How To Root Latest OTA 4.4.4 Verizon Galaxy S5

xazilizax

Reaction score
HELP!!

I completed the first step by flashing NE9 with ODIN. When it rebooted, it is stuck on the red Veizon splash screen and it won't load. I tried re-flashing it, but that did not work.

What should I do now?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited: So, I was able to get it to boot up. Now I'm on NE9. I tried to update, but it would download and then when it tries to install, it says it's unsuccessful. What do I do now? Can I use Kies3 to update it or no?

Last edited:

KobySam

Reaction score
Can anyone here help me root xperia z C6603 running android version 4.4.4 kitkat? I checked YouTube for videos but didn't get any.

swc2001

Reaction score
Latest NI2 kernel is here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=

update: flashed and good to go. Everything went super easy and I'm now rooted on NI2
Thanks DMX for your video walkthrough and the guys at XDA!
So I was about to get this phone for my wife....
Will the OG post still get the Job done?
Also if it does work can I get Wifi Tether as well as Safestrap?
Thanks Bud !

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
So I was about to get this phone for my wife....
Will the OG post still get the Job done?
Also if it does work can I get Wifi Tether as well as Safestrap?
Thanks Bud !
DMX has a great video walkthrough to root after the latest NI2 update. Verizon Galaxy S5 NI2 How To Root Latest 4.4.4 OT…: It's super easy to do. Download Odin and the necessary tar files onto your PC. (Make sure you have Towelroot downloaded onto your phone before starting) Worked great on both me & my better halfs S5. Tether works great. We're currently using FoxFi, but there's a stock Tether hack available through Xposed and all of the Roms currently out for the Vzw S5 have incorporated it as well. I'm currently rooted/stock so I don't have Safestrap installed as of yet, but it should work fine on the latest build. You'll want to verify that on XDA though, unless someone else can confirm.
Good luck & holler if you need a hand with anything.

tap'n on my S5

es1635

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s5
I updated mind but now the wifi and 4g are both lighting up at the same time. How do I fix that?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This was posted in another thread that this is normal. If you're on WiFi, your data shouldn't be affected even though it appears to be. I don't remember the specifics but hopefully someone else will and chime in with an actual explanation.

tap'n on my S5

bigmatt503

Reaction score
This was posted in another thread that this is normal. If you're on WiFi, your data shouldn't be affected even though it appears to be. I don't remember the specifics but hopefully someone else will and chime in with an actual explanation.

tap'n on my S5
Cr6 is correct.... After the 4.4.4 update this is just one if those annoying things.
I can say with 100% certainty than If your on wifi they may both be lit up... But... Just wifi is being used... The way i tested this was by watching my data and you can always run a speed test and it will differentiate between the two...
Hope this helps ☺

Sent from my rooted galaxy s5 using Tapatalk pro

KyulJay

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy s5

The latest and greatest firmware for the Verizon Galaxy S5 is now rolling out! If you have not received the update yet you can head here to grab the update.zip. Normally I would suggest steering clear of the updates for anyone who is wishing to keep their device rooted, but Open1your1eyes0 has already confirmed a working root method for the new update.

1. Make sure you are on stock unrooted NE9 build (if not flash this NE9 firmware in ODIN)
  2. Take the NHA (Android 4.4.4) OTA and confirm all is working
  3. Flash the NCG kernel in ODIN: G900V NCG Stock Kernel.tar.md5 G900V NCG Stock Kernel.tar.md5 by muniz ri for Galaxy S4
  4. Root using Towelroot: towelroot by geohot
  5. Install/Open SuperSU and let it update the binary normally
  6. Flash the NHA kernel (I provided earlier) in ODIN: G900V NHA Stock Kernel.tar.md5 G900V NHA Stock Kernel.tar.md5 by Open1Your1Eyes0 for Galaxy S5
  7. Reboot and you should be all set
via XDA
But will this void your warranty because you are flashing firmware?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Rooting your device will ALWAYS void your warranty. This device doesn't really require root to make it better, so unless you intend to do something specific to your device that requires root (such as installing an ad-blocker or flashing a debloated deodexed rom) there's no need. That said, it easy super easy to return your device to stock after you've rooted it.
Just an fyi: the guide you copied isn't the latest root method so please make sure you read up on the process so you fully understand what you're doing.
BTW, welcome to the forum!

Kristen_2003

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G900V
What happens if I am on ANI2 for build number?
I am on 4.4.4 So which step do I need to do to root my s5? I got my samsung back in May.
Please help im new to rooting!

marlon61_2

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3 Verizon
So you did. Thanks for the info, the work, and the video. I'll report back on my results shortly.

EDIT:

OK. I did get this to work, but it was not quite as easy as advertised. The update of the kernel went reasonably well, but my phone immediately started complaining about various things -- kept getting "Unfortunately, HealthService has stopped" messages, as well as another service that had stopped that I can't recall. These messages popped up several times, making the phone fairly unusable until they stopped.

The next problem was that I was unable to download Towelroot on the phone. I don't know if this was due to some security software on the phone (Knox or something else), or some kind of "for your own good" feature in Chrome, or what, but what I observed when trying to download with Chrome is that the download seems to fail, whereupon another chrome tab is opened to try again. This repeats, over and over again, until there are more than 100 tabs open in about a minute and a half. The only way to stop it seems to be to restart the phone.

The way I solved this was to get the towelroot apk onto the phone by other means. I could have moved it over via USB debug mode or copied it from a network file share with an appropriate utility, or stuck it on a MicroSD card, or any number of other things, but what I did was to simply download it on my desktop and then to email it to myself. I then opened the email on the phone and saved to the download directory/folder. Once that was done, then I loaded the NCG kernel, waited for the "unfortunately"s to stop, and then installed and ran Towelroot. Then got SuperSU from the app store and installed and ran it and it did its thing, though it did report that it had to turn off Knox. But it managed to do so, and the phone at that point did seem to be rooted. Once I flashed the NHA Kernel again, the instabilities seemed to go away, and the phone is indeed rooted now.

So, in the end, I did get it to work, though it was touch & go for a bit there. But all's well that ends well, and this ended great. Thanks for the help.

marlon61_2

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3 Verizon
I tried to download towelroot today on my wife's S5 and had the same problem that BTP reported -- Chrome on the S5 keeps failing to download towelroot, opens a new tab, tries again and fails, opens a new tab, etc.

I solved this problem by using my laptop to put towelroot on my google drive and then simply downloaded it from my drive to her phone.

I wonder whether Google has modified Chrome to not let towelroot download. This is the only time I have ever had a problem downloading something. I'm 95% sure I had download from unknown sources checked but I am not positive.

There was a message that came up when I installed towelroot which said something like "Google advises against installing this software because it attempts to bypass Androids security features. Do you really want to do this?" It wasn't this exactly but that was the gist of the message. I do want a secure phone -- just a rooted one!

I found this curious so I thought I would put in my two cents.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I haven't heard anything about Google blocking Towelroot.

marlon61_2

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3 Verizon
I haven't heard anything about Google blocking Towelroot.

Fair enough. I just found it curious and it could be simply because of bug. I am not claiming that Google is blocking anything, but I did wonder....

However, my main point was that Chrome on Android 4.4.4 on an S5 does indeed have this problem.