How to Root 2.1 OTA using Sbf & ADB

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by metiCkOne, May 21, 2010.

1. swish007

swish007 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow i'm impressed with the level of helpfulness on here.. just thought i'd post and say I got my droid rooted and everything went perfectly :) ..looking into putting on my first custom rom right now.

the only think i've been wondering (and i'm sure it's a noob question) but do most custom roms (i.e. cyanogen, the smoke one -forgot what its called-, etc.) make you lose all your data? i'm getting conflicting reports on this. the main thing I'm worried about is I have about a million books in my aldiko reader and i don't want to have to re-load them all (and lose my placeholders, etc) I'm downloading titanium backup right now and I'm hoping that will do what I need. is this my best option? thanks again

(btw i got rommanager and made a full backup too, but from what i understand that will just put things back to exactly the way they were before i installed the custom rom. I basically want to have my custom roms installed as well as all my apps and stuff like they were)

2. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go from say a stock rooted droid based on ESE81 to Cyanogenmod you should definitely wipe data. If they are the same base, for example a stock 2.1 to Petes Bugless Beast V1 you wont need to wipe data. It is recommended by just about everyone to wipe though. I wipe data and cache anytime I switch roms no matter what. Using Titanium is a great idea. So that I dont have problems, I use titanium backup to backup my apps and just my apps, then sms backup and restore to backup texts. I dont restore anything else. Most apps have a built in data backup anyway. Feedr is one that comes to mind.

3. ecsnead69

ecsnead69 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Your 2.1 root deodexed already has superuser loaded correct? I am looking for a deodexed rom, but the last one I loaded took away my permissions. Thanks...

4. wylhistory

wylhistory New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi:
    I am a newbie,I have a question about the file StockESE81.zip,which I downloaded follow your instructions:
    how to update the StockESE81.zip to my device?
    thanks in advacne,
    you are a kind person ;

5. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one in the post is a nandroid backup. You need to flash SPRecovery to use it. To do so download Rom Manager from the market and click "flash alternate recovery". It's on the bottom of the list on the main screen. From there just follow the instructions in the OP.

6. wylhistory

wylhistory New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I will try it,
    thanks very much!

7. coyotetech

coyotetech New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Is the ROM you posted 2.1 or 2.1-update1? My driod has update1 so if I were to just flash your ROM would I lose whatever is in update1?

Thanks for posting nice clear rooting instructions!

8. coyotetech

coyotetech New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just rooted my droid. Very cool! The only heart-stopping moment was during flashing SPRecovery (via RSD Lite) when the droid screen cleared and said: "hacking your phone - mbm"I assume that is an expected message? A quick Google search did not mention it at all. I'm surprised none of the forums note that you will see that scary message!

Search tags for this page

dmupater apk

hcrk root

how to install an sbf file adb

mooke samsung s5

root android 2.1 using sbf

sbf android 2.1

sbf droid adb

sdk android hack ota rom

su root access giver