How to root my galaxy nexus? Help please.

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just got my galaxy nexus right now and I want to root it as quickly as possible.I'm on system version 4.0.2 is there any new updates I missed? Is there any one click roots? What will I need to get my phone on the latest system version and have running the latest roms also what roms should I try out? Is there any apps I will need like rom manager or anything? I appreciate any and all help from you guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

skruid

Reaction score
Google wugs root tool, you need a PC just about any way you go rooting and unlocking bootloader, when you unlock it, the program will wipe everything

OP
Droid annoymous

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
Google wugs root tool, you need a PC just about any way you go rooting and unlocking bootloader, when you unlock it, the program will wipe everything

Do I need to do a system update or anything on my phone? And could you link me to it plz

skruid

Reaction score
Just Google it, quit being lazy and looking for the easy way out lol, no system update needed, good luck

OP
Droid annoymous

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
Just Google it, quit being lazy and looking for the easy way out lol, no system update needed, good luck

I'm not being lazy I just wana make sure I have the right one so I don't ruin my phone

skruid

Reaction score
Understandable that is how I found it, I don't have the link, it is on the galaxy nexus form, it can root and unlock boot loader on GSM and cdma don't think there is another version of this for and other device a least not that I am aware of, it will even install the right drivers on your computer for you

OP
Droid annoymous

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
Is there any roms that would be good to try out I had cyanogen on my last phone

NicoleNXD

Reaction score
There are so many good roms out there. Are you coming from a OG Droid? I am currently running liquid 1.0 and it's amazing. Great battery life and lots of features. I've had no problems what so ever. Also sourcery is supposed to drop sometime soon which was great on the OG. I think pe is in the works also. Cyanogen has some builds out also. I have tried aokp, codename, gummy, axioms newest and now settled on liquid. Those were all good. Liquid suits me better and am familiar with it coming from the OG.

OP
Droid annoymous

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
There are so many good rooms out there. Are you coming from a OG Droid? I am currently running liquid 1.0 and it's amazing. Great battery life and lots of features. I've had no problems what so ever. Also sourcery is supposed to drop sometime soon which was great on the OG. I think pe is in the works also. Cyanogen has some builds out also. I have tried aokp, codename, gummy, axioms newest and now settled on liquid. Those were all good. Liquid suits me better and am familiar with it coming from the OG.

Im coming from droid x I'm trying to transfer my files from my computer to my galaxy but its not showing up can you help me with that?

NicoleNXD

Reaction score
Had the same issue with mine. What I had to do was do a windows update. I ran the check for updates and a few things popped up. I can't remember exactly but there was something listed under other when the update list popped up. It says something like Samsung Ltd. Or something like that. I installed that and ran the other update and restarted the PC. After that it was fine and worked properly.

coolshock1

Reaction score
I'm tempted to root but haven't tried yet. Is there a program I can use to back up the current state of the phone the way I have it and is there a tutorial for noobs? I'm assuming there is so that you can flash it back to a stock image if you have to. Last time I did any modding on a phone was my TP2 when Android was first coming out. Last question....what are some of the key benefits of rooting besides having the ability to tether? Any major benefits?

NicoleNXD

Reaction score
I'm tempted to root but haven't tried yet. Is there a program I can use to back up the current state of the phone the way I have it and is there a tutorial for noobs? I'm assuming there is so that you can flash it back to a stock image if you have to. Last time I did any modding on a phone was my TP2 when Android was first coming out. Last question....what are some of the key benefits of rooting besides having the ability to tether? Any major benefits?

Look in the development section under the sticky tab. There's info on returning your phone back to stock. I used wugs tool kit and it worked great. I had a driver issue so it took a little longer but the instructions are easy to follow and he gives very good support to people having problems. All I can tell you is read, read, and read some more and never be afraid to ask questions.
There are numerous reasons people root, it all comes down to the person. Rooting could provide fixes to problems that otherwise would take who knows how long to get an update from Google or Verizon. The devs are extremely talented and provide great products. Also, it allows you more control of your device and can provide many extra add ons that you probably won't get unrooted. You can also use themes and customize many aspects of your phone to make it truly yours. Those are just a couple things. I'm sure others can chime in with more. =)

OP
Droid annoymous

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
How come when I get a message I have no led light?