1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How to Root 2.1 OTA using Sbf & ADB

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by metiCkOne, May 21, 2010.

1. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    Note: This is meant for 2.1 (Eclair). Some people say you can use this method to root 2.2 (Froyo), but your rom will be unusable if you do. I wouldn't recommend using this for anything but 2.1, I speak from experience

Hey guys, this is a write up I saved to my PC from Alldroid before it was shut down. I don't know who wrote it, so I can not give proper credit. If you are or know the author please let me know and I'll giver proper credit. This is how I've rooted my phone.

Edit: It was pointed out to me that some folks may misunderstand this thread. I want it to be clear that this is NOT the only way to root your phone. This just happens to be the way I prefer to do it, since I know what is going in to my phone's system. I have also uploaded two versions of my own pre-rooted roms in nandroid form. You can install them via SPRecovery. I'll attatch the link for those below.

Stock 2.1 ESE81 - root & busybox (no changes otherwise)
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Deodexed 2.1 ESE81 - root, busybox & deodexed (removed Google Maps and added newer version)
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Install SPrecovery:

Download and install RSDlite 4.6 from the web :
    RSDLite4.6.msi

Download and install motorola USB drivers 32 bit or 64 bit as applicable :
    USB_Drivers_32_bit_4.2.0.zip

USB_Drivers_64_bit_4.2.0.zip

Download [mbm]'s sbf file from Droidmod.org :
    SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf

Open RSDlite

navigate to the and select .sbf file you downloaded above.
    http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz48/radar3d/RSDlite/Rsdlite1.png

Power off your phone.

Slide keyboard open.

Connect USB cable between phone and computer.

Press up on D-Pad Normally your phone will turn on when you plug it in so you need to press up on D-Pad immediately, then if it did not come on, while holding up on the D-Pad Power up your phone.

In RSDlite you should now see your phone connected if not select “show device” .
    http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz48/radar3d/RSDlite/RSDlite2.png

Press “Start”

Your phone will reboot at about the 26% spot in the progression (this is normal for THIS .sbf)
    once your phone reboots you are done and you can close RSDlite even though it will warn you that you could ruin your phone.

You now have Sprecovery installed on your 2.1 phone.

---Next---

Rooting Phone:

Download:
    su

Superuser.apk

reboot phone into recovery mode by shutting down phone and then holding the “X” while powering phone up.

This should boot you into the Sprecovery (if not something went wrong with installing Sprecovery)

select “Mount Options”

Select “Mount /system”

then in a terminal window/command prompt from you PC use a couple of adb commands (assuming you have (Android SDK installed on your PC) if not Download it here:
    Android SDK | Android Developers

Do step 2 here:
    Installing the SDK | Android Developers

then:

In a terminal window (linux) Command prompt (windows)

Navigate to the folder you downloaded the two files into.

adb push su /system/bin/su

adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk

adb shell "/system/bin/chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"

adb shell "/system/bin/chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk"

reboot phone to normal mode, open terminal emulator if you have it installed if not get it from market then open terminal window and type su if you get a # you have successfully gained root "superuser" access to your phone.

Install Busybox
    by Root Your Droid on Jan.08, 2010, under Guides, Root
    Busybox is a useful tool; a package of applets which provides additional Unix tools that are otherwise missing from the Android shell. That may not make a lot of sense, but here’s what it does for you. Busybox allows you to perform more advanced root-related functions on your Droid. That’s good, right? Yes it is, and for some guides, it is absolutely necessary.
    As always, before you dive into any of our guides, please review our disclaimer. We are not responsible for the outcome of performing any task on this website.

Prerequisites: (Please be familiar with the following)
    • Android Debug Bridge (ADB Commands)
    • Unix Commands
    • USB Debugging
    • USB Debugging Drivers
    Requirements:
    • Root
    • Micro SD Card that is inserted into the Droid
    • busybox.zip
    • USB Data Cable
    Step 1: PC Connection
    Using the method found in the USB Debugging guide, connect your Droid to a PC via USB and enable USB Debugging.
    Note:(radar3d recommends again booting into recovery and mounting /system as done above)

Step 2: Prepare Busybox Files

Download busybox

Step 3: ADB Commands
    Using the method found in the Android Debug Bridge guide, open Command Prompt and point it at your Android SDK tools folder. You will now be entering in the following commands, please read and copy all lines carefully. If you will be copying and pasting, remember to right click inside of Command Prompt and select “paste”, otherwise it will display your keystrokes. After each line, press enter to input the command.
    Note:(radar3d recommends again booting into recovery and mounting /system as done above)
    In a terminal window (linux) Command prompt (windows)
    Navigate to the folder you downloaded the busybox file into

adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
    • Copies the busybox.zip file from your tools folder into the Local Data directory on your Droid.

