How To Root Latest OTA 4.4.4 Verizon Galaxy S5

xmguy

Reaction score
If this roots that's all well and great. But does it trip Knox (0x0)? If so I would rather wait for a better root method. I'm on 4.4.2 and used TowelRoot.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
If this roots that's all well and great. But does it trip Knox (0x0)? If so I would rather wait for a better root method. I'm on 4.4.2 and used TowelRoot.
Does not trip knox

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm trying to find the 4.4.4 OTA zip for a member on our sister forum, but am not having any luck. Would you happen to have a link crazychris? Thanks!

tap'n

btp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5 (VZW) G900V
Ok, so now I am being offered another OTA update. Anybody else seeing this? I've been deferring it a day at a time, certainly don't want to go through this nonsense again after less than a week. Is this the same update or a different one, and if it's the same one, why is it trying to give it to me again?

btp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5 (VZW) G900V
It's not the same one, go ahead and take it. Running fine on my S5.

You're saying I won't lose root if I let this go? That seems... I dunno, unusual, to say the least. What do we know about this update?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
If you're already rooted than go into Titanium Backup and freeze SDM & FWUpgrade to keep from getting the OTA notifications.

btp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5 (VZW) G900V
If you're already rooted than go into Titanium Backup and freeze SDM & FWUpgrade to keep from getting the OTA notifications.
Yeah, that's what I did, but what I'm trying to figure out is exactly what update this is it's trying to send me. It looks like the one I already got, and I didn't think I had done anything during the rooting process that would convince my phone it no longer had the update I already installed. Yet that seems to be exactly what it's suggesting. I just wondered if there was another OTA update that went out close on the heels of the one we all just dealt with. Apparently not, though, huh? Which is ... weird. But yeah, I'll just freeze it to make it go away.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I returned to stock to get NHA but mine took the latest latest update which is NI2, so now I'm hesitant to reroot it since it's not on NHA. argh!

fyi....the NI2 update includes the new Advanced Calling feature Voice Over LTE.

btp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5 (VZW) G900V
Yeah I was just looking at mine, as I was about to follow this guide to root the latest version but it seems mine took the latest latest update which is NI2, so now I'm hesitant to go through with it since it's not on NHA. argh!
Ah, so there is a new update. Wow; that's pretty unusual that VZ issues two OTAs within a week of each other. This suggests there was something seriously wrong with NHA or they wouldn't have put out NI2 so soon, wouldn't you think?

I just did some web searching, and apparently, yes, NI2 is a new update, which includes supposedly a bunch of new features, except they look to be the same features that were advertised to be in NHA. So I'm at a loss. According to other sources, though, the NI2 update can be rooted the same was as NHA; that is, to flash the NCG firmware, then root, then reflash NI2. Don't know where you can download NI2, but presumably it's out there somewhere.

Personally, though, I'm suffering from Root Fatigue at the moment. Gonna Freeze out the NI2 update for now, maybe deal with it in a month or so if I feel so inclined.

Reactions: cr6