How to reset razr m when screen is damaged and unviewable

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
Guess I can just let the battery drain till it shuts off. Then charge up and proceed with above process.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
There may be other ways to get to Recovery, hopefully someone will post corrections / suggestions if there is an easier way. Here is how I get into Recovery with my Razr M & KitKat:

1. Start with the phone powered off
2. Hold Vol Up / Vol Down and Power at the same time for 5 seconds
3. Very quickly tap Vol Down once to highlight “Recovery” and tap Vol Up to select.
** You have to be quick with number 3 or the phone will just reboot
4. Wait about 3 seconds. Now you will be at the Android on his back screen. Hold Vol Up and Power for 15 seconds > then release Power > release Vol up
5. You should be in the Recovery menu now. Tap Vol Down three times to highlight Wipe Data / Factory Reset > tap Power to select
6. Tap Vol Down 7 times to highlight Yes > tap Power to select

I am assuming that it is still 7 times down through all of the No options to highlight Yes for the FDR (didn't want to take the chance and accidentally FDR my phone today :biggrin:)
That's not gonna work. When I got the Kitkat update I could not get into recovery ever since. Anyway I am now gonna type up instruction for the op.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's not gonna work. When I got the Kitkat update I could not get into recovery ever since. Anyway I am now gonna type up instruction for the op.

Gonna have to politely disagree there. It might not work with a broken screen... But it works with a working screen. I have 4 RAZR M's and do a Cache Clear on at least one every other night using those steps.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6

Oh nevermind. I was able to get into recovery now. Should I still post the instructions?

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Gonna have to politely disagree there. It might not work with a broken screen... But it works with a working screen. I have 4 RAZR M's and do a Cache Clear on at least one every other night using those steps.

I was able to get into recovery now. Should I post the instructions?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I was able to get into recovery now. Should I post the instructions?

If there is s different way into Recovery / FDR that might be easier... Yes. That's how I get into Recovery for the Cache Wipe. I have heard of another way...but not sure if it was valid or not.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
if the phone is powered on, you could check with adb to see if it can see your phone.
adb devices
if that works, then enter
adb reboot bootloader
this will put your phone into flash mode, then simply grab the stock software from droid dev and flash it.

afterwards the phone will be stock and wiped clean.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Alright I am assuming that the instructions on the recovery method that sajokaz posted are still true for the Kitkat boot loader. I don't want to try it on my phone and by mistake wipe all my data but in case if it was changed here are instructions for re flashing the Droid RAZR M.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR RESTORING YOUR DROID RAZR M VIA RSD LITE:

Prerequisites:
1. RSD Lite 6.1.5.:RSDLite_v6.1.x - Download - 4shared -
2. Kitkat Fastboot Files (I already removed the "getvar" lines so you don't have to):VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-10.1_CFC_1FF - Download - 4shared -
3. Motorola Fastboot Drivers. Download these drivers via Motorola Device Manger. They will automatically install when you put your phone in fastboot mode.
4. Make sure you have a fully charged battery before continuing.

Instructions:
1. Completely power off the device and remove cases, sd cards, sim cards, etc. You don't have to remove things like the ones I mentioned but I would remove them so they don't interfere with the process.
2. Press and hold VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN at the same time. Continue holding these buttons and press and hold the POWER key for about 3-4 seconds.
3. At this point you have to act quick. Press VOLUME DOWN twice and VOLUME UP once.
4. At this point you should be in AP Fastboot. Plug in your usb cord to your computer. If drivers need to be installed download them via Motorola Device Manager. Assuming your drivers are installed open up RSD Lite.
5. On RSD Lite your phone should show up as "Connected." Browse for your fastboot files by clicking "..." at the top next to the button "Start."
6. After you selected your fastboot file click on your phone in RSD Lite and then click start. Your phone should start flashing. Be patient. This could take 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the info folks. This gives there OP more options. The last option is to just let the battery die and mail the phone back to VZW Repair Center "as is." Since its arriving broken they probably just instantly strip it to pieces and then rebuild it and install new software. They probably never even look to see if it had been wiped or not. Things to consider...instead of all these difficult options without any confirmation on the screen that any thing actually happened.

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the info. The only thing is i have yet to figure out how to power off phone. As to what bweN diorD posted what is adb devices, is this another program to download and use.

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
Update I've been practicing on my replacement razr m and I found that i can get to the recovery screen. Even with my phone powered on by by holding pwr, vol up and vol dwn for about 8 sec (will have to get the timing just right) then releasing then holding again for 5 secs per sajokaz's instructions. Will just do a few test runs on good phone to get the timing down. But i will not truly know if successful as I can't see the screen. So after performing on bad phone I will let battery drain as a back up and hope for the best. I truly appreciate all the help advice.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I really appreciate all the info. The only thing is i have yet to figure out how to power off phone. As to what bweN diorD posted what is adb devices, is this another program to download and use.

adb is a terminal script.
adb devices is a command

google adb, you will get tons of helpful info.

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
I had googled it. But it seems that you have to have USB debugging on for it to work which i know is not turned on on that phone. Unless it is on by default.

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I had googled it. But it seems that you have to have USB debugging on for it to work which i know is not turned on on that phone. Unless it is on by default.

ok, yes you would need that on.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
You should just let the battery drain completely like sajokaz said and not stress yourself. They probably never even look at the user data because they will tear down the device apart and refurbish it. This includes re flashing the phone.