How to reset razr m when screen is damaged and unviewable

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
There may be other ways to get to Recovery, hopefully someone will post corrections / suggestions if there is an easier way. Here is how I get into Recovery with my Razr M & KitKat:

1. Start with the phone powered off
2. Hold Vol Up / Vol Down and Power at the same time for 5 seconds
3. Very quickly tap Vol Down once to highlight “Recovery” and tap Vol Up to select.
** You have to be quick with number 3 or the phone will just reboot
4. Wait about 3 seconds. Now you will be at the Android on his back screen. Hold Vol Up and Power for 15 seconds > then release Power > release Vol up
5. You should be in the Recovery menu now. Tap Vol Down three times to highlight Wipe Data / Factory Reset > tap Power to select
6. Tap Vol Down 7 times to highlight Yes > tap Power to select

I am assuming that it is still 7 times down through all of the No options to highlight Yes for the FDR (didn't want to take the chance and accidentally FDR my phone today :biggrin:)

Well did a bunch of dry runs on good phone did last one with my eyes closed to see if I could get to recovery screen. I did so tried on broke phone. So after you Tap vol dwn 7 times and tap pwr how long does it take to wipe phone.
It still is 7 dwn as I went that far just to check.

Last edited:
OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
Here was my process to get to recovery screen. Basically same as sajokaz posted only times were different.

1. I started with power on and screen lite up.(I knew mine was lite up as my lock screen was set to slide and every time I slid screen or powered screen off it made a sound.)
2. Held power,vol up, and vol dwn for 7 seconds.
3. Released and immediately held power, vol up, and vol dwn for 3 seconds.
4. Waited 15 seconds for the android on his back screen. (That is how long it took.)
5. Held vol up and power for 15 seconds, then release power, then release vol up. (Which took me to recovery screen) Then vol dwn 3 times then power.
6. Then vol dwn 7 times then power.

Not sure how long it takes after tapping power button the last time.
I believe I was successful in wiping out the phone. Waited about 20 min. phone is off so i powered it back up have a white notification light blinking, also can't hear any sound when trying to unlock screen. Even tried to turn volume up. So now I will just let the battery drain. Shouldn't be too long as it was dead today I had to charge it up a little to wipe it out.

But I couldn't have done it with out all of the help I received from you guys. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
You should just let the battery drain completely like sajokaz said and not stress yourself. They probably never even look at the user data because they will tear down the device apart and refurbish it. This includes re flashing the phone.

Well that would have been the better way. But I was determined to get it. I am pretty big on security. I love it when someone comes to my house and asks for the password to my router, me and every one in room that has ever tried to input my 63 character passcode in starts laughing and I get the deer in the headlight look LOL. Then I hand them the paper and say good luck with that. But they try a few times then hand it back to me and ask if I would do it for them.

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
Well going forward I activated the device manager and signed up online but I don't keep my data or wi-fi on all the time. So would it be safe to have USB debugging enabled all the time. Just in case I break another screen.
Hopefully I won't as this is the first time in about 9 yrs. that I broke a phone and I work in a harsh environment as a millwright. Good thing for otter box cases as I have dropped this phone many times. Just not from the height of 4 feet. LOL

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Wow, you went through a lot, mrpontiac! It's great that the people in this forum are so helpful too :) Good luck going forward. Activating Device Mngr. it's a good idea, and leaving USB debugging on won't hurt anything, and in some instances can be a real lifesaver, as I've found out the hard way.

SwiftKeyed via Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well going forward I activated the device manager and signed up online but I don't keep my data or wi-fi on all the time. So would it be safe to have USB debugging enabled all the time. Just in case I break another screen.
Hopefully I won't as this is the first time in about 9 yrs. that I broke a phone and I work in a harsh environment as a millwright. Good thing for otter box cases as I have dropped this phone many times. Just not from the height of 4 feet. LOL

Glad to hear you go things worked out. Android Device Manager is a great tool for lost, stolen or broken phones. After you set it up on the website, did you select it as a Device Administrator in the phone's - Settings > Security? You have to do that for the remote wipe feature to work. I don't know of any harm in leaving USB Debugging enabled. Good luck with the new phone.

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
Yes I did select it as Device Admin. the only drawback to that is that I don't leave my data or wi fi on all the time. As I don't have unlimited data sharing 2gigs so I only turn it on when I need to use it to conserve data. Not to worried about lost or stolen phone as I always have it with me. But the USB debugging will come handy if I ever break screen again. That was a pain but I did it and learned alot in the process. Thanks for all the help guys.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes I did select it as Device Admin. the only drawback to that is that I don't leave my data or wi fi on all the time. As I don't have unlimited data sharing 2gigs so I only turn it on when I need to use it to conserve data. Not to worried about lost or stolen phone as I always have it with me. But the USB debugging will come handy if I ever break screen again. That was a pain but I did it and learned alot in the process. Thanks for all the help guys.

The way I understand it is there is no data connection to Google. That device admin selection is just a permission so you can wipe the phone remotely from the website when needed. I don't think there is ever any data connection unless you are logged into the website remotely accessing your phone.

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
On there website it says that if offline you can make changes but it won't take effect until it is back online(wi fi or data). Won't work at all if phone is powered off.