[How TO] Restore VZW Galaxy Tab to stock DJ11

Discussion in 'Samsung Tablet Discussions' started by mike919, Jan 5, 2011.

1. steveo11284

steveo11284 New Member

Sounds strange. Did you do a factory reset from the recovery after following the instructions?
  2. chisox

chisox New Member

I have tried doing it two ways.

First attempt: Tried to activate the restore from within Android. Privacy -> Factory Reset. The Tab restarts and goes into Recovery. I scroll down and choose "clear data/factory reset" and "clear cache". Then I restart it. The Tab restarts and takes forever to boot. It boots up and makes me go through the inital setup but all of my old programs and google account are still there. Anything I do on the tab at this point causes a force close.

I then followed this guide step by step and with the same result. It will restart when it finishes but still have all my data on it.. I don't know whats going on..
  3. steveo11284

steveo11284 New Member

These apps that you say keep coming back, do they happen to be installed on your SD card? If you remove your SD card do they go away?
  4. chisox

chisox New Member

They aren't on the SD card.

I just did it two more times. Flashed stock firmware from computer to Tab using heimdall with the SD card installed and not installed when doing the flash and initial boot.

Doing it either way results in the same thing. It goes back to an image that looks to have been captured about a day or two ago. I had just changed the background and installed and app and it always reverts to this point..
  5. chisox

chisox New Member

Even if I just turn the unit off, then back on, it resets itself. It will load all the apps that I had previously uninstalled before shutting down the unit.. Anyone have any idea what is going on?
  6. timczer

timczer New Member

modem

I had an issue where a recovery using clockworkmod locked and bricked my tab. I was able to put this rom on my tab and get it to work. My problem is, i have apparently lost the modem.bin for it. Airplane mode is always checked as on (can't be turned off), no gps and 3g signals.

Any idea how I can get these functions back working?
  7. timczer

timczer New Member

Any help with this?

Additional information. When I flashed my tab again with this stock firmware, and then got back into it, I started to redownload and reinstall some of my old apps. When I did this with Z4root, something strange occured. When I opened it, I had the option to reroot the tab, as it was saying it was already rooted. This seems to have persisted even after flashing it to the stock rom.

This makes me wonder about what part of the file system is not being touched during the flashing of the rom and is that the same place my problem with the radio is occuring as well.

Any thoughts?
  8. timczer

timczer New Member

Does anyone with this tab have the modem.bin they could possibly get for me to see if that will fix my problem?
  9. coker6303

coker6303 New Member

Thank you so much for the write up! Saved my arse! Everythign worked flawlessly, no boot loop so I didn't wipe data/cache. Booted right up and everything is just like I had it just before I locked it up.

Thanks again!
  10. coker6303

coker6303 New Member

Same problem here. They are not on the sdcard and I can't find them in the system. any ideas????
  11. Rouger

Rouger New Member

sitting on a Verizon Boot loop now:(

Did you ever figure out how to get past this? I'm in the same boat right now.
  12. Rouger

Rouger New Member

Any way anyone has a copy of the .pit file for the Verizon tab? I have searched and only found the P1_add_hidden.pit file from Samfirmware. Since it's P1, I'm not sure I can use it on the Verizon Tab so does anyone know this?
  13. cooljo555

cooljo555 New Member

As long as you are within the 30 days most places will not even know how to check if you rooted it, i have replaced two now this way as well as kept both 16gbmicrosd cards and get two free bc they didnt even check for them.

"Any way anyone has a copy of the .pit file for the Verizon tab? I have searched and only found the P1_add_hidden.pit file from Samfirmware. Since it's P1, I'm not sure I can use it on the Verizon Tab so does anyone know this?"

I screwed my tab using Verizon Tab Boostrapper from the market, trying to get to EXT4, it was already rooted with SuperOneClick; it booted into recovery and did a nandroid backup but i think failed the first time then tried to do some flashing then rebooted back into a nandroid backup finally completeing after what i think was a successful backup and EXT format. It may not be successful because when i try either of the md5 in Odin they both fail and i dont think i did enough research to find out how to push these files to the device yet.

