How To Root OTA NK2 Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s5-copper.jpg

Just a few days ago Verizon started rolling out a minor update to Samsung Galaxy S5s. This update did not bring much at all in the way of added features, and this certainly did not bring Lollipop 5.0. One thing the update did do is take away root for those that were rooted. The good news is that there is a way to get root back on your Verizon Galaxy S5! Dev Open1Your1Eyes0 has confirmed the previous root method will work with the latest update. He has also gone through the effort to pull the kernel from the new ota so that you can root the device.

To Regain Root After NK2 Update:

1. If already updated proceed to next step, otherwise you will need to be sure you are fully stock NI2 unrooted with safestrap uninstalled (If you are not there you will need to ODIN back to NI2 stock)
2. Once on NI2 stock, accept the NK2 update (confirm all is working)
3. Flash The NCG stock kernel via Odin (after flashing the kernel your device will crash and hang alot you will need to do your best to push through to the next step)
4. Root using Towelroot
5. Install SuperSU, open the app and allow it to update binaries normally
6. Flash NK2 kernel via ODIN
7. Reboot and Enjoy

Argonitious

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5 (VZW) G900V
Thanks for the guide! I do have one question. Do you know if this will trip the knox counter?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum @Argonitious! I apologize for the delay in responding. This will not trip the Knox counter.
Good luck and holler if there's anything else we can help you with.

S5 tap'n

delta_foxtrot

Reaction score
Hi, thank you so much for the link to the NCG kernel, I was just wondering how to get back to NK2 firmware.
I found the N12 firmware download on XDA but I need the NK2 firmware, where can I get that?
Thanks

Last edited:

FingerBlastJ

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon S5
When i flash NCG back from NK2 the phone is just a black screen.

The only thing i can do is flash NI2 or NK2.

When you say:

"your device will crash and hang alot you will need to do your best to push through to the next step"

What else can i do to push through?

FingerBlastJ

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon S5
yea...download parallels or vm ware fusion and install windows as a virtual machine

kushpancake

Reaction score

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Originally Posted by bdorr1105 (xda)

No since you are on the latest firmware.... Just follow this OP but start with flashing the kernel in step 3, just have towel root already installed because of all the force closes, then flash the NK2 firmware from the link I provided and you will have root

GUIDE to ROOT on NK2 Firmware (If you are on NK2 and not rooted)

1. Install Towel Root

2. Download G900V_NCG_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 from this OP

3. Odin flash NCG Stock Kernel

4. Reboot phone

5. Root with Towel Root

6. Reboot to Download Mode

7. Odin flash (Extract Tar from Zip before you flash) (This installs Kernel and Modem and retains root or NK2_Kernel Only. Either one is fine

8. Install Superuser from Market if you have not already (You can do this during step 1 as well

9. Open Superuser and It should request to update binary - Choose Normal (DO NOT CHOSE TWRP)

10. Done

Please make sure to follow all the directions exactly posted in the original post. Make sure you have all the necessary files downloaded BEFORE you begin. Read through the directions a few times so you completely understand them, watch the corresponding video DMX made, and more importantly give yourself plenty of time to do this. It's not something you'll want to rush through and try to do on your lunch break.
Take your time and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

DroidModderX has made a great video tutorial you'll want to watch a few times and use as a reference as you're going. Since you're already on NK2, you'll start at about the 1:30 mark.
Verizon Galaxy S5 NK2 How To Root Latest 4.4.4 OT…: Again, make sure you have all the necessary files downloaded and ready to go first.

Once you're rooted you're going to want to download Titanium Backup. It's THE go-to app for backups. You'll want to go into TiBU and freeze two files so Verizon doesn't try to push an update to your device. It will also get rid of those annoying "update notification" popups. The two files to freeze (not delete) are: SDM & FWUpgrade

Good luck and holler if you need a hand with anything.

S5 tap'n

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
TBH, I'm not sure. I would assume it would be ok, but personally I would stick with the version suggested in the guide just to be on the safe side.
Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

S5 tap'n

kushpancake

Reaction score
will odin extract the nk2 stock kernel.zip? I cant figure out how to get the tar file. i have the ncg tar.md5 just not the nk2