[How To] Root (or re-root) after 5.5.893

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is nothing new, but I'm seeing all over the place people talking about losing root once they took the 5.5.893 OTA, or simply wanting to root now, and thought this could be beneficial and easier to find, since this solution is being posted in various threads now. If you used the "forever root" method, you should've kept root, but if not, this will work (Windows only).

Here's the kicker - if you were rooted before, this might not work, at first. Evidently some remnant of root, whether it's the .apk or su or whatever messes this up. (if you never rooted, this should work fine) For me, I had to do a factory reset, which was no big deal since I had my apps/data backed up - it cleaned out whatever was causing the problem before. When I ran this after a factory reset, it worked fine. It did give me one message about a file already existing, but continued and worked fine. Others have reported that, instead of a factory reset, they simply had to manually install busybox/Superuser from the market - but neither of those solutions worked for me since I didn't have root access. So, that said... here it is:
  1. If you don't already have them, download/install the appropriate Motorola drivers (32 bit or 64 bit) - just extract / install
  2. Download this file (thx p3droid): one click exploit (if you don't have a MDW account, use THIS [thx Droids])
  3. Extract it to your desktop (or wherever - just easier to get to for me on my desktop!)
  4. On your phone, make sure USB Debugging is enabled (settings > applications > development)
  5. Plug it into your computer and make sure it's set to "Charge Only"
  6. Open up the folder you just extracted and double click "runme.bat"
  7. Follow instructions and you should be good to go. It will reboot towards the end, just let it finish after it reboots.
  8. If this doesn't work or you get an error, you might have to factory reset or try one of the other solutions mentioned in the "kicker" above.
Hope this helps... again, this is not my thing, just thought this could be easier for people to find.

Last edited:
OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks jntdroid. I've been waiting until after the .893 update to root and this worked fine.

For anyone without a mydroidworld account and unable to get the one click exploit from the link, you can get it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12050927/1-click_exploit.zip

Thanks - didn't even think about the MDW account requirement. Not that I needed to b/c you're post #2, but I added your link to the post.

hogowner

Reaction score
thanks for this!!!

I am getting my Bionic tomorrow.....I am going to get the OTA update and then I am going to use your process,,,,,I will report back tomorrow,,,,,

MrCapcom

Reaction score
W00t THanks I just got my Bionic and got the update. Then Ran the instructions above and now have root :)dancedroid

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Great thread. I'm one of those who was rooted on the OG Droid (still use it on Wi-Fi running CM7) but didn't want to root my Bionic until after the first OTA. I'm about ready to take the plunge. I do have a question though:

I'm not interested in installing custom ROMs right now -- just want to freeze some of the bloatware with TiBu and install a custom font (Roboto), maybe change the boot animation, that kind of thing. In that case, should I install a custom recovery (e.g. ClockWorkMod) or just leave the default recovery alone? Since I'm not installing custom ROMs I don't think I would really need it, but it would be good insurance to have a nandroid backup just in case something gets hosed up when rooted. On the other hand, I want to be able to get any future OTAs (especially ICS) without the hassle of doing a factory reset. Is it possible to install OTA updates using a custom recovery? Haven't seen any info about this -- any advice would be appreciated!

Firemedic67

Reaction score
Thanks!

Just did OTA update and rooted using your instructions. Works!! Thank you:hail:!! All I needed was to activate the mobile hot spot for that new tablet "Santa" is bringing! How to I un-root if needed???

Masurati

Reaction score
OTA handcuffed me at work. Waited for update before I rooted hoping miracles would happen. Still waiting. Got off work, came home, dropped the one click method and im done. Simple. Complete. Im out. Thanx too all the mods who keep working stiffslike me up to speed. Could not do it without you. Peace.

fuel138

Reaction score
How do I get the charge only option to come up? My screen is non responsive as soon as I attach USB cable, so I can't use the pulled down or access the phone at all. Debugging is checked. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

flyboyron

Reaction score
Worked for me!

Just re-rooted after getting the OTA update for .893. This method worked like a champ for me!

Not a hiccup. Plug and chug!

You guys are the greatest! THANKS!

Ron:icon_ lala:

parton1080

Reaction score
@unbesorgt - Go ahead and install CWM and make a nandroid backup before you start modding stuff. That's the only way that makes sense to me.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
@unbesorgt - Go ahead and install CWM and make a nandroid backup before you start modding stuff. That's the only way that makes sense to me.

Thanks, that's what I ended up doing. Pretty sure OTA updates can be flashed using CWM as well, since it essentially does the same thing as the stock recovery. Might have to download the OTA file manually, but that's what I always end up doing anyway due to my impatience. :p

jrshelton13

Reaction score
How do I get the charge only option to come up? My screen is non responsive as soon as I attach USB cable, so I can't use the pulled down or access the phone at all. Debugging is checked. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Everytime I have this issue it is because I am not using the factory power/usb cable that came with the phone. Other cables will work charging the phone but they will not recognize the phone when you hook it up to your usb on our computer. If that is not the case I am sorry I couldn't be of help! Hope you get it figured it out, this method works splendidly!

Badger1313

Reaction score
Big Thanks to jntdroid for posting this root! I thought I was prepared for the .893 update but lost root. After spending fruitless hours trying a lot of different root protocols including 43v3r (which I installed before the update), I was about to do a meltdown. Gave up and went to bed. After a good night's sleep, I did a factory reset which left me at .893, followed the above script, and held my breath. IT WORKS! I am ROOTED and was then was able to download TitamiumBackup Premium again and it restored most of my otherapps and data. What a relief. Biggest issue is reinserting the apps I want onto the window panes.