[How To] Return your Galaxy Nexus to 100% Stock, Locked Bootloader

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It probably doesn't work for the bootloader - the bootloader uses Fastboot, not ADB. I've never used ADB over Wifi, but that's probably a pretty safe bet.

djdanko1

Reaction score
I am running into a problem and I have been trying for a few hours to get past it with no luck. I rooted and unlocked my phone with my MAC, but want to revert it to stock using my PC because my mac is not with me. (not sure if this makes a difference or not) My device shows up in adb and reboots it into bootloader but once I try the second step it just says waiting for device and never gets past that. What can I do to fix this? I have to send this phone back in a few days so I want to make it stock before then. Thanks

citronbull

Reaction score
Should be able to go back to 4.0.2 then take the update

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

I'm on 4.0.4 now. How do I go back to 4.0.2? I want to relock back to stock and unlock again so I can root properly. CWM keeps giving me an error.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I'm on 4.0.4 now. How do I go back to 4.0.2? I want to relock back to stock and unlock again so I can root properly. CWM keeps giving me an error.

When you say CWM is giving you an error, what error is it giving you?

You don't need to go back to 4.0.2 to root. You will be adding unnecessary steps to your process.

What is your end result you are trying to achieve? Stock 4.0.4 with root? JellyBean? Custom ROM? I ask only cause, my recommendation for each one will be a little different.

citronbull

Reaction score
The error I'm getting is a blue triangle on chest when I try Recovery Mode. I am now rooted on ICS and want to go to flash a JB custom ROM.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
The error I'm getting is a blue triangle on chest when I try Recovery Mode. I am now rooted on ICS and want to go to flash a JB custom ROM.

That I believe is the stock recovery, you probably didn't flash the recovery to be permanent (by moving/deleting/renaming /system/recover-from-boot.p ). If you don't do that, the stock recovery will come back every time you boot into a ROM that has that file available (basically stock one).

You don't really have to worry about "permanent recovery" if you do it like this:

0 - Unlock if you haven't done so already, I am assuming you already have though.
1 - Download said ROM and other necessary files (Gapps for example) and put them on the sdcard somewhere you can find them (I make a folder to reduce clutter, but it doesn't matter).
2 - Reboot into the bootloader and use fastboot to install the custom recovery to the device.
3 - From the bootloader, select reboot recovery.
4 - Make a backup in the recovery.
5 - Follow the instructions of the ROM install (probably something along the lines of wipe, install ROM, install Gapps, reboot).

I can go into more detail if necessary, but perhaps starting a new thread would be ideal for that as we are getting kinda off topic here.

citronbull

Reaction score
When I get to recovery mode, I get the red triangle on the chest of Android. I have to do a battery pull after that. Im unable to flash or do a backup.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
When I get to recovery mode, I get the red triangle on the chest of Android. I have to do a battery pull after that. Im unable to flash or do a backup.

That still is the stock recovery, as I mentioned in my previous post. A droid laying down on his back with a triangle with an exclamation point in it. I believe if you press both volume buttons (up and down) you go into the stock recovery, but this isn't helpful to you. Although you should be able to reboot it from there without having to pull the battery. But stock recovery doesn't have the ability to make backups, or flash custom files.

You need to reflash the custom recovery via fastboot again. Either something went wrong or the file I mentioned in my previous post restored the original recovery again. What guide are you using? Are you unlocked yet (on the bootlogo screen with the white Google, is there a lock)?

Also, since this thread is for how to return your device to 100% stock and locked bootloader, and that is exactly the opposite of what you are trying to achieve, perhaps starting a new thread would be ideal. Kinda silly to keep going further and further off topic in this thread.

citronbull

Reaction score
I am rooted and unlocked. How do I reflash the custom recovery? I used the Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit the first time.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
You can use the toolkit again to flash it, on the pictures I saw an option for "permanent CWM" which is what you want. Really I have 0 experience with the "one click" methods.

Otherwise you can do it manually. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...kmod-recovery-cdma-edition-final-version.html <-- like that (watch the video). I would download a more recent recovery than that one though. CWM6 or TWRP would be my recommendations as some folks seem convinced older versions of CWM and JB don't get along.

I don't use ROM manager, but if you are rooted, you may be able to use ROM Manager to flash CWM permanently.

Once again, you should really start a new thread for your situation. This thread is about locking your bootloader and going back to stock.

DJNight

Reaction score
Not sure if I am missing something, but where is the script that is mentioned in the "below the asterisks" section of the OP? I downloaded the 4.0.2 file mentioned but there was no batch file or anything in it. I need to go back to factory due to the phone shutting off and not restarting for hours or a day+ no matter what power source I use.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
There's a link at the bottom. But I tried to download it to my phone but was unsuccessful. Don't know if it was the link or my connection with hat was the problem. You can also use fastboot or one of the toolkits that are out there.

Tapped from a Nexus