[How To] Root (or re-root) after 5.5.893

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm back on the update path...used P3's 1 click method and his method to regain root. Is there a way to verify that your phone is in fact forever rooted? Thanks again!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm back on the update path...used P3's 1 click method and his method to regain root. Is there a way to verify that your phone is in fact forever rooted? Thanks again!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

using Root Explorer, or some other rooted file explorer app, navigate to /system/bin, then find the file mount_ext3.sh

Open/view that file - at the very bottom there should be three lines of "code":

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

If you see those lines, you're good to go. There are some variants to how the permissions are setup, so if you see something close to that, you're likely good to go as well.

cervri

Reaction score
I used 1 click exploit. Phone never rebooted. Instead it went into a loop sequence of some kind. Power button would not work. Finally pulled the battery and restarted. When I rebooted I checked for root and did not have it. Like another user, I just had to install superuser and busybox from the market and everything is perfect. Well maybe. Root checker says that I am rooted.
I opened mount_ext3.sh and I did not find:
the 3 lines of code. lines of "code":blink:
The last line go like this.
${mount -t ext3 -0 nosued, nodev,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1 ${BLOCK_DEVICE}
${MOUNT_POINT}
F1
Where am I at?? Never done this before so really hoping for the best.

Droids

Reaction score
I used 1 click exploit. Phone never rebooted. Instead it went into a loop sequence of some kind. Power button would not work. Finally pulled the battery and restarted. When I rebooted I checked for root and did not have it. Like another user, I just had to install superuser and busybox from the market and everything is perfect. Well maybe. Root checker says that I am rooted.
I opened mount_ext3.sh and I did not find:
the 3 lines of code. lines of "code":blink:
The last line go like this.
${mount -t ext3 -0 nosued, nodev,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1 ${BLOCK_DEVICE}
${MOUNT_POINT}
F1
Where am I at?? Never done this before so really hoping for the best.
Those three lines are not part of rooting, they are added after you root so that you may retain your root after a future OTA update. If you are indeed rooted, you can simply edit that file yourself and add the three lines to the end of the file. That's how I did it. If you also use Titanium Backup it may complain that the superuser app permissions are wrong and will offer to change them for you. It will change the permission from 4755 to 6755. If you reboot the changes are reversed because of these three lines. I changed all three of mine from 4755 (or 755) to 6755. Both permission types are fine, and no harm done changing them to:
chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 6755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

There is lots of discussion on any need for the apk to be anything more than 755, and if xbin/su even exists on your phone, it's just a symlink to the actual file in /bin.

I just went with 6755 on all three because it doesn't really matter and doesn't hurt either, and keeps TB from complaining.

cervri

Reaction score
What is the name of the file used to edit the mount_ext3.sh file?:biggrin:

cervri

Reaction score
What is the name of the program used to edit the mount_ext3.sh file?

Droids

Reaction score
What is the name of the file used to edit the mount_ext3.sh file?:biggrin:
I use Root Explorer to navigate to system/bin and then change permissions from Read Only (RO at the top of the root explorer window) to Read/Write, then long press on mount_ext3.sh and you should see an option to open the file in a text editor. Add the three lines to the very bottom of the file, and it's ok to add a blank line before you add the three if you want. After you make the changes, close the file and you'll be prompted to save, in which case it will make a backup of the original for you. Change the root explorer permission back to RO, exit and reboot.

cervri

Reaction score
Maybe tomorrow I will update to 901. I have had enough of this for today.....Thank you all.:icon_ banana:

DanSan

Reaction score
made this video of me rooting my friends 5.5.893 version bionic today. might help somebody out.

[video=youtube;u-Ww8BAa3KU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Ww8BAa3KU[/video]

kip1miller

Reaction score
thank you

This is nothing new, but I'm seeing all over the place people talking about losing root once they took the 5.5.893 OTA, or simply wanting to root now, and thought this could be beneficial and easier to find, since this solution is being posted in various threads now. If you used the "forever root" method, you should've kept root, but if not, this will work (Windows only).

Here's the kicker - if you were rooted before, this might not work, at first. Evidently some remnant of root, whether it's the .apk or su or whatever messes this up. (if you never rooted, this should work fine) For me, I had to do a factory reset, which was no big deal since I had my apps/data backed up - it cleaned out whatever was causing the problem before. When I ran this after a factory reset, it worked fine. It did give me one message about a file already existing, but continued and worked fine. Others have reported that, instead of a factory reset, they simply had to manually install busybox/Superuser from the market - but neither of those solutions worked for me since I didn't have root access. So, that said... here it is:
  1. If you don't already have them, download/install the appropriate Motorola drivers (32 bit or 64 bit) - just extract / install
  2. Download this file (thx p3droid): one click exploit (if you don't have a MDW account, use THIS [thx Droids])
  3. Extract it to your desktop (or wherever - just easier to get to for me on my desktop!)
  4. On your phone, make sure USB Debugging is enabled (settings > applications > development)
  5. Plug it into your computer and make sure it's set to "Charge Only"
  6. Open up the folder you just extracted and double click "runme.bat"
  7. Follow instructions and you should be good to go. It will reboot towards the end, just let it finish after it reboots.
  8. If this doesn't work or you get an error, you might have to factory reset or try one of the other solutions mentioned in the "kicker" above.
Hope this helps... again, this is not my thing, just thought this could be easier for people to find.

Thanks. Worked great

brent.murray

Reaction score
Just used this on my .893 Stock Bionic. Worked like a *charm*!!! No problems, truly 1 click.. BANG! I love having ROOTED ACCESS AGAIN!:icon_ lala: (Had it on my OG Droid) THANK YA'LL and Thanks for posting this for us! dancedroid