How To: Root your Motorola DROID Bionic

kilofox

Reaction score
Hey OP... how about renaming the title of the thread to: "How To: Root your Motorola DROID Bionic using Windows"?

Thanks, S. Jobs

M

Mullensbb

No wireless / wifi tethering does not work yet. I have used the google one forever on DX when i had froyo. But i'm pretty sure that verizon made sure that wifi tethering wont work while the phone is running the stock rom (gingerbread that is, as it still works with froyo as of Thursday) even if it is rooted. I feel that (and this is not certain as i have never installed a custom rom) when some custom roms are out then the tethering may work again..... anyone have experience with switching from gingerbread to custom rom and tethering working? obviously I mean since Verizon has started with the " sign up for a tether plan" web page?

As far as i know this has only happened on gingerbread as my froyo worked up until i updated Thursday after i got a bionic.

just a note: i don't even get to the web page from Verizon on the bionic...my comp just wont connect after it recognizes. the "Verizon" tether app seems to open and interfere.

mach330

Reaction score
No wireless / wifi tethering does not work yet. I have used the google one forever on DX when i had froyo. But i'm pretty sure that verizon made sure that wifi tethering wont work while the phone is running the stock rom (gingerbread that is, as it still works with froyo as of Thursday) even if it is rooted. I feel that (and this is not certain as i have never installed a custom rom) when some custom roms are out then the tethering may work again..... anyone have experience with switching from gingerbread to custom rom and tethering working? obviously I mean since Verizon has started with the " sign up for a tether plan" web page?

As far as i know this has only happened on gingerbread as my froyo worked up until i updated Thursday after i got a bionic.

just a note: i don't even get to the web page from Verizon on the bionic...my comp just wont connect after it recognizes. the "Verizon" tether app seems to open and interfere.

for dx, there's a zip file to install that makes tethering work on gingerbread. i hope we have one for bionics soon.

wooddale

Reaction score

I f you want just wireless tether try Googleing it download wireless tether 2.7.0. Got the Bionic but cant root yet because of sim card issue. I cant wait probably could do it on wifi but ma-y need to bring back so holding off.

Psychlone

Reaction score

Wireless Tether works on almost EVERY single ROM out there for almost every phone out there ...as long as it's rooted. -It's all about the kernel that lets it happen or not... There's just nothing out yet for the Bionic so it's not going to work until cvpcs has done some work on CWM, which is coming hopefully THIS WEEK!!! :pdancedroid

Gremlin

Reaction score
Wireless Tether works on almost EVERY single ROM out there for almost every phone out there ...as long as it's rooted. -It's all about the kernel that lets it happen or not... There's just nothing out yet for the Bionic so it's not going to work until cvpcs has done some work on CWM, which is coming hopefully THIS WEEK!!! :pdancedroid

Well if you want to do tether your bionic, you can follow this instructions at Droid Bionic Tether | Droid Bionic Root He also has step 2 so that vz does not track you.. second step is little more complicated.. but works..

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I cant get this to work.. I run the root exe and it just sits on "searching for phone'. Maybe I'll try to install those drivers. I downloaded the driver file from the link but how do I install them? Thanks

*Got it, needed the 32bit drivers! Rooted FTW!

Last edited:

rayw796

Reaction score
Fantastic! This was the simplest procedure! I used the PetesMotorolaRootTools.zip for rooting. It located the phone after a few minutes and it went through several reboots. Installed Titanium Backup and now have phone backed up!! Thanks!

PROBLEMS: Now 3G will not work. 4G will. Unroot will not work as it requires a D3 to function!!!!! Any ideas???

Last edited:

hawleyncsu

Reaction score
I got everything rooted fine, and Titanium Backup Pro installed great

I went through and froze several apps, but now my 3G/4G lte wont work (it doesnt show up anymore in the top right corner)

apps I froze:
-blockbuster
-citrix
-city id
-gotomeeting
-guidedtours
-letsgolf
-myspace
-news
-nfl mobile
-online album
-photobucket
-slacker
-social everything
-vcast everything
-zumocast

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I got everything rooted fine, and Titanium Backup Pro installed great

I went through and froze several apps, but now my 3G/4G lte wont work (it doesnt show up anymore in the top right corner)

apps I froze:
-blockbuster
-citrix
-city id
-gotomeeting
-guidedtours
-letsgolf
-myspace
-news
-nfl mobile
-online album
-photobucket
-slacker
-social everything
-vcast everything
-zumocast

What happens when you unfreeze these apps? Still nothing?

hawleyncsu

Reaction score
Ok, I did that, and got my 4G back, but only for a brief moment before it switched to 3G (im in a strong 4G area). Earlier it did the same thing, before they both went away.
Obviously Im new to andriods, and the whole reason I wanted to root was so that I could freeze some one those annoying apps. Do I just need to go in and unroot?

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Unrooting shouldn't make a difference. Try a battery pull. Remove battery for 30 seconds and restart phone.

hawleyncsu

Reaction score
Tried the reset, but still no 4G. Andd 3G took and odd amount of time to start up too. Kind of regretting doing this root

Should I go in and do a factory reset? I have everything backed up with the titanium pro, but I guess that wont work if I do the reset

Last edited: