How to root stock 2.2 using unrEVOked 3.32

pdub75

Reaction score
Unexpected communication error

I am trying to root my droid incredible 2.1 and everything should be right. I followed the directions exactly with the driver install and checked just as instructed. The unrevoked seems to operate properly untill the end while rooting it keeps saying communications with phone unexpetedly interupted, try again. I have tried multiples and it just keeps doing the same thing. any suggestions? I am operating with windows pc vista.

Wawaloha

Reaction score
stock 2.2?

I'm trying to root an Incredible for a friend that's running on 2.2. I've followed all the steps but when I get to the flashing on step 2 it fails. The error message (on the computer) asks if I'm using the most current software. When re-reading the instructions I noticed it said STOCK 2.2. Does this mean if there is an update it won't work? If not, how can I revert back to stock 2.2?

OP
enlightened

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm trying to root an Incredible for a friend that's running on 2.2. I've followed all the steps but when I get to the flashing on step 2 it fails. The error message (on the computer) asks if I'm using the most current software. When re-reading the instructions I noticed it said STOCK 2.2. Does this mean if there is an update it won't work? If not, how can I revert back to stock 2.2?

Are you trying to root an Incredible or Incredible 2?

Wawaloha

Reaction score

Are you trying to root an Incredible or Incredible 2?

Incredible

daultim

Reaction score
used unrevoked to root my dinc....will it work the same for moto 2 running 2.2?

OP
enlightened

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It works on any version of 2.2- updated or not. Sometimes you just need to try it a few different times. Have you gotten it to work yet?

kruno555

Reaction score
i broke my htc desire's amoled display and bought a new s-lcd display (didnt know that was a problem then) and the new s-lcd dispay was built in i found out that my hboot version or ruu version not sure was no old for the s-lcd display and that caused my screen to stay black but i could still use it so i rooted the phone with this guide and it was successfull but my screen stayed black i read here that there is a fix for this in this tool but didnt work for me :( any advice what to do now ?

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i broke my htc desire's amoled display and bought a new s-lcd display (didnt know that was a problem then) and the new s-lcd dispay was built in i found out that my hboot version or ruu version not sure was no old for the s-lcd display and that caused my screen to stay black but i could still use it so i rooted the phone with this guide and it was successfull but my screen stayed black i read here that there is a fix for this in this tool but didnt work for me :( any advice what to do now ?

Your question would be better if asked in a HTC Desire forum where you can get better responses. This is a forum for the HTC Incredible.

ranger473

Reaction score
Thanks for the Help!

enlightened,

Thanks for the clear and concise directions - it was a breeze!

There are 2 main steps: installing drivers and running the unrEVOked 3.32 flash tool.
THIS PROCESS WORKS ON BOTH AMOLED AND SLCD DEVICES!!!

Step 1: INSTALLING DRIVERS- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND THE NUMBER ONE THING PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH. Read all instructions CAREFULLY before starting.

In Windows:
Download and install unrEVOked modified USB Driver
  1. Uninstall HTC Sync, DoubleTwist, and DropBox from the PC. They can be reinstalled later if you desire, but for now they've got to go.
  2. Download and unzip the file (from the link above), leaving the folder Android USB Driver somewhere like on your desktop
  3. Unplug your phone from USB
  4. Power down your phone
  5. Now simultaneously press the volume DOWN button and the power button, holding till the HBOOT screen appears
  6. Now connect the USB cable between the phone and your PC
  7. The word HBOOT (blue box with white letters) will change to HBOOT USB PLUG
  8. Look at your Windows Device Manager (to open Device Manager, right click My Computer, select Manage..., select the Device Manager) and see if you already have Android Phone listed for HBOOT as shown in one of the images in the link below. If you see the Android Phone, you're ready to root and can skip the rest of this. Otherwise, you do not have HBOOT-capable drivers, and you need to install them. Windows should be looking for drivers now. At this point things may differ between XP and Vista/7.
*In XP: the New Hardware Found Wizard should appear. Tell it NOT to use Windows Update, and moving along, tell it to look in a specified location. It will pop up a file open dialog. Navigate to the Android USB Driver folder, click OK then click Next.

*In Windows Vista/ Windows 7: You might not see the New Hardware Found Wizard. Open the Device Manager (Right click My Computer, select Manage, then select the Device Manager). You will see an Android Phone node in the tree with a "caution" icon node beneath it. Right click on the caution-marked node and select Update Driver. Select NOT to look in Windows Update; instead, choose Install from a specified location. It will pop up a file open dialog. Navigate to the Android USB Driver folder, click OK, then click Next.

Complete driver instruction list (including pictures):
public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

If installing on Mac OS: No driver needed.

STEP 2: FLASHING THE unrEVOked 3.32 TOOL (note- website just says unrEVOked 3 even though you're actually using version 3.32. Don't be alarmed/ confused.)
  1. Start phone in normal mode. (If in HBOOT from step 1, select Fastboot with the power button and then press volume down until "Reboot" is highlighted. Press the power button to select.)
  2. Enable USB Debugging (Settings, Applications, Development).
  3. Enable Unknown Sources (Settings, Applications at the top).
  4. Enable USB "Ask Me" mode (Settings, Connect to PC).
  5. Plug in the USB cable and choose Charge Only on the phone. On the Mac you may get an error about not being able to mount, click Ignore.
  6. On Windows (only), open the Device Manager and verify that you see the "Android for ADB"
  7. Get the reflash rooting tool from unrEVOked (3.32) here:
    unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32 (Choose the right OS! :))
  8. Run Reflash on the PC/Mac/Linux system.
If you did everything right, and if your phone is a stock 2.2 Incredible, Reflash will come up and start the rooting process.

Be patient! The process involves several (4) reboots and some long periods of apparent inactivity. Let it go. Wait for at least 5 minutes before deciding it has become stuck.

How to know it worked:
Once the Reflash process completes (5 or so minutes), unplug USB and reboot the phone. It will look normal. Open the App tray and look for the Superuser app. The app details will be blank- that's entirely normal and what is to be expected. For final confirmation, reboot the phone into HBOOT and see if it says S-OFF at the top. If so, you're rooted!

Okay, I lied (sorry!)- one more step:
STEP 3: UPDATING RECOVERY IMAGE AND CREATING A NANDROID BACKUP (complete backup of the phone in case anything goes awry later):

NOTE: You'll already be in HBOOT (if you followed the instructions above to verify that root was successful) so do the backup now.
  1. While in HBOOT, use the volume buttons to navigate down to RECOVERY and press the Power button. The phone will appear to reboot but it will end up in the ClockWorkMod recovery screen.
  2. From now on use the trackball on the Incredible to scroll through options. Move to Backup and Restore, then select. This will show the Backup and Restore menu.
  3. Move to and select Backup to begin the process, which will take a few minutes.
  4. When the backup completes (several minutes- patience!) press the power button to return to the main ClockWorkMod menu
  5. Navigate to Reboot System, go.
  6. The phone should reboot into normal mode once backup is completed. Enjoy your phone!
---------------------------------------------------------
BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY OTHER MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR PHONE (such as flashing ROMs, kernels, etc.) please do lots of research so you know what you're getting into, which options work best for you, etc.

UnrEVOked 3.32 is an all-in-one tool; YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN UNREVOKED FOREVER after rooting.
Security is turned off (S-off) by default when using this tool on the Incredible so there is nothing more that needs to be done.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST REQUESTING ASSISTANCE ROOTING YOUR PHONE.
ALL HELP REQUESTS MUST BE POSTED IN A NEW THREAD.

airbornedentist

Reaction score
keep getting the software too new error

Thanks for the awesome description. I read the entire thread. I have the original droid incredible. I already had a driver from pdanet...I uninstalled that and followed your directions exactly. I keep getting the software too new error.

I have done this about 10 times now...same thing...restarts...and then on the restart it says running root...then "failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?"

Also, I have the superuser app on there (and it is blank), but I am still S-ON on the reboot. Do I need S-Off to install CM7?

I have froyo 2.3.4

Thanks!

Eric

Last edited:
OP
enlightened

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doesn't work on Gingerbread (Android 2.3). If you accepted the most recent OTAs you have to use another method.