[HOW TO] Root without using ADB

nysta151

Reaction score
Well I was able to make some progress with it from last time.The thing was that my folder was named downloads instead of download. The only question I have left is after you type rm /system/bin/rootshell do you reboot the program and then type su?Thanks btw.

thelion

Reaction score
Ugh. So I was almost done. I got to this part.

Copy superuser files
You now have temporary root access and need to copy all of your files in to place to make it permanent. Type the following commands:

Code:
cp /sdcard/download/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
cp /sdcard/download/su /system/bin/su
cp /sdcard/download/busybox /system/bin/busybox
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
rm /system/bin/rootshell
exit
You now have root. I needed to close my terminal emulator (in Better Terminal, you need to actually click the menu button and exit) and reopen it. After this, type su

And someone knocked on the door. Like a fool, I hit "home" and now I am not sure what to do. I have the ninja. Any ideas?

grash

Reaction score

Copy superuser files
You now have temporary root access and need to copy all of your files in to place to make it permanent. Type the following commands:

Code:
rm /system/bin/rootshell
exit
You now have root. I needed to close my terminal emulator (in Better Terminal, you need to actually click the menu button and exit) and reopen it. After this, type su

And someone knocked on the door. Like a fool, I hit "home" and now I am not sure what to do. I have the ninja. Any ideas?
Nothing. Your done. Type su in a terminal and see if it works. Prompt should change to a #. If not start over.

grash

Reaction score
Oops. I read that as you finished those steps then hit home. Just start over you should be good.

nysta151

Reaction score
I got it to work finally it wasn't so bad had to allow superuser to access my root.

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
Alright.. I was gonna wait to root this time.. but I just couldn't.. thanks for the easy guide, thanks to all the contributors, and thanks to hookbill for the sticky...

richjacksonkc

Reaction score

Copy superuser files

Code:
rm /system/bin/rootshell
exit

That was just OPPORTUNITY knocking, because your Droid X is now ROOTED..

..i'm sorry, I had to..

toothdaddy

Reaction score
"Attachment on first page..." I think I missed it?? Thanks for any direction you can provide

4runner

Reaction score
I joined here finally to say that I followed this thread to root my X. I am in no way advanced when it comes to this stuff and i managed to do it.

chykal

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt, people. I'd like some feedback on this thread.

1. Were the instructions on page 1 simple and easy to follow?
yes

2. Did anybody experience anything they couldn't get out of using this method?
no

3. Did you find the video to be helpful in the middle of the thread?
didn't watch it

A couple of you give me some feedback, I might decide to do something with this thread.

Thanks for the post.

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
am i gona be able to get the froyo update even if my droid x is rooted

at the very least you will be able to restore your phone to stock and update to froyo... but I'm sure froyo will be quickly rooted as well.... either way, returning from a fresh install and restoring all of your apps/data etc. is much easier with froyo than it is with 2.1.. so you should be good..

muad

Reaction score
This worked like a charm.

I tried several other How to Root walk throughs for my new X, and I could not get adp to work with win7 64bit. So, this was brilliant. Kudos to those who figured this all out for us Noobs.

-Will