How to reset razr m when screen is damaged and unviewable

mrpontiac

Reaction score
How can I reset my razr m when the screen is damaged and unviewable. I have a new one coming from asurion. But i will have to send mine back and i don't want to send it with info on it.

Michael

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
How can I reset my razr m when the screen is damaged and unviewable. I have a new one coming from asurion. But i will have to send mine back and i don't want to send it with info on it.

Michael

Did you ever setup Android Device Manager on-line and then on your phone also? If so, you can wipe your phone (FDR) from the Google Android Device Manager website.

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
No just updated to Kit Kat also it is offline. Has to activate a old phone for now till i get my new one.

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
Saw this in the razr forum would it apply to the razr m as well.

OK, I am going to assume you can get to the Boot Mode Selection Menu (BMSM = White text on Black background - but of course you can't see that...).

Once on the BMSM;

Press the Volume Down ONCE.
Press the Volume UP ONCE.
Wait at least 35 seconds (mine took 33 seconds for the Android ICON with the RED Triangle and Exclamation point to appear).
Press BOTH Volume Up and Down, then release.
You are now in Recovery.
Press the Volume UP several times (just to make sure you are starting at the top of the list, in case you accidentally hit the Volume Down when pulling up the Recovery screen as I did once).
Now...carefully press the Volume Down TWICE.
Then press the Power Button ONCE.
Next, press the Volume Down SEVEN (7) times (any number other than 7 will result in it going back to the previous menu, and then you'd have to hit Volume Down TWICE again and Power Button ONCE to get back here).
Finally, press the Power Button ONCE and it will do the Factory Data Reset.
Wait about 5 minutes to make sure the reset worked.
Press Power Button ONCE to reboot.
Done.

If you have Clockworkmod Recovery installed, then I believe you can skip to step 7.

If you can't see the screen and need to get to the BMSM from a fully powered on phone, you can;
Press and hold all three buttons, Power, Volume Up and Volume Down for 8-10 seconds (8 seconds worked for me, don't really need Volume Up but I find it's easier to do when making the transition to the next step).
Then briefly release all three, and then press and hold all three again for at least another 5 seconds.
You are now in the BMSM.
Jump to step one in the first section.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
How old was that thread? I think (could be wrong though) that those are the steps prior to KitKat. The process changed with KiyKat. Its worth a try though. The tough thing is...without any screen at all...you will not know for sure if the FDR truly worked with those steps.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Saw this in the razr forum would it apply to the razr m as well.

OK, I am going to assume you can get to the Boot Mode Selection Menu (BMSM = White text on Black background - but of course you can't see that...).

Once on the BMSM;

Press the Volume Down ONCE.
Press the Volume UP ONCE.
Wait at least 35 seconds (mine took 33 seconds for the Android ICON with the RED Triangle and Exclamation point to appear).
Press BOTH Volume Up and Down, then release.
You are now in Recovery.
Press the Volume UP several times (just to make sure you are starting at the top of the list, in case you accidentally hit the Volume Down when pulling up the Recovery screen as I did once).
Now...carefully press the Volume Down TWICE.
Then press the Power Button ONCE.
Next, press the Volume Down SEVEN (7) times (any number other than 7 will result in it going back to the previous menu, and then you'd have to hit Volume Down TWICE again and Power Button ONCE to get back here).
Finally, press the Power Button ONCE and it will do the Factory Data Reset.
Wait about 5 minutes to make sure the reset worked.
Press Power Button ONCE to reboot.
Done.

If you have Clockworkmod Recovery installed, then I believe you can skip to step 7.

If you can't see the screen and need to get to the BMSM from a fully powered on phone, you can;
Press and hold all three buttons, Power, Volume Up and Volume Down for 8-10 seconds (8 seconds worked for me, don't really need Volume Up but I find it's easier to do when making the transition to the next step).
Then briefly release all three, and then press and hold all three again for at least another 5 seconds.
You are now in the BMSM.
Jump to step one in the first section.

That method won't work. It has nothing to do with KitKat. Its just that the Droid RAZR and the Droid RAZR M have different boot loaders. I know this cause I have seen them both. I have the RAZR M. I will tell you what to do in the after noon I am getting ready for class right now.

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
Now I am able to connect to my computer via a usb cable. I can see the internal storage I copied some of those files and then deleted everything. Then went through the above process and connected to computer again
some of those files showed up again.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There may be other ways to get to Recovery, hopefully someone will post corrections / suggestions if there is an easier way. Here is how I get into Recovery with my Razr M & KitKat:

1. Start with the phone powered off
2. Hold Vol Up / Vol Down and Power at the same time for 5 seconds
3. Very quickly tap Vol Down once to highlight “Recovery” and tap Vol Up to select.
** You have to be quick with number 3 or the phone will just reboot
4. Wait about 3 seconds. Now you will be at the Android on his back screen. Hold Vol Up and Power for 15 seconds > then release Power > release Vol up
5. You should be in the Recovery menu now. Tap Vol Down three times to highlight Wipe Data / Factory Reset > tap Power to select
6. Tap Vol Down 7 times to highlight Yes > tap Power to select

I am assuming that it is still 7 times down through all of the No options to highlight Yes for the FDR (didn't want to take the chance and accidentally FDR my phone today :biggrin:)

OP
M

mrpontiac

Reaction score
My phone is on how do i power it off. I tried using the normal way as my wife has same phone i used that as a guide as to where to touch screen. But that part of my screen does not work this also happened when i dropped it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My phone is on how do i power it off. I tried using the normal way as my wife has same phone i used that as a guide as to where to touch screen. But that part of my screen does not work this also happened when i dropped it.

If there is a way to do that...I am not aware of it. A Google search brings up a lot of questions like that with no answers.