How to return a water damaged droid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.nemo

Reaction score
Ok so when I was changing my Droid fell out of my pocket and into the toilet. I got it out pretty fast but it was still on and working so I was stupid and just lightly dried it off and finished changing. It turned off and I took the battery out and tried drying it as best possible and left it out for a few hours before trying to turn it on again. I managed to get it to turn on for a few minutes once but after that it wont turn on at all.

It's within 30 days, but I don't have insurance. Also, the water activator sticker is red, but the one on the battery is...pinkish. I'll have to compare it to my mom's Droid to see what the one on the battery usually looks like.

So, what should I do?

Half-Asleep

Reaction score
break it in pieces and say you lost the battery down the storm drain,say your sweat from you fingers touched teh water sticker and turned it red when you were looking picking up the pieces..

xRITE AIDEx

Reaction score
break it in pieces and say you lost the battery down the storm drain,say your sweat from you fingers touched teh water sticker and turned it red when you were looking picking up the pieces..

Why say this to a newbie to the forums

Welcome by the way :icon_ banana:

But I wouldnt know I hope to take care of mine as best as possible but with my previous phones I know that if you try to play dumb with them you do fine, that is if the red markers arent badly damaged.(I still havent been able to open my battery back, havent touched it since I cant open it) had the phone for over a month lol

EDIT: Reread the OP, you not having insurance really doesnt help, but try and sweet talk them into letting you return it? I hope you liekd the phone though. Also try the rice trick before taking it back, it has worked for me back in previous phones.

Half-Asleep

Reaction score
well honestly,why would someone buy a 500$ phone with no insurance? I go through at least 3 phones a year just by breaking them(dropping them)

To the OP

Like he said,try the rice trick.

Snaekster

Reaction score
No one (even remotely adept at their job) is going to let you return a water damaged phone. Period. Sorry u effed your phone up, but gettin a brand new droid out of this deal is out of the question. There is a legal alternative however...

Hopefully you are still within your first thirty days as you say, because Verizon Wireless WILL let you add insurance within that time period. It's 6 bucks a month and an $89 deductable, and the insurance company mails you a new phone, so there is really no reason to go to a store at all as they will not offer you an insurance replacement handset. As a side note, you will recieve a reconditioned/refurbished droid from insurance, and they will want your damaged phone in return so they can recondition that and pass it off to the next unlucky customer....

The long and short of it is this:
1. have the account holder add insurance to your account
2. wait (I say this because insurance companies are not filled with retards and would love to diagnose your claim as fradulent; so go phoneless for a week so your claim does not appear suspicious)
3. File your claim by calling the insurance company (i would give u a number to call but the insurer VZW contracts differs depending on location; in the NE we use ASURION, other areas use LOCKLINE, check with your local VZW service reps, they should be able to provide you with the correct info)
4. Wait a day, get the new phone in the mail, and follow the activation instructions that are included in the box.
5. Mail your wet phone back to the insurer.

Thats it. You'll have a working droid (though not a brand-spankin new one), and you will save yourself about $450 versus the retail on a droid.

And, if you are past your thirty days and cannot get insurance added to your phone, I suggest you try to find a supermodel and a retarded VZW customer service rep that you can lull into a chubby-induced coma to the point they forget to check the back of your phone before you leave the store with your new droid. Then again, if you know any supermodels, just have her buy you a new one, you know she's not spendin that money on food.

I hope this helps out bud.
Snaekster

texasPI

Reaction score
No one (even remotely adept at their job) is going to let you return a water damaged phone. Period. Sorry u effed your phone up, but gettin a brand new droid out of this deal is out of the question. There is a legal alternative however...

Hopefully you are still within your first thirty days as you say, because Verizon Wireless WILL let you add insurance within that time period. It's 6 bucks a month and an $89 deductable, and the insurance company mails you a new phone, so there is really no reason to go to a store at all as they will not offer you an insurance replacement handset. As a side note, you will recieve a reconditioned/refurbished droid from insurance, and they will want your damaged phone in return so they can recondition that and pass it off to the next unlucky customer....

2. wait (I say this because insurance companies are not filled with retards and would love to diagnose your claim as fradulent; so go phoneless for a week so your claim does not appear suspicious)
3. File your claim by calling the insurance company (i would give u a number to call but the insurer VZW contracts differs depending on location; in the NE we use ASURION, other areas use LOCKLINE, check with your local VZW service reps, they should be able to provide you with the correct info)
4. Wait a day, get the new phone in the mail, and follow the activation instructions that are included in the box.

Thats it. You'll have a working droid (though not a brand-spankin new one), and you will save yourself about $450 versus the retail on a droid.

And, if you are past your thirty days and cannot get insurance added to your phone, I suggest you try to find a supermodel and a retarded VZW customer service rep that you can lull into a chubby-induced coma to the point they forget to check the back of your phone before you leave the store with your new droid. Then again, if you know any supermodels, just have her buy you a new one, you know she's not spendin that money on food.

