[HOW TO] Root without using ADB

mnlghtknight

Reaction score
hey great tutorial!
one thing that I did was i had the files under a folder called /update so i just added all of that into the copy code stuff.
/sdcard/downloads/update/*

anyways, i have it rooted now, just wondering how I install non android market applications. i tried dragging them over, but they keep saying not installed. seems like the only application with super user permissions is the terminal. can I change this? thanks a lot great guide this should be stickied.

OP
Q

qoncept

You don't need to drag root apps over, just click on them in Astro/Files, open app manager and choose install. When they need to access something that requires root the Superuser app will come up and ask you.

OP
Q

qoncept

Just skip the step for unzipping then, you're ready to go.

mnlghtknight

Reaction score

Humpa

Reaction score
So after u root ur phone how do u unroot incase it needs warranty replacement?
I'd wait until there was a method to unroot. As of now, none has been posted.

But I doubt I'd bother unrooting for a warranty exchange. The VZW tech would be clueless to root, and I've never heard of Moto "inspecting" phones for root. But I suspect that if I needed a warranty exchange I'd not be able to unroot anyway. ;)

jtseals

Reaction score
im stuck at the begining when i download the file from alldroid off of my droid x it says cannot download the content is not supported on the phone

jtseals

Reaction score
i went ahead and forgot about doing it from the phone i downloaded the file and then put it on the root of my sd card with the usb cable but when i use terminal emulator i get a error when i type in cp /sdcard/download/exploid ./exploid it says no such file directory any help

Humpa

Reaction score
i went ahead and forgot about doing it from the phone i downloaded the file and then put it on the root of my sd card with the usb cable but when i use terminal emulator i get a error when i type in cp /sdcard/download/exploid ./exploid it says no such file directory any help
You need to extract the files. Then place just those extracted files into the sdcard/download folder. You can see that it is looking for "exploid" in the /sdcard/download folder, so just put it there. ;)

I haven't tried it yet, but I see per this thread that you want to put the following files in the sdcard/download folder, then then that cp will work:
Busybox
exploid
exploid.c
su
superuser.apk

jtseals

Reaction score
ok thanks to humpa im alot closer got to the sdcard/download/busybox /system/bin/busybox and saying no such file or directory

cadillac6661

Reaction score
Damn here super n00b goes with another question: how do I set up the emulator? Thought I'd download from the market and start typing cmds?!?!

Edit: Sucks to be a truck driver with hacker dreams...