How to reset razr m when screen is damaged and unviewable

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by mrpontiac, May 27, 2014.

1. mrpontiac

mrpontiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really appreciate all the info. The only thing is i have yet to figure out how to power off phone. As to what bweN diorD posted what is adb devices, is this another program to download and use.

2. mrpontiac

mrpontiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update I've been practicing on my replacement razr m and I found that i can get to the recovery screen. Even with my phone powered on by by holding pwr, vol up and vol dwn for about 8 sec (will have to get the timing just right) then releasing then holding again for 5 secs per sajokaz's instructions. Will just do a few test runs on good phone to get the timing down. But i will not truly know if successful as I can't see the screen. So after performing on bad phone I will let battery drain as a back up and hope for the best. I truly appreciate all the help advice.

3. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Senior Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Current Phone Model:
    G2
    adb is a terminal script.
    adb devices is a command

google adb, you will get tons of helpful info.

4. mrpontiac

mrpontiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had googled it. But it seems that you have to have USB debugging on for it to work which i know is not turned on on that phone. Unless it is on by default.

#28 mrpontiac, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  5. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Senior Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Current Phone Model:
    G2
    ok, yes you would need that on.

6. droideddie13

droideddie13 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 6
    You should just let the battery drain completely like sajokaz said and not stress yourself. They probably never even look at the user data because they will tear down the device apart and refurbish it. This includes re flashing the phone.

7. mrpontiac

mrpontiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well did a bunch of dry runs on good phone did last one with my eyes closed to see if I could get to recovery screen. I did so tried on broke phone. So after you Tap vol dwn 7 times and tap pwr how long does it take to wipe phone.
    It still is 7 dwn as I went that far just to check.

#31 mrpontiac, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  8. mrpontiac

mrpontiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here was my process to get to recovery screen. Basically same as sajokaz posted only times were different.

1. I started with power on and screen lite up.(I knew mine was lite up as my lock screen was set to slide and every time I slid screen or powered screen off it made a sound.)
    2. Held power,vol up, and vol dwn for 7 seconds.
    3. Released and immediately held power, vol up, and vol dwn for 3 seconds.
    4. Waited 15 seconds for the android on his back screen. (That is how long it took.)
    5. Held vol up and power for 15 seconds, then release power, then release vol up. (Which took me to recovery screen) Then vol dwn 3 times then power.
    6. Then vol dwn 7 times then power.

Not sure how long it takes after tapping power button the last time.
    I believe I was successful in wiping out the phone. Waited about 20 min. phone is off so i powered it back up have a white notification light blinking, also can't hear any sound when trying to unlock screen. Even tried to turn volume up. So now I will just let the battery drain. Shouldn't be too long as it was dead today I had to charge it up a little to wipe it out.

But I couldn't have done it with out all of the help I received from you guys. Much appreciated.

#32 mrpontiac, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  9. mrpontiac

mrpontiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well that would have been the better way. But I was determined to get it. I am pretty big on security. I love it when someone comes to my house and asks for the password to my router, me and every one in room that has ever tried to input my 63 character passcode in starts laughing and I get the deer in the headlight look LOL. Then I hand them the paper and say good luck with that. But they try a few times then hand it back to me and ask if I would do it for them.

10. mrpontiac

mrpontiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well going forward I activated the device manager and signed up online but I don't keep my data or wi-fi on all the time. So would it be safe to have USB debugging enabled all the time. Just in case I break another screen.
    Hopefully I won't as this is the first time in about 9 yrs. that I broke a phone and I work in a harsh environment as a millwright. Good thing for otter box cases as I have dropped this phone many times. Just not from the height of 4 feet. LOL

11. mslaceyrose

mslaceyrose Active Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Wow, you went through a lot, mrpontiac! It's great that the people in this forum are so helpful too :) Good luck going forward. Activating Device Mngr. it's a good idea, and leaving USB debugging on won't hurt anything, and in some instances can be a real lifesaver, as I've found out the hard way.

SwiftKeyed via Tapatalk

12. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +13,133
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z4
    Glad to hear you go things worked out. Android Device Manager is a great tool for lost, stolen or broken phones. After you set it up on the website, did you select it as a Device Administrator in the phone's - Settings > Security? You have to do that for the remote wipe feature to work. I don't know of any harm in leaving USB Debugging enabled. Good luck with the new phone.

Search tags for this page

fdr razr m recovery

how can i factory reset my motorola android razr m on the computer
i have damaged my droid razor m default recovery red triangkle