How to root in linux

draziok

Reaction score
I decided to ditch windows while my phone was out for repair. Now I have it back and it is rootless, and I can't figure out if it's possible to flash while using linux.

Is my best bet to reinstall windows? :(

Craiger22

Reaction score
I am not positive but I an fairly certain you could use Wine to do all the steps necessary to root.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
RSD Lite is a windows based program, so to get SPRecovery installed you do need to connect to somebody's windows computer that has rsdlite installed. After that you can use your Linux box to do the rest. Or, as suggested above, you can use Wine or a VM (virtual machine) that loads windows with rsdlite installed on that.

TekHawk

Reaction score
I am not positive but I an fairly certain you could use Wine to do all the steps necessary to root.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

from what I have seen there are a lot of guides out there for this but you have to use a VM to do it the no one has wrote one to set it up with wine and due to the drivers being windows drivers for the proper interface it might only work through VM or no one has bothered to take the time and jump through the hoops to try to do it on wine sadly I have a limited storage netbook as my linux unit at the moment and no space for a VM

How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid

that link as the step by step

OP
D

draziok

Reaction score
I have installed wine and went through the normal procedures but RSD Lite wouldn't list my phone.

I'm now installing windows using VirtualBox.

Thanks for the help =]

Eggos

Reaction score
I have installed wine and went through the normal procedures but RSD Lite wouldn't list my phone.

I'm now installing windows using VirtualBox.

Thanks for the help =]

I tried that using VM with an XP install. Attempted to install the Motorola drivers but got a ton of system errors. Tried putting them in manually with no luck. I ended up doing it on a spare vista machine I had instead.

Be sure to Let us know how if it works for you.

OP
D

draziok

Reaction score
Woohoo Success!

It took me a long time to figure out how to get usb access in VirtualBox but I got it! =]

Then my device finally showed up but it wouldn't flash the file.. looked for another copy, tried it, an it finally worked dancedroid