[How To] Root (or re-root) after 5.5.893

das2042

Reaction score
Ok, I used the one click method to try and reroot before I saw this thread. So I obviously did a factory reset(becoming a huge pain) and did this one click, but I have no super user? Is everyone getting this message?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dliontis28

Reaction score
This is nothing new, but I'm seeing all over the place people talking about losing root once they took the 5.5.893 OTA, or simply wanting to root now, and thought this could be beneficial and easier to find, since this solution is being posted in various threads now. If you used the "forever root" method, you should've kept root, but if not, this will work (Windows only).

Here's the kicker - if you were rooted before, this might not work, at first. Evidently some remnant of root, whether it's the .apk or su or whatever messes this up. (if you never rooted, this should work fine) For me, I had to do a factory reset, which was no big deal since I had my apps/data backed up - it cleaned out whatever was causing the problem before. When I ran this after a factory reset, it worked fine. It did give me one message about a file already existing, but continued and worked fine. Others have reported that, instead of a factory reset, they simply had to manually install busybox/Superuser from the market - but neither of those solutions worked for me since I didn't have root access. So, that said... here it is:
  1. If you don't already have them, download/install the appropriate Motorola drivers (32 bit or 64 bit) - just extract / install
  2. Download this file (thx p3droid): one click exploit (if you don't have a MDW account, use THIS [thx Droids])
  3. Extract it to your desktop (or wherever - just easier to get to for me on my desktop!)
  4. On your phone, make sure USB Debugging is enabled (settings > applications > development)
  5. Plug it into your computer and make sure it's set to "Charge Only"
  6. Open up the folder you just extracted and double click "runme.bat"
  7. Follow instructions and you should be good to go. It will reboot towards the end, just let it finish after it reboots.
  8. If this doesn't work or you get an error, you might have to factory reset or try one of the other solutions mentioned in the "kicker" above.
Hope this helps... again, this is not my thing, just thought this could be easier for people to find.

you the Mother F ing man. thanks for the little walk thru. worked like a charm:hail:

das2042

Reaction score
Okay :) , you too amd all the others (devs, programmers, and all the children rockin in the free world) Lol.

haha, i meant am i the only one having issues with regaining root? i'm getting no help and alls i see are cheers of joy for everyone else regaining root. i want to be merry! can anyone help with my problem of "adb" is not recognized?

dliontis28

Reaction score
haha, i meant am i the only one having issues with regaining root? i'm getting no help and alls i see are cheers of joy for everyone else regaining root. i want to be merry! can anyone help with my problem of "adb" is not recognized?[/QU

I used this to unroot (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...7679-my-update-experience-what-worked-me.html) and then updated. I then followed this. Didnt work the first time so i did a factory reset and redid the steps above and had no problems. Hope this helps

das2042

Reaction score
yea, but i'm already updated and i already did a factory reset...twice

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
das is the batch file in the same folder as the rest of the files that came in the zip? BC its acting like there is no adb available, like its looking in the wrong place.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

das2042

Reaction score
das is the batch file in the same folder as the rest of the files that came in the zip? BC its acting like there is no adb available, like its looking in the wrong place.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

key word there...zip! i'm such an idiot sometimes and forgot to extract it! i'm up and running rooted and ready to go! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

_base2

Reaction score
do you guys know if this includes the forever root hack?

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
do you guys know if this includes the forever root hack?

I noticed mine was "forever rooted" after doing it, but it could've been leftover...

if you go into /system/bin in Root Explorer, and open mount_ext3.sh (text editor), at the very bottom there should be 3 chmod commands for su and Superuser - if those are there, you're good to go... if not, just add these three lines to the very bottom:

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

That's really all "forever root" is doing.

_base2

Reaction score
I noticed mine was "forever rooted" after doing it, but it could've been leftover...

if you go into /system/bin in Root Explorer, and open mount_ext3.sh (text editor), at the very bottom there should be 3 chmod commands for su and Superuser - if those are there, you're good to go... if not, just add these three lines to the very bottom:

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

That's really all "forever root" is doing.

mine looks a tiny bit different, but it is forever rooted though... i applied it using dhacker / droidtheory's tool after i rooted via p3's batch method. mine reads: #4everRoot hack thanks p3 and crpeck
chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk

... that's it. I assume that's sufficient...

EDIT: I also happened to look at p3's manual method and it doesn't edit this file, so I'm assuming that the root method alone does not apply the forever root hack

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah - I've seen various reports of different ways of setting the permissions and it still working, so I'm sure it's good! I just pulled mine from p3's instructions on MDW.

_base2

Reaction score
yeah so far so good! thanks for the feedback -- i really appreciate it. i should've just stayed rooted in the first place... i unrooted so that I could receive company email... (security check on the email app disallows root.... majorly lame) but instead of staying unrooted, i bought a tablet (xoom 4g) so that I could get email on there so i could continue to hack my bionic lol

ruck0loc0

Reaction score
the phone didnt reboot during the process... did something go wrong?