[How To] Return your Galaxy Nexus to 100% Stock, Locked Bootloader

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, I ended up using the adb-windows folder in the zip that the OP suggested, since I didn't know for sure which SDK folder was correct.

sorry... was absent for a bit (and will be more tonight)... yeah that folder has been a lifesaver - MUCH easier than messing with the sdk for the average user that just needs it for this stuff

1FZFE

Reaction score
Thanks for posting it. It worked like a charm. Now I just need to make it back to the store for a replacement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
This assumes that, since you've unlocked and rooted, you have fastboot/adb installed... if not, download this zip, extract it, and use it as your adb/fastboot "tools" directory.

I am unlocked and rooted but how do I know if I have fastboot/adb installed? If not and I extract the zip, where does the "tools" directory go? Is it another drop it in to C: like the root folder was in Sbenson's root/unlock write up? I don't need this yet but I'm trying to understand everything in case I do! Thanks

1FZFE

Reaction score
This assumes that, since you've unlocked and rooted, you have fastboot/adb installed... if not, download this zip, extract it, and use it as your adb/fastboot "tools" directory.

I am unlocked and rooted but how do I know if I have fastboot/adb installed? If not and I extract the zip, where does the "tools" directory go? Is it another drop it in to C: like the root folder was in Sbenson's root/unlock write up? I don't need this yet but I'm trying to understand everything in case I do! Thanks

It doesn't matter where you put the folder as long as you direct the command prompt there. I have it on my desktop.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It doesn't matter where you put the folder as long as you direct the command prompt there. I have it on my desktop.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

So is this fastboot/adb in that root folder from the rooting process? I'm not sure if I do have this or where to get it from? Thanks again!

*edit, looked in that root folder and saw the adb and fastboot exe's so that's it! Open the command prompt from that folder and good to go!

Last edited:
OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So is this fastboot/adb in that root folder from the rooting process? I'm not sure if I do have this or where to get it from? Thanks again!

*edit, looked in that root folder and saw the adb and fastboot exe's so that's it! Open the command prompt from that folder and good to go!

glad you got it!

just to simplify, I just updated the OP with a "one stop" file that has everything you need... run the commands from a command prompt in that directory and you're good to go... I'm also working on a very simple batch file that, at the very least, runs the commands for you...

cainman2

Reaction score
I am following directions on a GNex that gets stuck at Google logo.
But after fastboot bootloader line I get <waiting for device> and nothing happens either in command prompt or on my phone.

Does it take a long time or what's going on?

hookerdj

Reaction score
mine did that also did you install the right pdanet drivers correctly and then when it says you already have one i forget what option but after you hit ok you have to hit a android samsung phone and do all that before you do what you are trying

I am following directions on a GNex that gets stuck at Google logo.
But after fastboot bootloader line I get <waiting for device> and nothing happens either in command prompt or on my phone.

Does it take a long time or what's going on?

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
secure element not responding message came after installing theory rom zygote 1.9....because jd kernel broke nfc and I tried to initialize gwallet. Restoring a nandroid has not worked. In a last ditch effort to see if I can get it working w/o returning/exhanging the phone (for the 4th nexus now), Im tryinng to restore the stock images and start over.

Im having a problem getting adb to find my phone though. Ive installed the samsung drivers...installed pda net before when I rooted..and again after I flashed zygote.

still cant get my phone to be found.

any suggestions.

I can still do this but Im having to manually boot into fastboot each time. Kinda tedious

Last edited:

mrZoSo

Reaction score
Here's a modified script that will allow you to choose between 4.0.1 and 4.0.2. (as long as you have either image or both) It also has the option to re-lock the bootloader, without the need to have the full Android SDK on your system.
I'll also update it when the official 4.0.3 images are released.
I don't take no credit for what was already done, I just modified it ;)

gnexrestore.jpg

Prerequisites:
--------------
Windows PC running XP, Vista, or Windows 7
USB and ADB drivers must be installed and working properly.
Google Images (You only need the one you want to flash to, having both is optional):
4.0.1 - https://dl.google.com/android/aosp/mysid-itl41d-factory-516b56c2.tgz
4.0.2 - https://dl.google.com/android/aosp/mysid-icl53f-factory-65895fa8.tgz

Instructions:
==========
1- Extract folder with contents of this package.
2- You will need the Google Factory image for the version you want to restore, or both if you want.
3- Extract the image files to the same folder in step one. Image files should not be in a seperate folder!
So you should have, in one folder, the above files contained in this package plus:

image-mysid-xxxxxx.zip (xxxxxx= pertains to what version)
radio-tor-i515.xxxx.img
radio-cdma-tor-i515.xxxx.img
flash-all.sh
bootloader-tor-primexxxx.img

4- Enable USB debugging in Developer options on phone.
5- Dbl click on GNexRestore.bat and follow the prompts.

Optional:
---------
If you do have the Android SDK installed, just copy the image files and GNexRestore.bat to the platform-tools folder.
fastboot.exe will also be needed, if you don't have it already, just copy the one in this package to the same location.
Then run GNexRestore.bat

Download:
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Last edited:

1FZFE

Reaction score
secure element not responding message came after installing theory rom zygote 1.9....because jd kernel broke nfc and I tried to initialize gwallet. Restoring a nandroid has not worked. In a last ditch effort to see if I can get it working w/o returning/exhanging the phone (for the 4th nexus now), Im tryinng to restore the stock images and start over.

Im having a problem getting adb to find my phone though. Ive installed the samsung drivers...installed pda net before when I rooted..and again after I flashed zygote.

still cant get my phone to be found.

any suggestions.

I can still do this but Im having to manually boot into fastboot each time. Kinda tedious

I uninstalled all drivers from my computer and used the "naked" Samsung 1.7 driver found over on xda. No need for PDA net or anything else. Worked for my machine where I'm just using this fastboot folder as well as the one with sdk / jdk installed. After installing you may have to manually update the driver in device manager. It will complain about it not being signed. ADB and fastboot recognize the device. The drivers have by far been the biggest pain when messing with this phone.

Sent from my Nook Color using Tapatalk

sefirosu0522

Reaction score
Hey guys could someone point me in the right direction? I'm not sure what adb is or how to use it. I'd like to know how to be able to flash back to 100% stock. I see the directions, I just dont know what adb is.

otter34

Reaction score
I've screwed my phone up pretty good, but since I can still mount I am hoping I can return to stock. I see the files adb, adbwinapi.dll, adbwinusbapi.dll, bootloader-toro-primekk15, fastboot, flash-all.sh, image-mysid-icl53f, radio-cdma-toro-i515-ek.o5, radio-toro-i515.eko2

When you say adb reboot bootloader do you mean to double click it? Same w/when you say "fastboot (x,y,z....)" Just double click?

Sorry I did't read the threads. I spent 2 weeks unlocking and dealing w/ driver issues and now my phone is screwed up and I am hoping I can get back to stock so I can do it all over again :-(. Spent 5 hours on this now and am too tired to read the posts and I apologize if the question has been asked before