[HOW TO] Root without using ADB

brendanstl

Reaction score
Did the same thing last night, forgot to extract but once I did it worked great. Thanks OP. Wireless tether works great too.

Eolly

Reaction score
mcsinfl;663037did you extract the zip file into the download directory? I think I had the same problem last night and then realized I hadn't extracted[/quote said:
You missed:
chmod 755 exploid
Yes I extracted it but following the guide it said to do it in that folder. So instead of a generic download folder it was in my xscope folder /facepalm.

You were right so to speak qoncept I was missing more than just that tho lol.

Thanks guys.

I moved the files to a generic download folder and bam rooted.

derrtysky

Reaction score
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
rm /system/bin/rootshell

Can someone help me with this part?? i have done this many times and everytime i have to enter this code it says if can't be found. Do i have to put su and busybox in the folders?? please help

Metups

Reaction score
Thanks for the video, wsbsteven. One thing: after you hit the home key to power off and on wifi, how do you jump from the home screen back to the terminal emulator quickly like that? I saw on the video that the person doing the rooting hit a key (or combo) that brought up a list of tasks with the emulator on it. Is there a button combo that you enter or is that some task manager?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt, people. I'd like some feedback on this thread.

1. Were the instructions on page 1 simple and easy to follow?

2. Did anybody experience anything they couldn't get out of using this method?

3. Did you find the video to be helpful in the middle of the thread?

A couple of you give me some feedback, I might decide to do something with this thread.

Metups

Reaction score
Got it to work. Dang! Superuser request window pops up asking for admin permissions and I pressed "allow". Now, the fun begins...

dfitz

Reaction score

A couple of you give me some feedback, I might decide to do something with this thread.

Yes, instructions were easy to follow. Worked without issue. I watched the video after the fact so I can't comment on that.

You may want to add in the toggling wifi on/off section about holding down home to see the 6 most recent apps to get back into the emulator. I knew about this but might be helpful for new people. Hope the feedback helps...

harsaphes

Reaction score
My x will not download the zip file...says file not supported....ideas.
Thanks

Humpa

Reaction score
Thanks
This thread is rather small. That question has been asked and answered with a couple different solutions.
Someone said Skyfire works, and someone said to download Astro and change the browser download setting. Did niether of those solutions work for you?

kas1229

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4 verizon

Yes, the instructions were very simple. however I did what some other user did and downloaded the file to my computer and then transfered it to my sd card where i extracted the files. Nevertheless it worked like a charm, although the file name was also different from what was mentioned in the thread (droidroot.v2).

The bottom line is I'm rooted , it was a simple process and I'm happy:). Also I think that some folks might be a little over zealous and maybe missing a space here and there.

Thanks to the birdman and all who worked on this project. This was much easier than rooting my original moto droid.

harsaphes

Reaction score
Thanks
This thread is rather small. That question has been asked and answered with a couple different solutions.
Someone said Skyfire works, and someone said to download Astro and change the browser download setting. Did niether of those solutions work for you?

Actually I emailed the zip file to my phone and then proceeded. Worked after that:)

mcsinfl

Reaction score
I had one slight issue, I use Slideit keyboard, and when I tried typing in terminal, it would double post whatever I typed; went to keyboard settings and chose stock keyboard and all was well, not a problem with the instructions, just a phone setting that caused complications