Snaekster

How is this legal? Oh right, its not! It sucks what happened to the OP but sometimes in life we all have to pay the "stupid tax". This is one such instance...

Half-Asleep

Reaction score

2. wait (I say this because insurance companies are not filled with [Edited by FoxKat for content] and would love to diagnose your claim as fradulent; so go phoneless for a week so your claim does not appear suspicious)

And, if you are past your thirty days and cannot get insurance added to your phone, I suggest you try to find a supermodel and a [Edited by FoxKat for content] VZW customer service rep that you can lull into a chubby-induced coma to the point they forget to check the back of your phone before you leave the store with your new droid. Then again, if you know any supermodels, just have her buy you a new one, you know she's not spendin that money on food.

Snaekster

Strong 1st Post

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaekster

Reaction score
Half-Asleep:
Thanks man. Been on these forums for a while, thought I'd finally contribute something of worth rather than absorbing...

texasPI:
"How is this legal? Oh right, its not! It sucks what happened to the OP but sometimes in life we all have to pay the "stupid tax". This is one such instance... "

You're heartless bud, LOL. This is legal because it clearly states on the cover of every phone protection brochure that insurance can be added to any number within thirty days. Exploiting a loophole does not make it illegal, it makes you intelligent, savvy at least.

Good luck .nemo,

Good night all,
Snaekster

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Its actually the first 15 days after activation...

Snaekster

Reaction score
VZW's unofficial policy may be 15 days, I'd have to look into a "Terms and Agreements" brochure to verify that. The fifteen day thing has been customer service dogma for a while, though it's not entirely accurate. ASURION's brochures clearly say 30 days on the COVER OF THE BROCHURE.

If a VZW rep will not add insurance because of this antiquated 15 day B.S., get an insurance brochure (available at any VZW Corporate store or Authorized Retailer) and call the insurer to add insurance directly. THIS IS IMPORTANT: They will need to verify that your phone is in workin order prior to adding this feature to your account, so idealistically; .nemo, you're mother's droid battery will power on your phone, and by this time you will have dried it out with the suggested rice trick or the myriad of other alternatives that are available for quickly drying out your phone. If you can recieve a call with the phone (even via headset if your touchscreen is not loading/responding), then they will insure your phone. Period.

r-dubya

Reaction score

2. wait (I say this because insurance companies are not filled with [Edited by FoxKat for content] and would love to diagnose your claim as fradulent; so go phoneless for a week so your claim does not appear suspicious)

And, if you are past your thirty days and cannot get insurance added to your phone, I suggest you try to find a supermodel and a [Edited by FoxKat for content] VZW customer service rep that you can lull into a chubby-induced coma to the point they forget to check the back of your phone before you leave the store with your new droid. Then again, if you know any supermodels, just have her buy you a new one, you know she's not spendin that money on food.

Snaekster

How is this legal? Oh right, its not! It sucks what happened to the OP but sometimes in life we all have to pay the "stupid tax". This is one such instance...

There have been NUMEROUS threads closed because as*es like you want to debate the legality of insurance claims. It you were to really stretch out this insurance thing, then talking about legality of insurance claims would constitute discussing politics, which is STRICTLY prohibited on these forums. Users that do so receive a temporary ban.

So how bout you NOT be an a** to Snaekster, and just say... "good info, and OP next time, get insurance".

Besides, insurance companies make a KILLING, fraudulent claims and all, so lets just drop it.

Snaekster, perhaps "legal alternative" wasn't the best choice of words... maybe "slightly shady but *shouldn't* land you in jail alternative"?

Last edited by a moderator:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
VZW's unofficial policy may be 15 days, I'd have to look into a "Terms and Agreements" brochure to verify that. The fifteen day thing has been customer service dogma for a while, though it's not entirely accurate. ASURION's brochures clearly say 30 days on the COVER OF THE BROCHURE.

If a VZW rep will not add insurance because of this antiquated 15 day B.S., get an insurance brochure (available at any VZW Corporate store or Authorized Retailer) and call the insurer to add insurance directly. THIS IS IMPORTANT: They will need to verify that your phone is in workin order prior to adding this feature to your account, so idealistically; .nemo, you're mother's droid battery will power on your phone, and by this time you will have dried it out with the suggested rice trick or the myriad of other alternatives that are available for quickly drying out your phone. If you can recieve a call with the phone (even via headset if your touchscreen is not loading/responding), then they will insure your phone. Period.

Allow me to upload a copy of the brochure from Asurion's website.

Its an Asurion brochure. I will let you browse it, and then you can tell me that its thirty days, ok?

Honestly....always be prepared to back your bluff on a forum, or don't bother.

Attachments

• 525-AS09006_ALL_brochure.pdf
    725.6 KB · Views: 324

Snaekster

Reaction score
Thats the old brochure adrenalyne. A new one came out this month. I know it says thirty days on it because I saw it at work today. I then relayed that fact to a customer. The event was encoded into my memory. Perhaps they have not yet uploaded it online for your trolling pleasure?

I love you,
Snaekster

Status
Not open for further replies.