Reboot phone into normal mode and open terminal emulator
    • Initiate the Unix terminal emulator so that Unix commands may be sent.
    su
    • Connect as a “substitute user” to gain permissions for the following commands.
    cd /data/local
    • Change to the Local Data directory on your Droid.
    /system/bin/chmod 755 busybox
    • Changes the permissions to the busybox file so that anyone can read/execute but only the owner can write to it.
    ./busybox
    • Executes the Busybox shell script.
    /system/bin/mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    • Readies the mtdblock4 and System filesystems.
    mkdir /system/xbin
    • Creates a new directory called “xbin” in the system filesystem.
    /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin
    • Copies Busybox from the Local Data directory to the newly created xbin directory.
    /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/bin
    • Copies Busybox from the Local Data directory to the System Bin directory.
    cd /system/xbin
    • Change to the newly created xbin directory on your Droid.
    busybox ––install .
    (Note: you need the . And there needs to be a space between “install” and the “.”)
    • Installs and executes Busybox in xbin.
    /system/bin/mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    • Unmounts the mtdblock4 and System filesystems that are no longer in use.
    sync
    • Synchronizes all the aforementioned commands to the Droid.
    reboot
    • Reboots the Droid
    You have now successfully installed Busybox and can now utilize its functionality in future hacks!

Unix Commands
    by Root Your Droid on Jan.08, 2010, under Background Information, Guides
    While working with a Rooted Droid and ADB, you will notice that there is an extensive use of code. Much of this code may be unfamiliar to you, but it shouldn’t be scary.
    When you see lines such as:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    sync
    You may feel like you are in over your head. But it’s a lot simpler than it looks!What you see above is called Unix commands. These commands are recognized by the base Linux kernel which controls the Android OS. Linux is an open source computer operating system; Google uses it to create Android. So these Unix commands are similar to the Windows Command Prompt commands we learned about in the Android Debug Bridge guide except they are used for different systems.
    When using Unix commands in future guides, it is important to read through them carefully and copy them exactly. Though a mistake will most likely return an error message and cause no harm, it is possible to miss a character and do some damage. Caution and deliberation is key! Here are a few common Unix commands used for Droid modding purposes. These certainly aren’t all of them, and all commands will be described within individual guides.
    • su – (Substitute User) Used to change to “root user” to perform Superuser Permission commands.
    • mount – Readies a file system for use; allows the user to perform commands to a directory.
    • cd – (Change Directory) Changes to the proceeding directory.
    • chmod – (Change Mode) Changes the mode of files and directories; commonly used to change permissions.
    • mkdir – (Make Directory) Makes a new directory for files.
    • mv – (Move) Moves a file or directory from one place to another.
    • sync – Synchronizes all data which has been scheduled for writing.
    As I’ve stated, there are many more commands which may be used while sending commands to your phone. Don’t fret; they will be described fully as you go along.
    One important consideration to make is that after EACH line of Unix commands, you must hit enter to run the command before going on to the next line. You may not copy and paste multiple lines into Command Prompt at once.
    I bet you’d never guessed you would be learning a new programming language while working on your Droid! Though you are far from mastering the Unix system, I hope this has familiarized you with some of the necessary commands needed for advanced root-related functions.
  2. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood New Member

once we flash sprecovery can we use dmupater to root instead of using the adb commands
  3. metiCkOne

As far as I know, DMUpdater only roots 2.0.1
  4. metiCkOne

5. droidweb

droidweb New Member

Is there a way to root 2.1 without rdslite? Also, will I have to reactivate my phone?
  6. metiCkOne

What rom do you have? Is it stock 2.1 without root?
  7. droidweb

droidweb New Member

I'm stock 2.1. I had DroidMod 2.0.1, but unrooted to get 2.1. Now I want to root again, so I can cure my theming itch.
  8. metiCkOne