After not reading what i should have nor having found a suitable stock verizon rom i tried relfashing with a JMF rom using odin which i am not sure if i jacked it even more but got it to boot to a different samsung startup screen but just hang up there, no carrier logo. Point being i can finally get back to a verizon startup screen after reformatting with P1_add_hidden.pit with the single vibrate followed by a double vibrate i notice this thing doing everytime it fails with an app or software in general.

After trying this method with heimdall and all files in their right places as instructed by the first post i can flash in download mode but heimdall never tells me that the flash is successful even after waiting a good 10-15 minutes after the progress bars stop. Should it take this long to complete the flash?

Also, i know you said not to use any other files in heimdall but if i try using a CWM zImage file from the forums or even one i found for verizon, i can get heimdall to flash and say successful completed flash but it still vibrates and loops on startup. Any suggestions?
  14. mrksbrd

mrksbrd New Member

Don't know the reason why I feel like I need to mod my devices...but once again I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I rooted tab which went flawless using z4root, after doing so I had the bright idea of installing CWM bootstrap and let it do its thing on reboot..said it backed up successfully created checksum...then it started a reinstall by itself erasing the boot just prior to. Ran fully thru the recovery asked me to reboot and WHAM....stuck on "samsung" boot screen. Now ii can't seem to get back into recovery to attempt another restore. I tried power + volume up and nothing. Only thing I am able to get into is the "downloading" prompt. Did I totally jack this thing up or what?? Please help this is only a day old.
  15. Rouger

Rouger New Member

There is a way to fix that.
    Search on this site for a file called verizon_zImage.
    Once you get that, using heimdall, load that file in the flash and recovery sections. This can be done either via the command line or the front end (GUI)
    I used the GUI with no problems but have heard a few people say it didn't work.
    command line should be something like this:
    heimdall flash --zImage verizon_zImage --recovery verizon_zImage

But the first thing you should do is relax. As long as you can get to the downloading page, it's fixable...

I have used Roto backup and have all the files to revert a verizon tab back to stock (just missing the data partition) so if you need them PM me as I don't have a location to host them yet.
  16. jeri2011

jeri2011 New Member

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! I thought I'd really borked my Tab. It was the CWM that didn't work right. I was able to completely restore my Tab. I've rooted and loaded new ROMs on two other Android devices with no problem but this time it didn't work out well. Back to stock until I figure out if it was a user error (most likely) or something else.
  17. Shiftyshadee

Shiftyshadee New Member

**SOLVED** Everything restored and works now. Thank you so much for this guide.

My problem is that it lists my tab as "gadget serial" in zadig and then just ends up aborting the driver installation. Windows 7 32bit. Any ideas?

Also windows keeps telling me it does not recognize the USB device.

FML?

**EDIT** Drivers are installed now but the screen on the tab is stuck at a phone with a exclamation triangle going to a pc?

Grrrr.......

**EDIT** it appears I have completely lost download mode......... Halp?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  18. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 New Member

Try turning the tab off.

Hold down+power and you'll see that screen. Now connect it to your computer. It SHOULD still be in download mode. Then flash again.
  19. oldsurferjoe

oldsurferjoe New Member

OK so you rom'ed your Verizon Galaxy Tab?

In reading all the comments on the Galaxy Tab and Rom's it is clear that a smooth process has not been worked out - yet!

Like using ROM Manager for my my Droid!

But my question is - it appears that some of you have achieved getting a ROM to work. What did you get for it - What does it do that it didn't do?

My goal if I had one - would be to get it to work like a phone as well as a tablet.

So come on guys fill us in!
  20. jgostained

jgostained New Member

Thanks so much for the time you took here! Saved my tab when I borked it up!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
Search tags for this page
dj11
dj11 modem.bin

heimdall galaxy tab

how to use heimdall for galaxy tab
samsung galaxy tab sch 1800 firmware
samsung galaxy tab sch-i800 stuck on verizon screen

samsung galaxy tab stock rom

sch i800 stock rom

sch-i800 stock rom

sch-i800 vzw stock.zip