How to root the Droid X with OTA Gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by wdcspurs, Jun 2, 2011.

1. wdcspurs

wdcspurs New Member

I just received the OTA Gingerbread update for my Droid X. When I had Froyo, i was able to use Z4Root to get it rooted. Will that work as well for the new gingerbread OTA. All I can find so far are instructions that push you to be running Froyo and use a leaked,rooted version of gingerbread, which is the current build. If rooting the OTA version isnt possible at this time, will it be in the future?
  2. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Hopefully there will be a method to root it with an .apk like Z4Root or Gingerbreak, but right now nothing works to root it that way. Gingerbreak would root the leaks up until .595. I'm sure people are working on cracking it.

The only thing you can do right now is to SBF your X to .340 and do a factory reset, get back on 2.2.1 and root it with Z4Root and install the Droid 2 Bootstrap recovery and install the two part patched update method P3Droid has on mydroidworld.com. That's your only option right now.
  3. zackmobis

zackmobis New Member

I dont think that GB OTA can be rooted at this time but i am hoping it will be available soon.
  4. wdcspurs

wdcspurs New Member

Thanks!

I appreciate it fellas! Im new to my Droid X, and love that the OS finally got updated, but I am ready for a simple root process like what was available on Froyo. I assume it will take a little bit for it to occur, but Ill keep my eyes open and post a link on this thread when I come across one, and ask that you do the same as well.
  5. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

You cannot root this OTA yet. You have to download and install pre-rooted version if you want root.
  6. nscra

nscra New Member

I think that I am going to have to wait for a one-click root option for the OTA Gingerbread.

My only other option is sbf back to froyo 2.3.340, and do a factory reset, get back on 2.2.1 and root it with Z4Root and install the Droid 2 Bootstrap recovery and install the two part patched update but I still haven't found any detailed step-by-step instructions that tell me exactly how to do all of that.

Has anyone seen any? Link?
  7. leonozug

leonozug New Member

I take it you never tried Mydroidworld? That's P3Droid's site. That's where you want to go for DX stuff. Go here and everything you need is in this post...
    Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone
  8. nscra

nscra New Member

That thread is 93 pages pages long. I couldn't find detailed step-by-step instructions, only general instructions for people who already seem to know what to do. I saw several people in that thread asked for detailed step-by-instructions on how to sbf from OTA Gingerbread back to Froyo 2.3.340 and then install rooted Gingerbread but never received them.

I liked one of the comments in that thread:

"I am looking for a dumbed down step by step. I am relatively tech savvy, I just don't want to make any rookie mistakes."

I am in the same situation.
  9. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Unfortunately you have to do some digging and reading sometimes man. I learned how to do all this stuff by doing just that. Here's video that will help you with the SBF part. It has all the links you need too.

http://sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/

10. jrlecato

jrlecato New Member

Ok I get it right ! But, my factory reset did not take me back to 2.1 or froyo ? So what now? I have rom manager and it doesn't let me reboot and run a system swipe. Permission to access file denied. I would like to know my next option. Please give some ideals. Thanks
  11. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Did you SBF THEN do the factory reset? If you did it would be on 2.2.1 Froyo. A factory reset is not enough to get off of 2.3.3 Gingerbread.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  12. jrlecato

jrlecato New Member

What is sbf? This is my mistake!!
  13. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Basically, if you want to root the DX you need to learn how to SBF it in case you screw it up rooting/romming it or need to bring it back to Verizon stock again. I'll send you links on how to do it in a PM.
  14. jrlecato

jrlecato New Member

Thanh u very much
  15. Detonation

Detonation New Member

I'd do some research on what SBF'ing is before you dive right in, because if you mess up the process you can brick your phone. Here is the guide I used:
    SBF - Detailed Guide for Success - Windows 7
  16. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Believe me, I tell everyone to read up and research before they do an SBF...it seems everyone these days wants an instant one button fix but it isn't that easy!! lol

I also send a video of the whole process showing how to exactly do it and execute it properly. Seems since the DX Gingerbread OTA happened, SBF'ing has gotten a WHOLE lot more popular!! lol
Search tags for this page
how can i root my droid x running gingerbread

how to root droid x gingerbread

root droidx free ota
rooted droid x froyo will mot take ota
rooting