Well, you're gonna have to re flash your recovery, but you dont have to do all the adb stuff. I've done that already. Flashing the recovery takes like 30 seconds, literally. Once you do that you can boot into sprecovery and flash the stock 2.1 backup I posted. You shouldn't have to reactivate, since you already have the new baseband. Are you running windows, linux or mac osx?
  9. droidweb

droidweb New Member

I'm running Mac OSX.
    And awww. I like poking around with adb (Call me crazy)
  10. metiCkOne

haha, agreed. It's good to learn. Well there are some tutorials to run these programs on mac. I think it's called vmware or something. Sounds like you are already familiar with running these programs on mac. Let me know how this goes for you, if you get stuck at any point let me know and I'll help.
  11. droidweb

droidweb New Member

Oh dear... I just deleted my VMware Fusion XP Virtual Machine... I was hoping there would be a way of flashing the recovery without rdslite... I had a G1 and it was always just an issue of moving the files to the proper places on the sd card, adb -d recovery, and navigating the recovery menu... oh well
  12. swish007

swish007 New Member

so I'm a rooting noob and i'm doing a lot of research about the best and simplest way to root a droid with stock 2.1. (as a side note it's been incredibly frustrating finding actual helpful info about how to do this for a non-programmer-type like myself) I was able to follow everything fine till i got to this step

"then in a terminal window/command prompt from you PC use a couple of adb commands (assuming you have (Android SDK installed on your PC) if not Download it here:"

i didn't have the android sdk and i'm not a programmer so I spent all night trying to install eclipse and the android sdk tools and was never able to get it working :/

SO i saw metiCkOne had posted the backup files that should let me skip all that, but will doing that wipe out any of my personal/app data? this is what I'm most concerned about.
  13. metiCkOne

No, it won't wipe your data, you can apply those backups and will have all your info still.
  14. metiCkOne

I had a lot of trouble getting the sdk set up at first too. You should set it up if you plan on modding your phone a lot. I'll help you with that if you want. It's not as complicated as people make it seem. However, it is tricky.
  15. christim

christim Super Moderator

If you're not planning on doing tons of modding and customizing and just want to start slow then adb and the sdk are not needed at all. I keep seeing instructions saying it is needed to root. It's not. For me it appears to just add extra steps that confuse new folks.

RSD lite is needed no matter what. Install RSD Lite and then flash SPRecovery with RSD Lite. 2 steps and you have the recovery app installed that lets you install most roms, including one that is the stock ese81 rom that Pete built. You download 4 files and you're done.

RSD Lite install file
    Driver install file for win32 or win64 systems
    SBF file for SPRecovery
    Rom of your choice.

Read the install instructions for the various roms to see what comes with each one and what each one looks like.
  16. metiCkOne

These instructions are not saying ADB is needed to root. The post clearly says "How to root 2.1 OTA using Sbf & ADB. No where in the OP does it say it is the only method.
  17. christim

christim Super Moderator

Agreed. I wasn't saying the OP was wrong nor that the thread title says ADB is required. A new person looking to root 2.1 who sees the thread might assume it is though. I guess I was questioning the need for using ADB to root, but the first post does exactly what the title says...shows how to root using ADB.

I may be mistaken, because I do not use the SDK nor ADB but the only thing it is essential for is the pushing of files that are in memory and in use by the operating system that you don't want to just overwrite when they might be in use.

On the other hand, RSD Lite is a requirement to root a stock 2.1 phone. It will be common to all root guides until some other tool comes along.

I don't want to hijack your thread either and get off topic...bowing out:)
  18. metiCkOne

Appreciated, I will edit the OP so some people do not misunderstand. Thank you for pointing that out.
  19. swish007

swish007 New Member

excellent that's what I was hoping to hear, thanks a bunch :)

About halfway through I was like "I bet I don't need to do all this just to get su access" so I went to bed. I consider myself a reasonably tech -savvy person but that was giving me trouble.. and it didn't help that I'm new to rooting so until recently I thought it was easy to brick your phone doing it. I'm happy to get some responses as fast as I did here as well (without any noob-heckling either :) so thanks again
  20. phatkat66

phatkat66 New Member

UGHHHH can someone help me out, im on the steps for flashing the SBF but i keep getting a "FAIL" in RSDLITE, its as if the phone itself is disconnected when its in the middle of the process I have no idea what to do and other places i looked to for help cant seem to figure it out either =(

I want to go back to root on this damn thing >_<
Search tags for this page

dmupater apk

how to install an sbf file adb

root android 2.1 using sbf

sbf android 2.1

sbf droid adb