HOW TO ROOT Droid 2 - IN DEPTH TUTORIAL

Panamakevin

Reaction score
Ok, so i just did the root thingy... and it showed the program running the permanent root... but then it just loaded up my regular phone... Does this mean that it doesn't mess with anything other that root access? I was expecting all my data and apps to be wiped? Could it really be that easy and clean?

EDIT- Wow! I can't believe it was that easy, with the Droid 1 it took me like an hour to root it, of course, i rooted that right out of the box, i've had my D2 since it came out...

crazy206

Reaction score
If I root my droid 2 without using a computer will I lose all my files contacts and settings?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Panamakevin

Reaction score
I didn't loose anything when I rooted with Z4... my system looked the same as when it did unrooted! Only with the ability to really make some changes to it! But I would suggest noting what apps you want to make sure you keep just incase something goes wrong...

crazy206

Reaction score
After I rooted my droid the keyboard wouldn't light up... it is dark where I am so how do I fix that?

EDIT: nevermind I just put it in sleep and turned it on again....

pylopor

Reaction score
It froze, so I pulled out battery. Put it back in and loaded up (thank God) trying again, than going to do an unroot to make sure it is okay, than root it again. :)

louy99

Reaction score
I used z4 too and loving the root! Mine froze at first run too but I just tried it again and it took 3 minutes to root the phone. I was running 2.3.20 droid2

Blabomb

Reaction score
I have little to no knowledge of technology but I want to root my droid 2. Which method would be easiest for me?

louy99

Reaction score
Z4root. I have no knowledge of rooting ether. I googled z4root on my droid running 2.3.20 and downloaded the program on the phone. Hit the root button and poof....3 min. Later I was rooted and tethering wireless

louy99

Reaction score
I believe it was z4root1.3.0apk

Blabomb

Reaction score
I just rooted my phone with z4root. Thank you so much for help guys! :) BrutalDROID this is a FANTASTIC tutorial and I really appreciate it. I'll be waiting for you to finish up with flashing ROMS.
Cheers :)

SPeedYdr

Reaction score
1st method is ridiculous easy. For those complaining about not working the first time just restart your phone and that will do it. With my droid 2 Global running with soft. Ver. 2.4.330 worked within 1 minutes. Awesome :) thank you guys.

datsluke

Reaction score
i put z4root on my SD card but when I go to install it on my phone it fails to open... tried rooting the other way and none of the PCs in my house will allow me to unzip the files. Help :(

louy99

Reaction score
What z4root version did you download?