How to return broken rooted Droid?

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
A couple of days ago while I was using my navigation program, the screen on my Droid went black after a couple minutes of driving. When I rebooted my phone (taking battery out and reboot), I could hear the sounds of it rebooting (loud DROID! sound) and the keyboard and softkeys lit up but not the phone. Also if I pressed the screen, I would feel the vibrate from the lock although the screen was still off.

After taking out my battery and just leaving my phone on my desk for about a day, I tried to see if my phone would work. I put in the charger and the light flickered on but I don't believe the phone booted up this time.

Today I went to the Verizon store and the representative told me that they would have to send me a new phone and I would take my broken Droid and put it in a box to send back. The problem is that it is already rooted and has Clockwork recovery and Koush rom on it. I was looking at the SBF but since my Droid doesn't seem to turn on, there is no way (at least I don't think) for me to unroot it. What can I do? I don't want to have any drama when returning my phone since it was a hardware problem that I've seen happen to unrooted Droids.

Guchi

Reaction score
From what I heard you should be ok if the phone doesn't boot. I also understand that the most you will be charged for a "like new" phone is $50 as long as you return the old one. I am not 100% on that info but it seems to be the case

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
your root files are on your sdcard. you can make a copy and put it on your computer, then reformat the sdcard. Before you send it back did you try to get into the bootloader and use rsdlite.

OP
J

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
your root files are on your sdcard. you can make a copy and put it on your computer, then reformat the sdcard. Before you send it back did you try to get into the bootloader and use rsdlite.
Yes, I installed everything needed for the rsdlite but unfortunately I just can't seem to get to the bootloader program. I followed the instructions that said to hold up while my phone is booting and although it has worked for me in the past, nothing happens now when I do it.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Make sure that you press up on the D-Pad BEFORE you press the power button. Hold the d-pad down, then power it up, and continue to hold it down.

OP
J

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
Make sure that you press up on the D-Pad BEFORE you press the power button. Hold the d-pad down, then power it up, and continue to hold it down.
Tried that but to no avail. My replacement Droid comes in tomorrow and since my phone doesn't even seem to boot up I think I'll just return it as is. Thank you everyone for all the help.