedDMN

Reaction score
Man I hope this phone doesn't turn out to be a total pain in the ass like my DNA was. Somehow I doubt it. The Samsungs I have had were the easiest to root and rom so far. I am getting the S4 as soon as it comes out. Which is the 30th here (a week from today) I'm pretty stoked about it. It seems like it's going to be a real power house! My DNA met with an accident. The first smartphone, or any cell phone for that matter, I have ever broke. Honestly I am sort of glad to be rid of it. It was nice, but I hated that I couldn't root it! You can bet I will be following this thread and others for some serious customizing :) Edit: I guess Verizon decided to release the S4 a week early. I got mine yesterday. Very nice so far. I think I will hold out for a proper exploit myself. Can't be many ROMs out for it this early in the game.

fishacura

Reaction score
im gonna be super patient haha ill wait till things get worked out then root, im ok with stock for abit

Completely agree. This thing is so frigin fast there's no need to start shutting VZ apps down right away. The only problem I am really having is getting it to work with my LG tv. Cannot figure out if the TV is not recognizing the phone or vice versa!

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Updated with Video ;)

dags5000

Reaction score
Thanks! First time on a samsung, previous 2 phones were motos. Method worked flawlessly, am rooted and back on original firmware and only took a few minutes.

SpeedDMN

Reaction score
Thanks! First time on a samsung, previous 2 phones were motos. Method worked flawlessly, am rooted and back on original firmware and only took a few minutes.

Yeah it did load spooky fast. I was worried something went wrong but it was just done. I have a Cynogen mod I'm going to try in a bit..