HOW TO ROOT Droid 2 - IN DEPTH TUTORIAL

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Im a bit confused. I rooted today and started the super user app. All I want to do is get rid of a few apps like Blockbuster and kindle. but when i go to the apps tab, there is nothing there, it just says no apps in list. I thought rooting enabled the removal of apps, along with all the custom ROM stuff.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The apps tab in super user shows the apps that super user has granted permissions to. If you want to remove stock apps the best way imo would gr to grab t titanium backup in the marketplace and use it to back them up before removing them or better yet get the paid version of titanium and use it to simply freeze them.

tappin and a talkin

MiltMiltLu

Reaction score
When using appbrain to download bootstrapper, is it 2 dollars? Is there a free version?

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
There was a free version on Koush's site, but the link is dead. In all honest, with as much as you will use the app, it's worth the $2. That and the amount of work/time Koush puts in for the community.

Brosiff

Reaction score
http://www.multiupload.com/QL0CLEHP7M

-Place these files somewhere on your SD card where you will be able to easily find them. I usually put them right on the root of the card, meaning the main folder.
-Once both files are on your SD card, pull down the Notification Bar and select Charge Only. This will eject the phones SD card from your PC so you could now view the contents of your card on your phone.
Step 1
Now that we have all of the necessary files we need, we could go ahead and begin rooting our D2.

-Go ahead and open up Astro on your Droid2 (You could download this from the Android Market, just search "Astro". It is used to view the contents on your SD card, kind of like a file manager where you could view, edit,delete, add or move all your files on your card). Once its open, navigate to the z4root file you added earlier. Click on it and select Open App Manager, and click Install. You should now have the z4root App installed!
-Open up the "z4root" App
-Click on the "Root" button.
-You will most likely be waiting for a few minutes. DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING. Let it do what it wants to do, and it should eventually REBOOT. When it boots back up, you should now have ROOT access. To make sure you have ROOT access, try the following:
-Check to see if the "Superuser" App is now in your Apps Menu
-Download Wireless Tether from the market, open it and see if it works.
-Open up the z4root App again and you should see this:
CAP2010122418321.jpg

This means you are now rooted. YAY!! That wasnt THAT hard was it? :)

Root Method #2
DOroot for Windows thanks darkonio =D
Download:
-http://www.kimete.com/droid/beta/DoRootWin_2.1.4.zip

Video Instructions: [video=youtube;B7RGVikpQ8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7RGVikpQ8o[/video]

1. Extract the folder from the DORoot zip file to your desktop. You should be moving 7 or 8 files into the tools folder.
2. Install Motorola Drivers
(Tip, to stop the launching of the Verizon/Motorola site, go to the MotoConnect icon in the bottom righ, right click, when phone connects, nothing.)
3. Make sure you phone is in PC Mode with USB Debugging enabled
PC Mode: Notification blind -> USB connection -> PC Mode
USB Debugging: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
You need USB debugging icon showing in notifications. Try Charge Only if you can't get PC Mode to show USB debugging.
4. Double-click and run doroot.bat
5. Let it run.
6. That's it, you are done.
Thanks again darkonion!

Recovery

Now what happens 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 2 months down the road when your phone does something bad and you dont know what to do?(VERY UNLIKELY). Well, this is why we downloaded the Bootstrapper App. Like I said, this App lets you boot into recovery to create backups, flash ROMS, etc. We want to create a backup so that if anything does happen, your phone will be in the state it is in as of RIGHT NOW, freshly rooted. If anything does happen, you follow the same steps below to get into Recovery, and select Recover instead of Backup.

-Open up ASTRO. Once its open, navigate to the bootstrap file you added earlier. Click on it and select Open App Manager, and click Install. You should now have the D2 Bootstrap App installed!
-Open up Droid 2 Bootstrapper
-Click "Bootstrap Recovery"
...it should say "Success"
-Now click Reboot "Recovery"
Your phone will now reboot into recovery. Dont freak out!
-**Use the VOLUME keys to go UP/DOWN and the CAMERA button to SELECT when in RECOVERY MODE!**
-Navigate to Backup/Recover
-Click on Create Backup
..let it run through completely. When it is done it should say Backup Complete at the bottom of the log.
-Select "Reboot Now"
Your phone will now reboot. Congrats, you just made your 1st backup! Your wondering, uh, why did I do this? Well, just incase like I said before, if anything goes wrong, you just reboot into Recovery and Recover this this backup we just made. I usually make backups everytime I flash a different ROM, just so Im always good. More on this later =D

What do you do now that your Rooted? Well...

Installing ROMS
A ROM is basically a file that overwrites your phones current ROM, and replaces it with the ROM your installing. There are different ROMS just like there are different themes; each developer of the ROMS have different things they include in each build, therefore changing the User Interface of each ROM. There is no right or wrong ROM...the Right ROM is the ROM you enjoy best. After messing around with different ROMS you will find your favorite =D. Lets try and flash/install a ROM. Im going to be using Squidley's newest ROM, as I feel it is the most stable and fastest yet. Thanks Squid!!

.....Im going to bed! IVe been up for 2 hours writing this tutorial and I am going to finish it sometime tomorow. I hope everyone enjoys it so far, and I hope it is helping people. Merry Christmas!

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

The Strokes

Reaction score
I have a question. Can I still update my phone and avoid be unrooted or problems? btw i tried to root my D2 with doroot and it would not work at all for me. I had to to do the z4root to get it done.

MotoDroidTwo

Reaction score
so you do the bootstrap thing after your root it? why wouldnt you root it before? these are just questions cuz i have no idea. thanks!

louy99

Reaction score
so you do the bootstrap thing after your root it? why wouldnt you root it before? these are just questions cuz i have no idea. thanks!

You will need the bootstrap after rooting for making a backup of your phone right away and or flashing roms.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

krpiper

Reaction score
Noob question but does this work with the Droid 2 Global as well?

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I like to know if this works with Droid2G. My OG replacement is a droid2G..:icon_eek:

Z4root works on d2g (its what i used), not sure about the other methods though.

Sent from my Fissioned D2G

well Z4root seems very simple :icon_ banana:

its one-click and wait, dont have to do anything else after you tell it to run unless it freezes (then battery pull and try again..... may take a few tries sometimes).