How to root my Droid with 2.1 update

JGilmore78

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting a ROM on my Droid. I have the 2.1 update on there already. Can I ROOT my Droid with the 2.1 so I can install a custom ROM? I found a video on YouTube that stated that I would have to go back to 2.0.1 to do this. I would like a second opinion on this before I start. Thanks for all the help. :motdroidhoriz:

Shelooga

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting a ROM on my Droid. I have the 2.1 update on there already. Can I ROOT my Droid with the 2.1 so I can install a custom ROM? I found a video on YouTube that stated that I would have to go back to 2.0.1 to do this. I would like a second opinion on this before I start. Thanks for all the help. :motdroidhoriz:

i dont think you can root it straight from 2.1 to a new rom... that ive seen yet. you can go back and still get all the features from 2.1 like baseband upgrade n all the other obvious ones.

wish i knew how to create roms instead of leaching off others work..

Skrilax_CZ

Reaction score
I tried to rebuilt the sbf with the recovery only. It is experimental flash and has not been tested yet, use at your own risk: DOWNLOAD

Edit: It's already done actually before, search "sprecovery sbf"

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Start by watching a quick video...

Video: Installing a Custom ROM Using SPRecovery | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

I'm 2.1 and rooted... and it's so freekin easy it's a shame we've all been working this hard...

Has anyone tried this? Seems like it could be a pretty quick way to root if you got the 2.1 update. Would like to knowif its been verified before I try it.

Root Motorola DROID on Android 2.1 Platform Easily | Gadgets DNA

Thanks for both these post. Looks pretty good.

Last edited: